I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Finish - Searching for Lower Odor / Smell
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dynamic.norvado.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: December 03, 2022 09:49AM

I have used Flex Coat High Build for years, but looking for something with longer pot life. The odor on the High Build was OK.

I recently tried the Lite formula, and it worked well for properties I was looking for, but I notice a little more odor and it seems a bit sharper.

Have you guys found any particular finish that's a lower odor?

Have not used anything but the High Build for years - any input appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Finish - Searching for Lower Odor / Smell
Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: December 03, 2022 11:36AM

I personally never found any rod finish to have a strong odor . To me they all smell quite similar and not offensive in any way shape or form .

I have not found any finishes that have a lower odor than others . I'm talking about finishes that are two part , I haven't used any other types.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 03, 2022 12:25PM

D-2 from VooDoo rods. I've been using it for years since Gene was still around.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: December 03, 2022 02:30PM

Dennis Danku Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> D-2 from VooDoo rods. I've been using it for years
> since Gene was still around.

X2

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 03, 2022 02:40PM

Pro Kote seems to me to have the longest pot life. I've never thought that any wrap epoxy had a significant odor.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 03, 2022 02:49PM

Pro Kote has a strong odor. I have 2 (two) 64oz kits that I use sparingly only for small repairs. I also was comfortable using
Pac-Bay epoxy but cant get it anymore.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2022 02:54PM by Dennis Danku.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: December 03, 2022 03:09PM

Marc,

You probably already know this, but thought I'd throw it in there just in case:

You can extend the pot life of your finish by pouring it out on a sheet of foil after mixing. I wouldn't say it doubles the pot life or anything like that, but it does extend the working time.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: December 03, 2022 04:21PM

Thanks Leslie - yes I do pour it out on a plate.

I need to play with the Flex Coat Lite more - it's handling really well, but just caught me (and my wife) as having more odor than the UV formula.

I ordered some U-40 Duragloss LS Supreme and some Generation 4 - any thoughts on either of those?

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 04, 2022 08:44AM

Marc,
Out of curiosity - how much time do you wish to have for a freshly mixed batch of finish?

For myself, I figure 5-10 minutes per batch and that works very well for me and most of the finishes n the market will give me that much time.

Normally, no need to have a pot life that is longer than 10 minutes as long as everything is set up and ready to go - before starting to mix a finish.

When I mix, I mix for 2 minutes of 120 seconds as measured by the clock on the wall and then go to work.

The 10 minutes that I get from a freshly matched batch give me plenty of time for one full pass of finish on a rod.

So, each rod and each coat gets a fresh batch.

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (73.154.156.---)
Date: December 04, 2022 09:49AM

I never noticed a smell with Flex Coat and that's all I've ever used. Maybe I haven't been paying attention to it.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 04, 2022 09:52AM

Epoxy doesn't out-gas so in order to smell anything you've have to be trying.

Now urethanes such as Permagloss do have a strong aroma and it's best to have some good ventilation going if you're going to use them on a regular basis.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: December 04, 2022 12:38PM

Marc,

I have used LS Supreme, Gen 4, and ThreadMaster. None of them have an odor I can detect. I like ThreadMaster the most, though Gen 4 is prety good.

(Pro Kote epoxy paste, not the thread epoxy, does have a detectable odor. Good paste, just on the smelly side, IMO)

I wonder if the "smell" came from some other product you may have used around the time you batched some thread epoxy? Example, you thinned some jig paint with M.E.K..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster