I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Why not ALWAYS wrap this way? (Good for unsanded X-ray?)
Posted by: El Bolinger (50.233.0.---)
Date: November 30, 2022 11:46AM

This seems like a solid wrapping, I admit I'm new - but this appears to me that it would hold equally well as with "traditional" wrapping techniques.

I've seen comments about wrapping on unsanded X-ray blanks and wonder if this would help - thoughts?

It let me post so in trying the link here Again...

[youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2022 11:11PM by El Bolinger.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why not ALWAYS wrap this way? (Good for unsanded X-ray?)
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 30, 2022 05:30PM

I don't see what you are proposing as a wrap method.

Posted by: Ronald Atchley (96.125.236.---)
Date: November 30, 2022 05:45PM

Ahhh.... The search continues for the missing link LOL

Posted by: El Bolinger (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 30, 2022 11:10PM

Let's see if it works now...

[youtube.com]

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 01, 2022 05:00AM

I have seen this video before, and several things come to mind:

* Wrapping from the guide ring to the foot runs the risk of the thread gapping due to slippage on the guide-foot ramp.
* Requires a precision ground guide-foot, even with the size D thread used in the video. Any blunt end would risk the thread slipping off the foot.
* Not all threads will behave properly for that wrap-ending procedure. Light-colored threads could show a burn mark.
* The wrap is highly susceptible to the tack coming undone, especially on painted blanks.

I have wrapped hundreds of rods in my 54+ year carreer and while I am open to new techniques and processes, this is not one on which I am willing to risk burnt fingers and thumbs.

With regard to the unsanded X-ray, simply wrap in the opposite direction of the spiral ridges. This will help keep the threads from gapping as much. Another hint is to use a larger thread size. If you usually use A, try B instead. This still looks as good as A but is much easier to wrap on the unsanded blanks.

Rich

Date: December 01, 2022 06:57AM

I agree with Richard. It also does not solve one of the issues with ridged blanks, that of the difficulty of sliding and packing nail knot trim rings. It's not an insurmountable problem, but a pain that I prefer not to deal with.

Posted by: El Bolinger (50.233.0.---)
Date: December 01, 2022 09:04AM

Hmm, thanks for your thoughts.

@RICHARD - isn't that wrapping opposite the spiral ridges?

Given the difficulties wrapping a ridged rod what's the impact of a novice builder doing a novice job of wrapping on that blank? Will a mediocre wrap job have an exponential negative impact?

I only have size A thread and with shipping I don't think it would be worth ordering size B or greater - could I just grab some Walmart thread? Would size D be even better?

Date: December 01, 2022 09:40AM

"Walmart" thread is not a good solution. You don't really know what you're going to get. Stick with threads designed for rodbuilding.

I wrap both ways on rods, so limiting myself to one way would just be another complication that can be avoided by wrapping smooth blanks. I too have no desire to replace my pretty extensive inventory of size A thread.

A less than perfect wrap job will not affect significantly the function of the rod, just the aesthetics.

Ed, if you have ridged blanks and are wondering what to do, I suggest you just gut it out and wrap them with what you have. It's not impossible, just a complication. Then in the future order smooth blanks. I doubt if anyone can prove any significant advantage to the unsanded blanks. Unless it's the cost savings advantage for the maker of not having to sand them. But no functional advantage. If there is one, then there should be objective data of some kind to prove it.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 01, 2022 11:01AM

I’ve wrapped a bunch of unsanded NFC X-ray blanks and have not really had that much difficulty wrapping them. Size B and D thread wrap easier, and look just as good as A thread. In many cases, it looks even better because you don’t get as many crossovers and gaps, plus they’re a little more opaque. If you are having difficulty packing the threads then loosen up a little on the thread tension.
The wrapping technique shown in the video is something I would never do for the reasons outlined above. In addition, you can’t do a locking wrap with this type of technique nor can you do a trim wrap. Not a very versatile wrapping technique.
Norm

Posted by: Daniel Grundvig (---)
Date: December 01, 2022 11:05AM

" I doubt if anyone can prove any significant advantage to the unsanded blanks. Unless it's the cost savings advantage for the maker of not having to sand them."

Michael, I think you nailed it!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 01, 2022 11:06AM

I would think wrapping in the other direction helps, would be easy to do when hand wrapping. I've wrapped fly rods and quite a few Lamiglas flame glass tipped hot shot blanks and I don't remember a big problem doing so. It's been a long while but I believe the UglyStik blanks also had ridges.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2022 11:24AM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: December 01, 2022 11:17AM

As long as the "other direction" moves the thread onto the guide foot rather than off it. I'm not sure which way the ridges are oriented.

Posted by: Pawel Tymendorf (---.aa.ipv6.supernova.orange.pl)
Date: December 01, 2022 03:19PM

I think there are some advantages of unsanded blanks, actually. Taking into consideration that what is an advantage depends on what we want to achieve in the given situation. Having said that, my 2 observations:

1. unsanded blanks are little bit more stiff. Good example is NFC MB blanks Delta vs. IM. Same models, basically IM's are just sanded Deltas - little bit softer.

2. you can prodcuce thinner walled / lighter / more sensitive blanks if you are not afraid of damaging structure of the blank during sandig process. Good example are some of the Matagi blanks

Best regards,
Pavel

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 01, 2022 03:53PM

I never worry about unsanded blanks.
If the blank is not sanded, I simply sand it down and then build on the clean finish free sanded blank.

Best wishes

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 01, 2022 07:23PM

I think if the blank is rough enough to inhibit packing of thread, go over it with a damp scotchbrite pad. No need to sand off all the ridges as long as it doesn't "bite" into the thread. (Sanding always implies aggressiveness.) Little is needed.

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 10, 2022 11:42PM

Ed,

I don't lnow your locale so cannot say what is available in your area. I get my ProWrap size B thread either directly from American Tackle or through Mudhole. In order to mitigate the shipping charge atributable to the thread, I make sure the order contains enough items to spread the shipping costs as much as possible.

If you are in Florida, anywhere near Oviedo, you can visit Mudhole. Also, HFF Custom Rods in Taylor Michigan provides a new on-site shopping opportunity for builders in the midwest, and today was their Grand Opening!.

Rich

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 11, 2022 06:02AM

I gotta agree with those citing the potential problem with wrapping down hill on a guide foot ramp. And as far as wrapping on blanks with ridges of any kind along its' surface, it's not something I ever want to try doing.

Whether I need to or not, I use pretty high thread tension when wrapping. I'm not going to lessen that tension just to make wrapping on a ridged blank easier. I'll just stick with blanks that have smooth surfaces.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: December 11, 2022 11:13AM

Easy....Does It.

There are a fair number of rod building "problems" that can be solved BEFORE they become a problem. Like David said, struggling with wrapping an un-burnished X-Ray blank? - get the Mirror Black finish model because it is smooth...or build on other blanks/models with smooth finishes. There are a million choices out there.

I try to make it easy on myself. Use best practices and products designed for the task. Things turn out fine and I am happy. So many veteran builders on this forum have already been there and done that - and are the kind of people who want to save me some grief and see me succeed.

I do marvel at how fast the production rod folks can spin out a wrap, and it looks pretty good, too, for what it is. They have developed time-saving techniques that work for the off-the-shelf rod market. I don't mind spending extra time building a rod for myself or a friend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2022 10:07AM by Leslie Cline.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster