I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Drilling cork blocks/coring blocks
Posted by: Mike Hubbert (---)
Date: November 21, 2022 03:19PM

Just received a new order of composite cork blocks. 1 1/2” x 1 1/2” x 12”. I have a lathe which I put on a 8” or 14” drill bit. But not all cork blocks are straight. So I was going to make a 3 sided square jig, to hold it straight while drilling. Then after drilling 1/4” hole then use the Flexcoat reverse drill bit, then epoxy arbors inside the cork composite to reduce the weight. I’m going with 18 to 22 arbors depending on grip size.

I’m sure someone has done this and has advice.

Thanks

Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drilling cork blocks/coring blocks
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: November 21, 2022 06:08PM

Mike,
I am admittedly a bit puzzled and hopefully you can explain.
First, if you clamp the (curved) cork blocks in your “3 sided square jig, to hold it straight while drilling”, and then center drill it to size, when you release the clamp, won’t the block return to the original curved state? Even if the foam arbor is inserted before removing the clamp, is the foam rigid enough to hold the cork perfectly straight? Assuming the cork blocks are ~ square and will require shaping into a round circumference, why would it matter if they are a little “bent” to begin with? In other words, why not just straight bore the curved blocks?
Second, to consider going through so much effort, you must have calculated how much weight you will save. Granted, the foam core might be lighter than cork, but how much? Did your calculations include the weight of the epoxy to bond the foam into the cork and a winding check, epoxy ramp or whatever to conceal the foam core opposite the seat?
I don’t mean to be pessimistic or play devil’s advocate. I am simply here to learn.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: November 21, 2022 06:28PM

I use block cork (composites) frequently in making custom fly rod grips, and the following suggestion gleaned from my experience.

1.) Do not bore the entire 12" unless that will be the length of your grip. Shorter material is easier to bore straight!
2.) Do not bore the 3/4" all the way through, bore the end to fit the blank diameter.
3.) U sue a 3/4" Forstner bit to bore for the 20mm foam reel seat cores I use.
4.) I do all this before turning the grip shape and diameter.
4.) Doing this reduces the weight of the grip substantially.

Posted by: Mike Hubbert (---)
Date: November 21, 2022 09:22PM

Let me clarify,

I have the 3 sided jig and a 4th side that pushes the block square. I totally agree I should bore as short a piece as possible. I did experiment with this, by cutting into 3 four inch pieces and marking these sides, drilling on a drill press, then glueing back together. The cuts were hard to see.

Just always searching for the best way.

Thanks,

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster