I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
BFS rod? tips and suggestions please
Posted by: Ed Rose (---)
Date: November 18, 2022 02:38PM

Hi all, After just completing my first spinning rod (NFC SB 722 blank, VSS seat, and KL-H alconite guides) I am interested in trying the BFS setup for next year using a lightweight casting reel to throw small crankbaits, buzzbaits, rapalas and in line spinners, primarily for river smallmouth.
Have any of you built a rod for this purpose? Any building/component tips and blank suggestions would be greatly appreciated. lure weight ranges from 1/16 to 3/8.
Thanks a lot.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: BFS rod? tips and suggestions please
Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: November 18, 2022 03:17PM

Hi Ed!

I built an NFC X-Ray DS721 as an ultra light casting rod and put the Curado BFS reel on it with #6 fluoro. The lure rating is 1/8 to 3/8, I believe. Might be a tad heavy if you want to throw primarily the 1/16 stuff. However, it throws 1/8 jigs very well. IP = 268; AA = 76

Reel seat is a Fuji PULS with carbon insert.
Guides: Fuji RV6 (SIC) butt, a couple KB 4's and the rest KT 4 runners. Fuji LG tiptop 4. Alconite.
Grips: NFC split carbon (No fore grip).

Very light. I like the length and bend profile when loaded.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr01.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 18, 2022 04:13PM

This has been discussed quite a bit lately on another forum, and there it was mentioned that there is a new 7 foot NFC blank designed for BFS. It was reported that its ERN is 5.7 and AA of 65.

That is not far off the CCS numbers of my 3 wt 7.5 foot Amtak Matrix fly blank built as a spin rod. I expect a Matrix 5 wt might be a good candidate as well as the NFC blank. I don't have a model number for it.

My spin-built Matrix does a nice job on very light cranks, like the Norman Crappie Cranks. It loads well for those cranks and isn't too sloppy. Its AA is also 65.

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: November 18, 2022 06:14PM

CB701 would be a candidate if it has enough power for you. 1/16-5/16. Tossing a 1/16 is the hard part, especially if it is not aerodynamic. If 1/16 is important, maybe a rating down to a 1/32? Maybe a NEPS78LMF or similar nfc
Will your spinning setup toss those?
I have several UL casting setups. The real light stuff is a pain. I had some yozuri pins minnows (1.8 grams) that I use with spinning setups along with light rooster tails. They are not any fun on my Diawa’s. Move up to 3/32 or gasp, an 1/8, 5/32 and things are much more enjoyable. In my 60’s and my technique is not what it was, so ymmv.
I have an aging rod with a LIGHT glass tip that then transition to enough powers as a nice river small mouth and trout rod. Not knowledgeable enough to know what all is out there in the UL ranges.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2022 06:20PM by Tim Scott.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 18, 2022 07:48PM

NFC P700 X Ray.

Posted by: Derick Jahnke (---)
Date: November 18, 2022 09:53PM

I've enjoyed my APFG710-1 from NFC. Only knock is the tip is almost too soft and the rod tends to lock up a bit, rather than bend with more resistance. I mainly fish with Do It Worm nose jigs (1/16th jigs with size 1 sickle hooks) and a small plastic. On a stock SLX BFS.

Date: November 19, 2022 12:00PM

Thanks folks, appreciate the replies. I guess what I really want to do with this rod is fish treble hook type lures(rooster tails, rapalas, small crank baits/rebel crawdads) using a casting reel to eliminate line twist as seen with a spinning reel. I have been using a swivel about 3 ft up for my spinning rods in the past and it works OK. Just exploring the idea of lightweight rod/reel with casting set up. I am impressed with the light weith and casting of my SB 722 NFC so looking at another of their blanks while the sale is on. Having no experience with BFS stuff maybe I'm better off dealing with the line twist of a spinning reel.

Posted by: Tim Scott (---.source.akaquill.net)
Date: November 19, 2022 12:13PM

The rebel wee crawdads don’t cast bad. for rooster tails just use the 1/8, I’m not sure what total weight of the 1/16 is. The bfs works good, just stay away from the uber lightweight stuff. I only referenced your SB 722 as if it will toss what you want, then you know the blank range.

Date: November 19, 2022 12:21PM

None of the Ultralight G Loomis or NFC blanks except maybe the trolling blanks I have been around have a lack of lockup, it is not as pronounced as a bass blank, but you sure know it's there compared to many Wally World rods. It's one of the things I always liked about them, I have caught many salmon as bycatch fishing with lures with hooks as small as a #8 with zero problems getting them to hand. If the lockup is the right power, you will not have a problem. I can't see how the P700 or APFG710-1 would be a problem, I have a APFG here and it's a winner in my book. My more powerful and faster Loomis SJR 700 IM6 and HSR 9000 C GL3 sure haven't been over many decades.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2022 12:36PM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: November 19, 2022 01:25PM

Regarding: " I can't see how the P700 or APFG710-1 would be a problem, "

I agree with Spencer that the P700 and APFG710-1 should work very well for this application, probably better than any fly blank.

Date: November 19, 2022 03:27PM

Thanks again folks. Spencer - what do you mean by "lockup" ? Also are you saying the Loomis rods have not been winners?

Right now looking at the P700, CB701, and APFG710.

Date: November 19, 2022 03:35PM

I'd go with the P700 thinking its recovery time will probably be faster than the glass, even though it's "fast glass."

Date: November 19, 2022 04:14PM

For power, with my rough measurements

P700 - 180
APFG1 - 195
CB701 - 278
APFG742 - 414

I am getting around 76 AA for everything, so need to check my batteries.

The tip is lightest on the baby APFG. Tip recovery is much better on P700. I haven’t finished the CB701 or APFG742 yet.

Date: November 19, 2022 04:23PM

Tim, thanks for the data! Should make the decision a lot easier and more accurate.

. "Tip recovery is much better on P700." This should result in a crisper feel and is directionally correct for sensitivity and casting distance.

Date: November 19, 2022 09:51PM

Ed,
Read the post again, if I didn't like G Loomis rods/blanks, why would I still be using them over all these decades and why would I have bought the APFG 710-1 myself? You should have no concern using light lures with small hooks and the P 700 or APFG710-1.

Date: November 19, 2022 09:53PM

Ed,
Read the post again, if I didn't like G Loomis rods/blanks, why would I still be using them over all these decades and why would I have bought the APFG 710-1 myself? You should have no concern using light lures with small hooks and the P 700 or APFG710-1.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 20, 2022 11:01AM

I think Leslie's mentioning he built a BFS rod on a drop shot blank is a great suggestion. Especially if you're going to be throwing baits on the lighter end of the weight range you mentioned. Throwing light weights on a casting rod is way different than throwing them on a spinning rod, You need a blank with a tip that load easily.

I'd definitely go with a drop shot blank.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 21, 2022 07:04AM

Most drop shot blanks have an ERN way above the recommended ERN of 5.7.

Date: November 21, 2022 11:09AM

I have a 7-6” Ajing rod. IP of 195 and AA of 82/3 . 2-6lb line rating and .6-10gr lure rating. Surprising backbone. Great smallmouth and trout rod.

Just an FYI regarding blank ratings. Should have referenced it earlier.

Date: November 21, 2022 01:02PM

The dropshot rods I have CC'd ERN at between 8 and 11+, Ultralights between 4.8 and 8. One of the original dropshots the G Loomis SJ 5400 has been one of the lightest powered with the fastest action. NFC has a blank that length and spec in the catalog.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster