I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First timer trying to make a salmon/steelhead Twitching/Spinning rod would like your help
Posted by: Aaron Koo (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: November 22, 2022 07:54PM

Hello Community,

I am attempting to make my first rods, one for my 9 year old nephew and also one for me. The rods will be used for Twitching/Spinning rod for salmon and steelhead for the rivers near Vancouver BC (Vedder river, Capilano river, Stave river, etc..). it will be paired with a Shimano Vanford 3000xg spinning reel. I would like a 2 piece rod for ease of transport and storage. I am asking for help on selecting what blank and components to use for this rod and tips on building it.

Blank not sure on which one will suit me best
Blank North Fork Composites:
HS 7600-2(HM)
WEIGHT 1.7 oz- BUTT 0.52- LENGTH 90- ACTION Ex-Fast- LINE WEIGHT- 6-12- LURE WEIGHT 1/4-1/2- POWER Mag Light- TIP 4.4- PIECES 2

HS 7600-2(IM)
WEIGHT 1.9 oz- BUTT 0.52- LENGTH 90- ACTION Ex-Fast- LINE WEIGHT 6-12- LURE WEIGHT 1/4-1/2- POWER Mag Light- TIP 4.5- PIECES 2

HS 760-2(HM)
WEIGHT 1.6 oz-BUTT 0.52- LENGTH 90- ACTION Ex-Fast- LINE WEIGHT 8-15- LURE WEIGHT 1/4-3/4- POWER Mag Medium- TIP 4/4- PIECES 2

HS 760-2(IM)
WEIGHT 1.8 oz- BUTT 0.49- LENGTH 90- ACTION Ex-Fast- LINE WEIGHT 8-15- LURE WEIGHT 1/4-3/4- POWER Mag Medium- TIP 4.7- PIECE 2

Reel Seat what is the most comfortable? Never held them in my hand. I wear a large size glove

Fuji Deluxe Light Spin/Cast Reel Seat IPSSD 16mm
American Tackle CCT AERO Spinning Reel Seat uni lock 16mm
American Tackle AERO Comfort Finish Reel Seat 17mm

Grips North Fork Composites

1K-IPS3.75-2.0 Soft Touch
Not sure on what NFC soft grip that works with the CCT Aerro reel seat orAero Comfort seat

Guides I am not sure on, I tired Microwave guides on my friend's spinning rod and it seemed it cast smooth. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance for your guidance.

Aaron

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2022 09:04PM by Aaron Koo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First timer trying to make a salmon/steelhead Twitching/Spinning rod would like your help
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 24, 2022 01:25AM

Aaron,
The Edge rods you see out there twitching are on the HS 760 blanks, you need the extra oomph for the larger jigs that are becoming more popular, and you could tie into a chinook also. The grip you mention is for the Fuji IPS reel seat, they are a comfortable option, but get the reel seat quickly as they appear to be out of production and being replaced with the VSS, the VSS appears to be a slightly smaller diameter and shape. A 17 mm Aero will fit any of the standard 27 mm grips in carbon, cork, Winn, whatever. A bit more expensive reel seat to buy and I personally don't see an increase in comfort over the IPS. Not knowing your location, I can't comment on guides, I wouldn't use the Microwaves in hard frost/icy conditions.

Re: First timer trying to make a salmon/steelhead Twitching/Spinning rod would like your help
Date: November 24, 2022 03:44AM

Thank you for the reply Spencer!

The HS 760 is what I will get, do you recommend the HM or IM model?

For the Fuji IPS seat what is the difference between the IPSM and te IPSD? Price and gold lettering?

I will get the NFC 1K-IPS3.75-2.0 Soft Touch to go with the Fuji IPS reel seat.

I am from Vancouver BC Canada, the weather is wet similar to Seattle Washington. I am new to fishing in the wintertime, I have only fished for salmon during summer and fall when it doesn't freeze. I'm thinking about trying for steelhead for the first time this winter, not sure if twitching is effective for steelhead.
Here is the average temperature for our coldest month
Average January Weather in Chilliwack Canada
Daily high temperatures increase by 2 °C, from 5 °C to 8 °C, rarely falling below 0 °C or exceeding 12 °C.

Daily low temperatures increase by 1 °C, from 1 °C to 2 °C, rarely falling below -6 °C or exceeding 6 °C.

WIll Microwave guides be okay for this temperature? What size guides 20, 25, 30? or other suggestions?

Anything else I need to order for the components for the build?

Thank you again!

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 24, 2022 10:43AM

The difference between the IPS M vs D is price, gold lettering, and hood color. I almost always buy just the reel seat without a hood. This gives me the option of using the hood I want, such as KSKSS, KSDPS, or SKSS. The VSS 17 and the IPS16 seat have approximately the same OD, so quite similar. The problem is that NFC doesn’t make a soft touch grip for the VSS17. Not a big fan of the Aero reel seat, but it also has an OD similar to the IPS and VSS17 seats, but in my opinion not as comfortable. I also prefer Fuji KR guides vs AT microwave guides, but that’s your choice.

Norm

PS - The AT CF G2 Fore grip sleeve in matte 3K carbon is a perfect match for the NFC 1K soft touch grip, and will fit the Fuji KSKSS 16 hidden thread hood.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2022 10:53AM by Norman Miller.

Date: November 24, 2022 11:01PM

Thank you for the reply Norm!

I think the rod would look better with your suggestion of using the hood that you want instead of what Fuji gives you. Currently The Mud Hole only has 2 IPSM16/B in stock and I need 3 reel seats. If I buy the IPSM-16BC can i remove the Fuji hood and one of the hoods that you suggest?

I know nothing about guides, I just saw that my friend had Microwave guides on his rod and he said it casts well. What are the differences between the 2 different guides?

Date: November 25, 2022 10:10AM

Sure, just remove the hood that comes with the reel seat and replace it with another type. All of the Fuji hoods will fit all the standard Fuji reel seats of a given size. In fact, in some cases, but not all, you can even use hoods from other manufacturers.
Both the microwave and KR concept systems are designed to rapidly choke and control the line coils coming from the spinning reel so the line is smoothly fed into low profile running guides. They do this in slightly different ways. The microwave system uses a double ringed butt guide coupled with a single transition guide to fed the line to the low profile running guides. The KR concept uses three high frame small ringed reduction guides, specifically grouped according to size, to fed the line to the running guides. In my side by side tests, the KR concept casts a little better, but not by much. Many people like the microwave system because the manufacturer gives you a specific guide layout, so it’s easy to set up. Sort of a one size fits all. I like the KR concept because of the versatility it affords in setting up different blanks with different line and different reels. Since both work well it’s just a matter of personal choice.
[anglersresource.net]
[anglersresource.net]
Norm

Posted by: Aaron Koo (---.ipv6.telus.net)
Date: November 26, 2022 01:52AM

Norm,

Thank you for your help again!

That's a relief about being able to take off the Fuji hood, there none available now without a hood on Mudhole.

For the HS 760-2(HM) Twitching rod I was looking at KR Concept page and I am trying to figure which set to use A, B, C or D to use with a Shimano Vanford 3000xg?

Conventional Rods 30-50lb Braid
(Mono or fluoro to 14lb)
KR Group 3 Guide

A: 3 guide: KL25H, KL12H, KL7M

KR Group 4 Guide

B: 3 guide: KL25H, KL12H, KL6L

KR Group 4 Guide

C: 4 guide: KL25H, KL12H, KL7M, KL6L

KR Group 4 Guide

D: 4 guide: KL25H, KL12H, KL8M, KL7L
(Use 4 guide trains for light action rods that bend deep into the bottom section and/or rods over 9 feet.)

Date: November 26, 2022 11:48AM

Any KL25H based reduction train is way, way over kill for a 3000 reel. What size braid are you planning on using? 30-50 lb braid is also way overkill for the rod, reel, and type of fishing you are planning on doing. For your rod and reel combination using 10 to 20 lb braid, or mono up to 12lb. I would use a KL20H, KL10H, and KL5.5M for the reduction train guides, and size 5.5, 5, or 4.5 KB/KT running guides with a matching LG tip top. The size of the running guides would be your choice. I would use 9 to 10 guides total (not counting the tip-top). The butt guide would be about 20” in front of the reel spool and the choke guide (first running guide) about 24” in front of the butt guide. The running guide closest to the tip top will be about 9 to 10 cm (3.5” to 4”) away from it. So basically, progressively fill in the other two reduction guides between the butt and choke guide, and progressively place the remaining running guides between the choke and tip top. You can certainly move the choke and/or butt guide in or out a little to get the progressive spacing you like. Static test to fine tune the layout and then test cast. If you need specific help with the layout just contact me and I’ll be happy to help.
Norm

Date: November 26, 2022 01:11PM

I suggest something real close to Norm, I think I would use a 6L and 6 mm runners because I have no idea what size slipknot you tie for slip bobber use on your long rod, also there is no way I would fish 14 lb. flouro on your reel. As is you may have to be fast on your feet if you pick up a fish in the tailout and get pooled into the next lower pool. Heavy braid to flouro knots will also be a concern if you use them. You tie into a good sized chum (dog) salmon and you are going to have a handful on that reel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2022 01:21PM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: November 26, 2022 01:57PM

Spencer is absolutely correct. If using a slip knot or fishing in freezing weather, then larger running guides may be more appropriate. In this case go with a KL20H, KL10H, and KL6L for the reduction train and use size 6 runners, as Spencer suggests.
Norm

Date: November 27, 2022 07:58PM

I was thinking of using 30# braid with 15# Fluorocarbon leader for twitching since that is what I had read on some forums and saw on youtube. That is why I listed those larger guides, but thanks to you your suggestions I will buy smaller guides. I have never tried twitching so this will be me first rod build and first time twitchingI was thinking of using 30# braid with 15# Fluorocarbon leader for twitching since that is what I had read on some forums and saw on youtube. That is why I listed those larger guides, but thanks to your suggestions I will buy smaller guides. I have never tried twitching so this will be me first rod build and first time twitching. I appreciate all of your help and guidance!. I apprciate all of your help and guidance!

Posted by: Denham Bruce (---)
Date: November 27, 2022 10:45PM

Might want to consider a blank with a larger tip diameter than those you mentioned. I've found that I'm not a fan of fishing a rod with too light a tip while I'm twitching. The tip needs to be stout enough to "pop" a 1/2oz jig or heavier on a long cast and a lighter rod just won't move the jig enough.

Date: November 29, 2022 10:17PM

I ended up ordering 2 HS 760-2(HM) for the build along with NFC soft grips for the IPS reel seat. I was thinking about using a Shimano Vanford 3000xg or 4000xg spinning reel, what size would be appropriate for this build?

Posted by: Ross Montgomery (---.ipv6.telus.net)
Date: December 12, 2022 12:14AM

I’ve found that nfc doesn’t really make a 2 piece rod that is great for twitching. But they do have lots of options in their bass rods. I like the X-ray neo myself, good action, a good stiff tip and supposed to be indestructible which is never a bad thing. I do have the hs blanks you are thinking of , they make great spinner rods but not so great for working jigs.

Posted by: Shaemus wickham (209.52.88.---)
Date: September 07, 2023 11:32PM

Hey how did you end up liking the blanks you chose? Would you still recommend them? I’m also building my first twitching rod and I’m having a hard time deciding between the HS 760-2(HM) or the HS 760-2(IM). Are there any other blanks you found to be good?

Date: September 08, 2023 12:48AM

Twitching has gone from 3/8 oz. jigs to now 3/4 oz. and I wouldn't hold my breath with it stopping there for Chinook salmon. We started out when I first saw this being done in AK, catching silvers on curly tail grubs, during ebb tide and low slack we would bottom fish the same gear, then when the tide was high enough for the fish to travel upstream we would fish the mouth to the first falls or other obstruction that would concentrate them. The number one rod was a rod loved by the Alaskans, a 7 1/2 ft. Daiwa North Coast. Alaskans caught everything on that rod except Halibut. The majority of their waters are numerous, but fairly small, so the long rods are not the advantage they are in other areas, and they do pack nice. Frankly, I have seen people have equal success with rods from 7 ft. bass rods to 9 ft. 2 inches like the Lamiglas XMG 50 110 2M. Myself with the heavier jigs and looking forward I would look at the much loved, decades old design, the HS828-1 if you have the room to transport and store it. The spinning reel was the reel used on the Daiwa rods and for the uninitiated an easier reel to use when pitching behind downed trees to coax a silver out, but if you have used a baitcaster there is no reason to build or buy something new especially since this blank also makes a decent steelhead, coho, and springer plug rod and chinook hover rod. Unless you are tied down to a NFC blank, I think the Stryker SM795 is a nice choice also and not expensive, it is on sale now to the 11th.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster