I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Offset reel seat and grips
Posted by: El Bolinger (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 18, 2022 12:37AM

I was told by a representative at NFC to ask here about finding an offset reel seat and grips. He wasn't sure if any of the grips they have are offset, does anybody know any offset reel seat and offset grip?

I found the Fuji ECSM reel seat which is slightly offset, but it's not clear if the seat sits low with the trigger higher up closer to the blank - like I'm looking for - or if they mean the trigger is at an angle.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Offset reel seat and grips
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 18, 2022 04:58AM

Wiebe than Super Sticker made the offset seat. Edge Rods used a US built copy on their Black Widow rods last I had one in my hands.

Posted by: El Bolinger (50.233.0.---)
Date: November 18, 2022 10:00AM

So it seems the only place to actually get anything offset is to buy a rod from Edge? Because Wiebe and Super Sticker are dead and nobody else has anything like it.

Can you buy foam core or cork with no hole already in them so that I could try to just make something like it myself?

Maybe slice a flat side into a cork grip and glue another piece on top?

Date: November 19, 2022 01:51AM

Back in the day we would cut a brick arbor to the required angle and install it on the back of the reel seat, we would than pass a drill bit through the reel seat hole to give you the correct angle necessary. We would than install the tube grip onto that arbor after cutting it to the angle to match the reel seat, 12 degrees if I remember right, but I just laid the reel seat in the cut off saw and adjusted the blade to match the angle than swapped in a tube and cut it. The rear arbor is a standard centered arbor. Something very similar is how they install the Black Widow hand laid tube grips I bet.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2022 05:06PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 19, 2022 11:08AM

I have an offset GLoomis exposed blank reel seat I salvaged from a broken rod. The ID is about 13.5 mm. It’s not new but is functional. If you want you can have it, just contact me. I will never use it. The reason no one makes an offset reel seat any more for rod builders is that no one wants to fool with them. In my opinion, they are a pain to fit with a grip and don’t really offer any added benefits over a standard ECM seat, or any of the other more modern casting reel seats.
Norm

Date: November 19, 2022 11:28AM

If you have some round framed reels in your arsenal the offset reel seat and grip raise the thumb higher and decrease to cross section of the reel seat enough to make them more comfortable to palm all day, at least that is my experience. Abu C3, Calcutta 251, Quantum PT Cabos are the ones I use.

Date: November 19, 2022 12:13PM

That may true for those high profile casting reels. For the modern low profile casting reel it’s probably a wash.
Norm

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: November 19, 2022 03:09PM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you have some round framed reels in your
> arsenal the offset reel seat and grip raise the
> thumb higher and decrease to cross section of the
> reel seat enough to make them more comfortable to
> palm all day, at least that is my experience. Abu
> C3, Calcutta 251, Quantum PT Cabos are the ones I
> use.

never used any off set seats but this makes perfect sense. on a rod even the older low profile BC reels sat a good bit higher than what we're buying today

love those C3s too

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 19, 2022 04:35PM

EL is this what you're looking for?? { [www.schneidersrods.com] } Classic "Drop" Trigger Seat Handle Assembly, Quality Cork Grip
Very Comfortable And a "Must" With a Spin-Cast or Earlier Round Body Reels
Slight Downward Angle Of The Rear Grip For Extra Comfort
Easier On The Wrist With Any Reel
Long Enough For Two-Handed Casting
Or, Just Cut To The Length Desired

Posted by: El Bolinger (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 20, 2022 09:21AM

@JAY - how does that attach to a rod?

@NORMAN - I appreciate the offer my man, is there a pic online somewhere so I can see what it looks like?

You guys really think it makes no difference in comfort or anything?

Date: November 20, 2022 03:14PM

Here are a few pictures of the GLoomis offset casting reel seat I have.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
Norm

Date: November 20, 2022 05:11PM

I believe the offset toward the trigger was pretty close to 3/8-inch OC and you maxed out at around a 9/16-inch ream before the trigger was compromised.

Date: November 20, 2022 05:52PM

The ID of this reel seat is about 13.5 mm throughout its length. This was the size used on the broken blank from which it was salvaged.
Norm

Date: November 21, 2022 10:42AM

@NORMAN - Thanks, I'll be honest it looks like the "offset reel seat" is really just a reel seat with a bump towards the back to line up with an offset grip - the triggers on a number of seats sit lower or higher but that one doesn't look unlike others that sit higher, the only difference being that hunch back. The pics helped me compare to what's available on the market and I think I can just try to make an offset grip eventually and it should work. thanks!

Date: November 21, 2022 11:09AM

El,
There is no bump in the reel seat, the entire seat including the ramp the reel's foot sets on is lowered toward the blank, this helps me feather the reel easier (straighter thumb path) and not overextend my wrist while casting all day. Another ergonomics thing, no different in value than balance and guide type/number to others. I have one reel seat and cork grip kit for salmon/steelhead rod left for a special rod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2022 11:15AM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: November 21, 2022 11:16AM

As far as I know the offset Wiebe/supersticker G Loomis reel seat is the only offset reel seat I know of, and it’s no longer produced. It has a 15 degree off set, making it difficult to fit to a handle. If you are thinking of the old Fuji speed stick casting handles, similar to those shown at Schneider’s rods, they were either glued or ferruled onto the end of the blank. They are also not made any more. There are good reasons why these offset reel seat/handles are no longer available. The modern reel seats are lighter, very comfortable, and much easier to install. The Fuji ECM reel seat is still one of my favorites, and I’ve tried most of them over the years.
Norm

Date: November 21, 2022 11:18AM

@SPENCER - Looking at every single seat listed on Mudhole there appears to be a number of them that would allow the reel to sit as low as possible and the trigger to sit as high as possible. SO long as the trigger is sitting low and the grip is made to sit high it should have the same affect as a seat "designed" or marketed to be offset. I can't see how some of these other seats can be more offset than the trigger almost testing on the bottom of the blank and the seat resting the reel almost on top of the blank.

I think particularly split seats, trigger is super high and seat top as functionally low as possible - just add an offset grip and that should do the trick.

Date: November 21, 2022 01:22PM

El,
I guess my time in engineering makes me see things a bit differently, if something starts being designed on center, and something else is designed 3/8 inch off center there is no way for the on center design to make up the difference, nor can it make up for the way the Wiebe tips the reel down towards your thumb at the same time, at best it can make up one half, or 3/16 inch and on center. Are we seeing things the same, or am I off center myself? The Wiebe designs, and there are many different ones, came out late 70's early 80's and were used by many companies over the years. They were never the cheapest because they were US made and involved many custom pieces including custom cork and stabilized wood.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2022 01:33PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Tim Scott (---.source.akaquill.net)
Date: November 21, 2022 02:07PM

There was a Japanese company, maybe Smith? I think they still make rods with them for the round reels.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster