I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Using old finish?
Posted by: Chris Zarza (---)
Date: December 10, 2022 06:20PM

I’ve got some flexcoat that seems be pretty discolored. I’ve taken a pretty long hiatus in rod building and repair. I want to say like 5+ years.

I’m currently testing it out to see if it still hardens completely.

Do any of y’all have experience using old epoxy or finish?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Using old finish?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 10, 2022 06:24PM

It will work fine. Epoxy doesn't really have a shelf life. Get fresh if it makes you feel better, or even try what you have a test wrap just to calm any apprehension.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---)
Date: December 11, 2022 07:17PM

I just used finished a rod today with finish that was at least 10 years old. It gets more of an amber color over time, but it mixed, and performed great. Cured perfectly.

DR

Posted by: Sam McKormak (196.196.203.---)
Date: December 12, 2022 01:49AM

It should work perfectly fine, I've even used it a couple of times on my old rifles and cheap stocks from local gun store [gritrsports.com] . Personally, I'm just a huge fan of Flex coat in general.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2023 05:28AM by Sam McKormak.

Posted by: Dean Veltman (94.140.9.---)
Date: December 12, 2022 07:38AM

I have done the same thing. Got back into rod building over covid and working through a couple batches of old epoxy. I have not had any issues. If doing lighter wraps, could be more of an issue. But, the applied coat is so much thinner than what is in the bottle that the amber color is not noticeable at least with darker thread colors. If you are doing white blanks or wraps, test it first for sure.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 12, 2022 10:46AM

Even new finish will turn amber after a bit of time, both in the bottle and on the wraps.

Posted by: John Cates (Moderator)
Date: December 13, 2022 10:37AM

We always say to never buy an amount of finish that you can't use in 1 year. Not because it will go bad, but because of best practices. The Part A can crystalize like honey and the Part B can amber in color. You can melt the crystals with heat but the amber color will remain. Just know that you will be thinning the amber Part B with the Part A and then brushing into a thin coat on your rod. When you see the amber Part B in the bottle, you are looking through 1 inch or more of it. On your rod it will be reduced by 50% and then less than 1/16". You will only notice the amber on white or other light colors.

If you find yourself with old finish that you don't want to use on wraps, use it as glue, it just takes longer to cure and it has very high adhesion.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: December 16, 2022 08:19AM

And if you don't like the idea that the finish is slightly yellowed, you can add pigment to it and use it for marbling, or to color finish for thread wraps. I used some on an old G Loomis factory rod I refurbished. Using pigment to color the finsh to the silver color of the blank. Turned out great !!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster