I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Carbon fiber fighting butt
Posted by: David Luttig (---)
Date: November 17, 2022 02:24PM

Doing a split grip carbon fiber handle. The rod butt is wider than the visual foam insert on the fighting butt. Is it safe to ream the butt past the black cf portion that is wrapped over the foam inset? Thanks. Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Carbon fiber fighting butt
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: November 17, 2022 02:50PM

If you can do it, I believe you will have very little strength left in the fighting butt.

Date: November 17, 2022 02:53PM

So want do you do when the butt of the rod is so big? I looked at Mudhole and they don’t have anything with a bigger diameter

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 17, 2022 03:07PM

If you are talking about the blank OD being bigger than the Tenon, the foam part sticking out past the carbon skin that the butt cap goes on, you should be fine, though to far you would lose any shape or structure to the front that is also tapered to look nice many time the front and back are very similar in size.

Date: November 17, 2022 03:13PM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you are talking about the blank OD being bigger
> than the Tenon, the foam part sticking out past
> the carbon skin that the butt cap goes on, you
> should be fine, though to far you would lose any
> shape or structure to the front that is also
> tapered to look nice many time the front and back
> are very similar in size.

That is what I am talking about. I wasn’t sure if the cf would start coming apart or if it could even be reamed to size.
Thanks
Dave

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 17, 2022 03:57PM

What’s the blanks butt diameter, and which carbon fiber fighting butt are you using? I have no problems reaming CF fighting butt to fit a butt diameter up to 15mm ( 0.6”).
Norm

Date: November 17, 2022 04:02PM

Rod diameter is .64. Im using mudhole cfx fb235

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 17, 2022 04:46PM

The CFX fighting butt has a front diameter of about 21 mm and a rear diameter of 27mm. The tenon is about 20 mm. So you should not have a problem reaming the fighting but to fit the blank. It will ream easily, and you will not have any problems with fraying.

Date: November 17, 2022 04:47PM

Thank you! I appreciate the help.

Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster