I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

silk thread
Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.delta.com)
Date: November 29, 2022 10:10PM

I have never tried using silk thread, and I did search for this answer with no luck, why / when do you use silk thread?

Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: silk thread
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 30, 2022 02:08AM

You use silk when you want to, it is as simple as that.

Date: November 30, 2022 03:37AM

LOL, If I have a good selection of nylon and metallic threads, why would I add silk thread to the mix? strength? transparent? stronger? Just trying to figure out why one would want to use it

Steve

Posted by: Jamie Midgley (---.tpkaks01.propelwireless.com)
Date: November 30, 2022 04:08AM

It's extremely fine, that's the reason. When I am building lightweight fly rods and want to keep buildup as fine as possible that is what I choose. Add to that, the colors and translucency of silk is unmatched so for rods that call for any of the above, silk is the answer. Not better or worse, just different. The difference being; finer, better colors and better translucency.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 30, 2022 09:00AM

All good info from above.

I read an article that shows how the white silk thread becomes transparent when the finish is applied giving the illusion of an unwrapped guide.

Get a small spool of silk and some scrap material and play with it.

Have fun

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: November 30, 2022 11:39AM

Silk was used before nylon was developed, since then, nylon has replaced silk for most rod wrapping applications, in addition to Jamie's comments above, it is used today when wanting to build bamboo rods traditionally.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: November 30, 2022 12:34PM

FYI, if you want transparent / clear / ghost wraps use natural color silk, which appears to be a rather dull white and which is the natural color of silk that has not been dyed. Silk labeled white is often dyed white and is not what you want for transparent / clear / ghost wraps.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: November 30, 2022 04:09PM

I used to use silk for all my weaves because the color selection allowed me to match Mother Nature, but harder to maintain spool color with any CP.

Posted by: Ed Rose (---)
Date: November 30, 2022 04:42PM

I recently used size 100 silk on my first bamboo fly rod build - the wraps are beautiful - like colored epoxy.
Just be sure to have good magnifier glasses - the cross wraps can be hard to see!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2022 04:43PM by Ed Rose.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 30, 2022 04:45PM

You can get Silk in "A" size like other threads, since it is a natural fiber, it absorbs more finish which it why you can see through it so well compared the synthetics. Properly spun silk is stronger than nylon, it is the strongest natural fiber. You can get silk metallics also.

Date: November 30, 2022 08:07PM

Perfect, thanks for all the info. I'll give it a try.

Steve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster