I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Durability of woven carbon fiber grip
Posted by: Alec Stansell (---)
Date: November 19, 2022 07:13AM

Greetings fellow rod makers; I am considering using a woven carbon fiber grip on a 9’ 8wt. fly rod I’m building; it’s a full-wells design, so it has a steep drop at each end of the grip. Has anyone had any experience with the durability of these grips and the potential of fraying at the edges? Thanks in advance for any feedback and tight lines, Alec

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2022 07:21AM by Alec Stansell.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Durability of woven carbon fiber grip
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 19, 2022 08:50AM

They are extremely durable and clean up easily. I have been using them on my fly, spinning, and casting rods for quite a few years, and they still look brand new. They are almost bullet proof.
Norm

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 19, 2022 09:00AM

I still have and use the first foam-core carbon-skinned grip ever made. It's been on a fly rod and has seen almost 19 years of use now. It still looks new.

Posted by: Al Jones (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: November 19, 2022 09:18AM

I slipped and fell wade fishing the other day and slammed my rod and reel down on a big rock to catch myself. The fly reel is pretty dinged up but you can't even find a mark on the carbon grip.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (94.140.11.---)
Date: November 19, 2022 11:00AM

Alec
You might want to think twice re a CFG. Especially if you are fishing in saltwater - they get very slippery in the salt. If you texurize it to eliminate that - it is very hard on the casting hand.
Herb

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr01.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 19, 2022 04:39PM

Herb, are you referring to the carbon fiber grips finished with a coat of hard coat of some sort, or the NFC type that are sort of matte finish, not glossy? I can't believe that the NFC type get that slippery.

Date: November 19, 2022 04:46PM

Smooth and slippery are not the same thing. The gloss finished grips are actually more "grippy" than the ones with a slightly textured matt finish.

Water will not make them slippery - in fact it does just the opposite. Fish slime will, just as it does with just about any type of grip. I typically wipe my hands off if I've handled a fish and have never had any issue with the grips in fresh or saltwater. In fact you'll find that to move the rod around in your hand-fingers, you really have to relax your grip as they don't slide in your hand as easily as cork.

The other thing you'll notice early on is that your hand will cramp because you'll be gripping too tightly. Once you relax a bit you'll notice that you get better response and distance for your casting input because these grips do not deflect like cork does. You may not think you're working harder with cork, but once you compare the two you'll see what I mean. Relax, use less effort and get better results.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: November 19, 2022 06:23PM

I have been building fly rods with them (both purchased and self made) since the first article in Rodmaker, 10 plus years. Never had one wear or be slippery. There are now 3 surfaces on them, glossy smooth, woven surface, and a newer smooth rubber feeling.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (94.140.11.---)
Date: November 19, 2022 07:26PM

I have installed 3 CFG's on 3 fly rods. Before I installed them I tested for "Grippyness" with tap water. They DID get more grippy. But VERY slipperywith saltwater. I took the shine off one of the=m and it got more slippery.
That was 7-8yrs ago.
Then, 2 yrs ago, I bought a custom (to my specs) CFG in Ritz shape with fighting butt - the carbon fiber was left unfilled and was very grippy. But was very uncomfortable on my hand to cast with.
Herb

Date: November 19, 2022 07:42PM

Shape has more to do with the ability to grip something than does the surface texture. Consult the the RodMaker series on grip ergonomics if you want to know why.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 19, 2022 08:45PM

Hello All.

Here is my quicky check, don't know about pt. 5 & 6 (My keyboard is not working right)

19/4 Ergonomics Part 1, Proper Grip/Handle/Seat Diameter. By Tom Kirkman. 24
19/5 Ergonomics Part 2, Proper Grip/Handle/Seat Shape By Tom Kirkman. 24
19/6 Ergonomics Part 3, Pommels and Tapers. By Tom Kirkman. 22
20/1 Ergonomics Part 4, Surface Texture. By Tom Kirkman. 14
23/6 Ergonomics Part 7, Why Shape Matters By Tom Kirkman. 18
19/6 Ergonomics Variation. 25
16/6 Ergonomics, Fishing Rod Levers. By Tom Kirkman. 18
10/3 Ergonomics, Fishing Rod. 10

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: November 20, 2022 04:46AM

Thank you all for your responses. The grip I have is unfinished; that is to say, there is no additional finish covering the woven carbon fiber. I’ve supplied a link to a picture below. I’m glad to hear that it is proven to be durable, as that is my main concern. Thanks again everybody and tight lines! Alec

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2022 04:57AM by Alec Stansell.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 20, 2022 10:25AM

Nothing really to add other than double down on what Tom said about them not being slippery when simply wet. I have one that I top coated with the lay up epoxy used to make it, then top coated with Permagloss. It is glass smooth and grippy as all get out, Now add fish slime or weed slime, and it's a different story.

Date: November 20, 2022 11:38AM

David Baylor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nothing really to add other than double down on
> what Tom said about them not being slippery when
> simply wet. I have one that I top coated with the
> lay up epoxy used to make it, then top coated with
> Permagloss. It is glass smooth and grippy as all
> get out, Now add fish slime or weed slime, and
> it's a different story.

Right. Fish slime will make any grip slippery - this isn't unique to carbon skinned grips. But most of us tend to wipe our hands off a bit after landing a fish, if we touch the fish at all. I'm not sure about these guys that are dripping in fish slime. They must be doing something different.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: November 20, 2022 12:22PM

On an 8wt rod, you may find that the untreated grip gets uncomfortable as the day goes on, as it has a hard fiber surface that begins to feel abrasive. By the way.....beautiful job on the reel seat and butt !!

Date: November 20, 2022 12:37PM

I give my CF grips a coat or two of Permagloss. Don’t know if it’s necessarily but it does give the grip a little more sheen and it looks good.
Norm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 20, 2022 12:40PM

Tom Kirkman has a video on Youtube showing how he finished those grips with Permagloss.

Date: November 20, 2022 01:16PM

It's on the RodMaker Magazine Youtube channel.

Date: November 20, 2022 03:23PM

Here’s the video.
[m.youtube.com]
Norm

Date: November 22, 2022 03:43PM

Guys - Once again THANK YOU! Great responses and a big help to me. I really like the appearance of the Permagloss top coat that Tom so ably demonstrates in his video - beautiful! Your help is most appreciated and Ive learned alot. Alec

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster