I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrapping Jigs/Rod Lathes
Posted by: Chris (---.pv1.ca.home.com)
Date: December 03, 2001 10:42PM

I'm interested in building my own rods, but I must admitt I'm confused between wrapping jigs and rods lathes. I don't know which its best, with so many out there is hard to pick one. I need some advice on how to go about choosing the right one? I'm new to the craft but I can see my self doing this for a very long time, with this in mind which model would be best for me?
Thanks guys.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrapping Jigs/Rod Lathes
Posted by: Bill Doherty (---.rdu.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 04, 2001 07:50AM

Chris,

There are Rod Lathes, Power Wrappers, and Wrapping Jigs. I think your question is whats the difference between Rod Lathes and Power Wrappers. I consider wrapping jigs to be a manual (no motor) set of stands that cradle the rod blank and hold it in place so you can wind on the wraps by hand. Jigs will have some sort of thread holder with a tension device. Jigs are slow but work just fine. I know bamboo builders that only wrap silk with wrapping jigs. Power wrappers preform the same function as a wrapping jig but turn the rod for you with a motor. The stands that cradle the blank will usually but not always have wheels to hold the blank in place (better ones have ball bearings). Some power wrappers are made for only wrapping thread onto rods, some can be used to shape grips. Better power wrappers have a foot pedal to control the speed. Most power wrappers can also be used for applying epoxy to the wraps and to slowly turn the rod to dry the epoxy. Wrapping jigs are usually but not always separate components you "line-up" and clamp to your work surface. All the power wrappers I know of have a wooden or metal track the stands and tread carridge slide on that the motor is attacted to. Rod lathes will do all of the above plus more. Rod lathes are built more heavy duty and the motors are more powerfull for turning grips. You can get more accessories to use on rod lathes, weaving jigs, tool rests, variety of chuks, laser alinement and more.

I did my best to explain a very diverse subject. All of the above varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. And, of course, there is a wide price range. You can make your own wrapping jig, or buy a good one for under a hundred bucks. You can also spend over a thousand bucks for a top of the line rod lathe and all of the bells and whistles. If I left anything out maybe somebody else out there can add something.

Bill Doherty

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: December 04, 2001 08:55AM

Something to consider as well, is that you can usually buy a powered rod lathe in different configurations and add more pieces as you go. Thus, you could buy one without the motor and headstock and use it as a hand wrapper until you are ready or desire the power aspect of the lathe. This can cost you a bit more at the outset, but ultimately save you money as the unit will still be with you when you choose to upgrade instead of being something that is replaced altogether.

Posted by: Elrod (150.199.191.---)
Date: December 04, 2001 09:05AM

My recommendation would be to check out Clemens' Rod Lathe. You will NOT be disappointed. If you are new to the craft and not CERTAIN you are in for the long haul, I would be hesistant to spend the approx $700 for the Clemens unit. What I would suggest is buy there non-powered unit that can be converted to the powered later on. You end up with the same powered unit, plus one rod stand. Check out their link to the left. They do a good job of explaining components and such in their catalog (downloadable or order printed version). I waited and bought the powered unit, but I do this as a business. Once you wrap on a professional wrapper, you will not go back. I think one of the most important features other than a good tensioning device is having rod stands with a top wheel. I wrapped on "V-blocks" for 6 years and now don't know how I got by. With the Clemens rod stands, I can wrap faster and to a better quality.
FWIW, Elrod

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 04, 2001 06:30PM

I agree with Elrod. I have been wrapping my rods as a hobby with a wrapper that has the v type rod holders. My next wrapper will be one with wheels that hold down the rod blank that I will also use to turn cork handles. After 22 years of wrapping I think I deserve one of those fancy ones with the bells and whistles. As it is now, I have made a jig to use for the turning. It consists of rod stands with roller bearings powered by a drill. It is rather crude but works. I insert the rod blank which I cover with masking tape through the holes in the bearings and chuck the butt end into a drill bit also covered with masking tape. Anyway, get you a good machine.

Posted by: John Burford (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 05, 2001 10:28AM

just my 2 cents worth ,i converted a bench top drill press (multi speed) with a table extension for all of my cork and sanding work
i have this in a open part of my gerarge , i bought do to limited funding the flex coat hand rod wraper and added the 18 rpm motor
i made me a foot switch by useing a double gang box with a light switch on one side and a regular plug on the other works great .
i have this in an enclosed room in my gerarge so im not clouded by cork dust and other stuff i also built a 10 foot bench useing a normal 1x12 and routered a slot to use as a guide so the wraper and motor stay in line i have a nice setup that works very well for about 250.00 give are take a little .. ant ?'s on my setup feel free to email me ill provide you with more info good luck ....john t burford

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster