I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji tvsts reelseat sleave
Posted by: Jim Berry (---)
Date: November 21, 2022 08:27PM

I have a question on the carbon insert for the tvsts reel seat can the carbon insert be cut down the middle so it can be put further down the big end of the blank and have the seem from the cut be hidden by the reel seat it has to be another inch or so further down?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji tvsts reelseat sleave
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 21, 2022 09:28PM

If you split the CF sleeve lengthwise so it goes further down the blank, you will increased the OD of the sleeve and the TVS reel seat won’t fit over it. The best solution is to use a size 17 TVS seat and the appropriate CF tube. Save the smaller reel seat and insert for another build. Another option is to use the seat up locking rather than down locking. To do this cut the CF sleeve in half (cross wise not lengthwise) and glue the half length cf tube into the window end of the seat, the threaded barrel will not have any insert and should slide that extra inch or so further down the blank to where you want it.
Norm

Posted by: VooDoo Rods (---.stat.lusfiber.net)
Date: November 22, 2022 08:03AM

If you dont have to go much further down, the inserts can be reamed a bit to get an extra inch or two closer to the butt if needed

Posted by: Jim Berry (---)
Date: November 22, 2022 10:59PM

Thank you for other options i have the16 size and sleave in my left over box and was just trying to see option before ordering more parts

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 23, 2022 10:28AM

When I have a windowed reel seat that requires an insert, I cut the insert in half. Half an insert is all you need to fill the window half of the seat. I use a polyurethane foam arbor for the threaded barrel end of the seat. Doing it this way allows you to use one insert for two reel seats. In most cases the insert cost as much or more than the reel seat itself. When I use a TVS seat I use a size 17. The size 17 CF insert can be arbored with a 15 mm polyurethane foam arbor and the barrel end of the seat with a size 17 foam arbor. This allows the seat to be reamed to fit the blank.
For your information, a size 16 CF insert has an ID of 13 mm, a size 17 insert has an ID of about 16 mm. The blank you are using has an OD greater than 13 mm at the point where you want the seat.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster