I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CCS Database
Posted by: Ronald Atchley (96.125.236.---)
Date: December 05, 2022 07:40AM

How current is the CCS Database in the link on the left ? Am I right in assuming that values listed there are from several different contributors ? ( There are just too many cases where the same blank model is listed with different values . ) I've been lurking on the recent thread about IP, AA, ERN, etc.
Thanks.
Ron

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CCS Database
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 05, 2022 09:42AM

It's not very current because only a few builders have sent data. To your question about different values for the same blank - data is only as good as the person generating it. There are, of course, minor variations among blanks of the same model. Blanks are not precision machined parts - a lot of manual labor goes into making them. The best results would come from the blank manufacturers but even those that initially adopted the CCS have gotten away from it, preferring to use their own "system" for describing their blanks.

Posted by: Ronald Atchley (---)
Date: December 05, 2022 12:58PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's not very current because only a few builders
> have sent data. To your question about different
> values for the same blank - data is only as good
> as the person generating it. There are, of course,
> minor variations among blanks of the same model.
> Blanks are not precision machined parts - a lot of
> manual labor goes into making them. The best
> results would come from the blank manufacturers
> but even those that initially adopted the CCS have
> gotten away from it, preferring to use their own
> "system" for describing their blanks.

Thank you . The variations are certainly minor and of little to no functional significance . Just wondered if they were due to measurement technique or blank variation .
Since you mentioned manufacturers , are their "systems" proprietary ? I have also wondered what "system" they use for lure weight ranges . If there is anyone with more knowledge of the industry than you , I don't know of him/her so I thought I'd ask .
Thanks again .
Ron

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 05, 2022 01:40PM

Manufacturer ratings follow the time honored "guess and by golly" technique, and even regional water and fishing differences are involved.

Date: December 05, 2022 01:57PM

Manufacturers typically use a given amount of weight and then per the deflection attained will assign a power rating to the rod. This was a system developed by Cortland back in the 60's. It had some flaws in that you could not use the same weight constant for all types of rods. The amount of weight that would double up an ultra-light light rod wouldn't begin to deflect a surf rod. So different weight constants are used which results in the power ratings being unique for each rod type. A 4-power bass rod won't have the same power as a 4-power saltwater rod. And they don't all use the same weight or deflection scales. So a 6-power Loomis and a 6-power Batson or whatever are not likely to have the exact same power.

Casting weight is somewhat subjective and due to different casting styles a general range of casting lure weights is given. Blank designers can usually take a known model and add or subtract material as needed to move the casting weight range up or down as required, to obtain a higher or lower casting weight range.

Posted by: Ronald Atchley (---)
Date: December 05, 2022 08:10PM

Really appreciate y'all taking the time to help me with this . Perhaps you can understand that , with all of the above being true , it is difficult for new comers to feel comfortable buying " a pig in a poke" . I guess it's like a lot of things where you have to pay your dues and get a little experience under your belt . That can be disheartening for old codgers :)
Thanks again.
Ron

Date: December 05, 2022 09:17PM

It is but you do have the years of experience from folks on this forum. If you know what you want to do and have a few blanks in mind, do not hesitate to ask the users here which model they think will fit your needs best.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster