I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: How to buy a fly line for my new rod?
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 06, 2022 03:56PM

Because you are an "extremely competent" caster you can handle a line that light.

Still not willing to comment on the derivation of/reason for ERN as opposed to just leaving it with IP?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 06, 2022 04:28PM

I stand corrected, I've been cleaning and dressing and packing lines (off and on between cups of coffee) since 6 am, it's one of those days. Teeny, SA, Cortland, Royal Wulffe, and Rio Skagit and Mid Spey. SA has had good bonefish tapers for a good long time, this to me just seems like an improvement and it isn't a bit fussy about which of my 8 wt. rods I put it on. Only have just enough Zipcast left for 2-3 lines, what is everyone using now?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 06, 2022 04:42PM

Weight is a poor way of expressing power to the consumer. Dr. Hanneman knew this and we talked about it many times. He did not feel that fishermen were stupid but did understand that it would require additional information instead of being more intuitive. Dr. Bill got a lot of flack for making things more simple, but this was in fact his real genius.

Out of respect for Dr. Hanneman and the system as he designed it I will continue to use the terms as he specified. Others can use whatever terms they wish. It would be nice if they would coin a different name for their system but no one has control over that sort of thing. The authentic CCS uses AA for action and ERN for power. Otherwise, the argument is just plain silly. Do or use whatever you want. Nobody is stopping you.

Date: December 06, 2022 04:58PM

Tom, with all due respect, we have not been asking to change the terms of CCS. We have only been asking for your comments on the derivation of ERN , why it was done , and how Dr. Hanneman came up with the correction he did. It would help us understand and respect the system. You are probably the only person who knows.

I don't know what the reluctance is all about.

I have proposed my conclusion, and without further comment from you, I'll just assume I'm correct.

Your comment of the "authentic CCS uses AA for action and ERN for power. . ." ignores the fact that Dr. Hanneman used both ERN and IP when talking about rod power. An example:

"In order to objectively recommend the proper line for any
rod you build, you must know the intrinsic power (IP) of
that rod, the type of line (floating or sinking), and the
length of line to be aerialized. "

He did not say ". . . you must know the ERN of that rod. . . "

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2022 04:59PM by Michael Danek.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 06, 2022 05:15PM

Dr. Hanneman said that IP would be expressed in the CCS as ERN. Why he used the terms he did is beyond me. I never liked them, but those were his terms and they have been published and in print for nearly 20 years. ERN is just a relative power figure. The higher the number the greater the power. That's all there is to it. Not hard to understand, which was his point in using it that way.

Date: December 06, 2022 05:16PM

I must have been right.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster