I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to Place Guides on Bowed Fly Rod Sections
Posted by: Ronald Atchley (96.125.236.---)
Date: December 07, 2022 08:58PM

I have almost gotten used to dealing with a curve in the last few inches of my spinning rod blanks - I just align the guides with the blank in a "tip up" orientation . Works pretty well but .... I'm just starting on my first fly rod - a 9 foot , 5wt , 2 piece and the butt section is curved or "bowed" so that , when it is rolled on a flat surface to a certain orientation , the center is touching but both ends are at least 1/8 of an inch up off the surface . The same thing is true of the tip section but to a slightly smaller amount . The tip section also has the usual bend starting 4 - 6 inches from the tip but , to complicate matters , this forward bend is about 90 degrees off the axis of the bow .
How do I best select the axis to place the guides ? I believe I have read an article in the archives here discussing the problem with bowed sections but have been unable to find it again .
Thanks .
Ron

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to Place Guides on Bowed Fly Rod Sections
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 07, 2022 09:21PM

If you can align them so that each section puts the bend in a position where the belly is down and the tip and butt up, you should have an overall bend along a straight axis. Again, belly down and tip and butt up. This will give you the strongest orientation possible in terms of deadlift strength. On a fly rod the guides would go along the bottom of this orientation.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: December 07, 2022 09:47PM

WOW, I don't know what blank you have, but in over 40 years of fly rod building, I never seen a blank that bad. I'd send it back!

Date: December 08, 2022 05:46AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you can align them so that each section puts
> the bend in a position where the belly is down and
> the tip and butt up, you should have an overall
> bend along a straight axis. Again, belly down and
> tip and butt up. This will give you the strongest
> orientation possible in terms of deadlift
> strength. On a fly rod the guides would go along
> the bottom of this orientation.

Thank you . I can see where this orientation would increase deadlift capacity . But , with the type of fishing I do , deadlift capacity is not the primary concern . Casting accuracy , distance , and "feel" are more important to me . Unfortunately , the fish I catch aren't that large so the functions before hooking the fish might be where I need to concentrate . If this tip and butt position would also be better for the casting functions , then so much the better ,
Thanks again.
Ron

Date: December 08, 2022 05:54AM

Phil Erickson Wrote:
> WOW, I don't know what blank you have, but in over
> 40 years of fly rod building, I never seen a blank
> that bad. I'd send it back!

Thanks Mr. Erickson .
I plan to try to get accurate measurements of the problem this morning and then contact the company that made it . It'll be interesting to see how it plays out .
Thanks again.
Ron

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 08, 2022 06:50AM

If you build on it none of your priorities will be compromised by aligning the guides as Tom suggested. And the curve will be less noticeable.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 08, 2022 07:28AM

You'll get a little better response if you build it the way I mentioned. Casting accuracy is really something that comes from the person making the cast, not so much the rod.

Date: December 08, 2022 08:18AM

Phil Erickson Wrote:
> WOW, I don't know what blank you have, but in over
> 40 years of fly rod building, I never seen a blank
> that bad. I'd send it back!

Mr. Erickson,
Your comment of no blanks being that bad in 40 years prompted me to remeasure . The maximum deviation at the forward end of the butt section is just under 1/16 inch and the maximum deviation at the butt is just a hair over 1/16 inch . The axis orientation of the tip maximum deviation is approximately 20 degrees but I had no way to measure that accurately . ( My guess ?? is that would suggest a slight bend as well as a bow ?? ) Perhaps this brings the blank back into industry norms . I'll still check with the company to be sure .
Thanks again.
Ron

Date: December 08, 2022 08:21AM

Mr. Danek and Mr. Kirkman .
I will certainly take your advice and build with the tip and butt up . Thank you.
Ron

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster