I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

North Fork Composites Chatterbait/Lipless blank
Posted by: Patrick Noll (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: November 14, 2022 04:55PM

I need help on what a great not just good chatterbait blank would be in the 7’ to 7’3” range. I prefer some give but need more sensitivity. I throw mostly a 1/2 oz chatterbait. Right now I’m using a cb907 from mhx and like it but looking for a shorter more sensitive blank. I’ve considered the hybrid 705, hybrid 7106 or 765 NEO (cutdown to 7’3”) and the mb724 delta. Open to all other blanks too. Thoughts and considerations appreciated. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: North Fork Composites Chatterbait/Lipless blank
Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: November 15, 2022 07:29AM

I throw mine on the X-ray NEO MB765. I have one at full length and one cut down to 7'2". Amazing blank for this application. I love the way I can rip through grass but keep fish pinned once hooked.

So my vote goes to a NEO cut how you prefer.

Posted by: Patrick Noll (216.221.27.---)
Date: November 15, 2022 10:16AM

Aaron - Thank you, I was very interested in the NEO, it's ratings/weight just makes it sound like a beast (which isn't bad if it's balanced). The NEO pretty sensitive?

Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: November 15, 2022 12:22PM

I really like the xray MB736 for throwing 3/8 and 1/2 oz chatterbaits. Obviously very sensitive, but more on the moderate side of fast (don't remember AA). Good for ripping through weeds.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: November 15, 2022 12:24PM

A couple of versatile rods come to mind for me:

NFC SJ 736 X Ray (or MB736 X Ray which is a little different beast, but right in there, too: IP = 668; AA = 71):
* The "Heavy" designation is deceiving, IMO, because the front 1/3 fishes more like a Medium, the next 1/3 a Med. Heavy, and the last 1/3 is where
the Heavy lives. This is why I think the rod is so versatile. No trouble "pinning" fish once hooked because there is very good flex in the front half of the rod.
* X Ray materials are some of the most "sensitive" NFC makes.
* Line rating: #10-17 (chatterbait range)
* Lure Rating: 1/4 - 1 oz. (chatterbait range)
* IP = 793; AA = 75 (In my own CCS tests, I could never get an IP as high as 790; mine was more in the 700-725 range.)
* Versatility = Jigs, tubes, and T-rig worms/creatures. I also like it for the up-sized squarebills and cranks. Lipless, too. This rod has such an excellent lure type and weight range, IMO.

NFC MB 705 Delta. (The 706 is also a very good one! with IP =703; AA = 70)
* To me, the Delta line of rods are an excellent value for the performance per dollar factor.
* A 7-footer that could be extended 3 to 6 inches to add a dash more power and lever length for casting if you wanted. This rod is listed as a Med. Heavy, but to me it is more of a Med. + I would extend this blank 3-inches for
chatterbaiting.
* Beautiful flex in front 1/2 of blank. Listed as a Fast action, for me it fishes more like a Mod. Fast.
* Line: #10-17
* Lure: 1/4 to 3/4 oz.
* IP = 518; AA = 71
* Versatility = Crankbaits as well as 1/4 to 3/8 jigs and tubes.

NFC X-Ray NEO MB765
* IP = 865; AA = 77
* I don't have this rod, but thought you might like to see the CCS data I have for it from others on the board.

Date: November 15, 2022 03:37PM

Leslie - That is great information, thank you! The Xray Sj736 seems like the real deal for versatile blanks. I have that, the sb722 and the NEO on my short list from the Xray line for certain other builds. Again, appreciate the details!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 15, 2022 03:41PM

I have found any of my spinnerbait rods work a chatterbait very well. Am I missing the mark?

Date: November 15, 2022 03:51PM

I personally don't, I like a fast M to MH spinnerbait rod and more mod/fast MH to H on chatterbait. I missed a lot of fish on my choice for spinnerbaits (MHX MB843 or MHX MB873) and had much better hookup success with my choice for chatterbait (MHX CB907). That's the preference for me, for others probably they can be the same rod.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: November 15, 2022 04:15PM

Patrick,

The NEO is plenty sensitive. I hate to give up too much juice but, I have been having a lot of success with a split tail spinnerbait trailer specifically for how the NEO moves it. The NEO tip allows it to have a unique start up action that other rods like the SJ736 doesn't have.

I love the SJ736 for so many things. For spinnerbait and chatterbait I have chosen the NEO over it because it bends much deeper into the blank when hooked up and is really forgiving on the angling side.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2022 04:17PM by Aaron Petersen.

Date: November 15, 2022 04:40PM

Thanks Aaron, I'll just get both! why not, right?

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: November 15, 2022 05:48PM

Patrick Noll Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I personally don't, I like a fast M to MH
> spinnerbait rod and more mod/fast MH to H on
> chatterbait. I missed a lot of fish on my choice
> for spinnerbaits (MHX MB843 or MHX MB873) and had
> much better hookup success with my choice for
> chatterbait (MHX CB907). That's the preference for
> me, for others probably they can be the same rod.

x2 on a med to medhvy fast action for spinner baits and modfast for chatterbaits. although i do throw some finesse spinnerbaits on a med modfast

Posted by: Ross Montgomery (---.ipv6.telus.net)
Date: November 15, 2022 10:46PM

I picked up one of the APFG 745. I haven’t built it yet but it feels like it’s going to be a pretty good action for chatterbaits. Definitely not a old fashioned glass blank.

Posted by: Patrick Noll (---)
Date: November 16, 2022 10:30AM

Ross - I've wanted to try the S2 glass rods, I think this is what Alpha Anglers uses in their rebound series of cranking rods. Might be great for open water chatterbaits but might flex a bit too much ripping through weeds. I like the blank you choose, hopefully it's a good one!

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: November 16, 2022 11:17AM

Ross is onto the APFG series! Amazing glass blanks for sure! (I don't mean to wander off topic here too far). Will surprise you with how light they are for glass. This series could also fit my versatility line up.

I have the 745 and liked it so much I built another one. IP =575; AA =80 (yes, this blank has a very fast tip!): I've fished jigs (1/4 to 3/8), cranks (DT6 range), and frogs with this blank and it has done an excellent job.

I was curious about the 744 and built one, too: IP = 448; AA = 80 (another very fast tip!): A very nice crankbait rod for the DT4 and Minus One range of lures. It feels a bit overpowered by the DT6 range of lures.

I love how I can see and feel the difference between these two rods which are one step in power separated. I haven't always been able to see or feel the difference as distinctly between other models at times.

Maybe not your ideal choice for chatterbaits, but I got so excited when I read Ross's post I wanted to chime in!

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: November 17, 2022 08:35AM

I have the APG 1, 2, and 4. Built the 1 for the misses and she likes it, but I think the 2 will be overall better and companion to Rainshadow 842. Sorry for joining the sidetrack

Date: November 17, 2022 10:02AM

No, all the information the better, really appreciate everyone's input. Exciting to find/join/discuss on this site.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 17, 2022 10:43AM

Patrick,
Anglers were ripping weeds long before carbon rods, power and blank speed have nothing to do with the material used.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster