I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rodgeeks issues
Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---)
Date: November 13, 2022 04:09PM

Anyone else having issues with Rodgeeks? I placed an order almost three weeks ago and Nothing. My account says unfulfilled but they were paid. I sent them an email a week ago asking for an update and never got a reply. This is not the Rodgeeks that i have worked with for many years.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rodgeeks issues
Posted by: Evan Cobb (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2022 09:34AM

Long time lurker, first time poster. Im very new to rod building as I’ve only been building for 2 years now (only 10 builds under me, majority have been with RodGeeks blanks).

I had the exact same issue with RodGeeks back in September. I ordered 2 blanks to build for my cousins. It took approximately 5 weeks for delivery after they accepted payment. I emailed them around week 3 asking for an update because they typically are very quick. About a week later, I received a shipping email. They never provided any response or email about the delay or acknowledging my question.

I also think they sent the wrong blank. Ordered a C266MHF and a C270MHF. The 7’ MH rod is noticeable heavier, has much more power, and has a faster action than the 6’6”. Even though the website lists the two rods have identical weights.. The finished build of the 7’ MH is tip heavy and feels completely unbalanced. The 6’6” feels great. Everything about the rod makes me think they sent a heavy power instead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2022 09:36AM by Evan Cobb.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 14, 2022 11:34AM

This is nothing new this time of year as you may have noticed with your own increased business. We have Xmas, Sportsman's Shows soon to start up, new models, next year's models and they make more money selling rods than they do blanks from us. Covid, and slower shipping all happening also. When trains maxed out, trucks maxed out, a lot of stuff I'm told was routed to go up the Mississippi drainage which promptly went dry. My experience is I had to have my anticipated supplies in hand before Halloween in years gone by and I only lived 40 miles from Angler's Workshop, Lamiglas, G Loomis, etc.

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: November 19, 2022 06:52PM

Tom Wewerka Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone else having issues with Rodgeeks? I placed
> an order almost three weeks ago and Nothing. My
> account says unfulfilled but they were paid. I
> sent them an email a week ago asking for an update
> and never got a reply. This is not the Rodgeeks
> that i have worked with for many years.

Just saw they have a new website. they now calling the SCV the C5 and added a C3. couldnt find where they list the specs for their blanks tho. everything is in a dropdown menu format and only give length, action,power. no line lure ratings. less color option for paint as well.

BTW they have your picture on there so hopefully they got back to ya lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2022 06:55PM by Matt Ruggie.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---.atlagax1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: November 19, 2022 06:59PM

I have one unfulfilled ordered almost 4 weeks ago.

Did you noticed they dropped almost all the color options as well…. :(

Date: November 19, 2022 07:17PM

yeah color options dropped but added a good number of new blank options in the Bass3/C3 line. ill take that trade off. 73MLXF, 73MXF, and 710MLXF look good. I guess ill be revisiting that hair jig rod build i was thinking about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2022 08:28PM by Matt Ruggie.

Posted by: Brandon fennimore (---)
Date: November 19, 2022 07:25PM

Any body have good pictures of rod geeks metallic blue finish???

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 19, 2022 08:36PM

Hello Brandon.

Here is how to find a pic:

Info@RodGeeks.com Find "Search" type in "colors" hit enter and you will find several pics of Metallic blue finish.

Tight Wraps & Lighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: November 21, 2022 11:25AM

Looks like they have cut the color options down to basically 4 colors, probably the previously most popular choices, and the two natural colors. I would suspect so much color customization in the past was not practical or cost effective. The association with St. Croix also seems to be downplayed on the site compared to previous.

Of course they may still be building out the site. I am not sure when it went live, but I think it was not that long ago that when I was on the old site.

I think the old site also offered some finished rods.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---)
Date: November 21, 2022 02:27PM

Rodgeeks rod arrived and all is well. I have to say I am excited that Rodgeeks is going to be offering SC lll rod blanks,. I have asked for them for years and am happy they are going to bring them to the market for us.

Brandon. If you want to see the dark metallic blue rod I have several photos on my website. Go to the gallery and under custom rods scroll down about halfway. There is a metalic dark blue rod I made for a Baltimore county police officer. You should get a pretty good idea of the color there....Tom

Tomscustomrods.com

Posted by: Brandon Smith (---)
Date: November 21, 2022 09:41PM

I have usually had good luck 2-3 weeks. Put my last order was like 4 weeks. I'm very disappointed in Rodgeeks/St.Croix dropping all the colors and only keeping the colors that are St.Croix colors, definitely not their most popular. I think it will hurt them, they were about the only company offering good quality blanks with color and even 2 tone. I have a small side business building rod and it @#$%& going from offering customers all these unique color options or pretty much nothing. Also the 4 colors they have will just look like a St.Croix rod you can get in stores.

Posted by: El Bolinger (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 22, 2022 12:27AM

@BRANDON - yeah they screwed up. I was considering their blanks largely on the fact u could get a burtn orange or fun green. Other companies have competitive prices and quality that edges out RodGeeks. I was literally on their site and emailed a couple questions like a day or 2 before the post about the site changing.

They still even say in the site they don't offer SC3 because they offer SC4at such a great price and it wouldn't make sense financially for anyone... but now they have SC3 - I wonder if their prices are changing to accommodate all this, bump it all up a little bit.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 22, 2022 08:32AM

Bob Penicka who started Rodgeeks, has opened a blank manufacturing facility in Dallas, Texas - it is called Rod Forge. He will be using his same gameplan for this venture - painted blanks, top notch customer service, and a 24-48 hour turn around on all orders. They are expecting to sell blanks at the ICRBE in NC in February.

Date: November 22, 2022 09:55AM

Billy Vivona Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bob Penicka who started Rodgeeks, has opened a
> blank manufacturing facility in Dallas, Texas - it
> is called Rod Forge. He will be using his same
> gameplan for this venture - painted blanks, top
> notch customer service, and a 24-48 hour turn
> around on all orders. They are expecting to sell
> blanks at the ICRBE in NC in February.

good to know thx. has St croix taken back all control of rodgeeks?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2022 09:56AM by Matt Ruggie.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 22, 2022 10:15AM

Rod Forge will be the custom blank arm of Composite Forge, which is going to concentrate on the OEM rod business. I put Frank-Paul King and Bob Penicka together a few years ago. Their intent is bringing this type OEM production back to the USA but at prices similar to what most pay for the overseas product.

St. Croix owns RodGeeks 100% now and they are revamping their product line.

Posted by: El Bolinger (50.233.0.---)
Date: November 22, 2022 10:37AM

I tried looking at Composite forge a few weeks ago when I bumped into an article about rodgeeks and paul/bob etc. Just double checked and the website is still just one page with contact info and nothing about rods or blanks.

New to this - what exactly is the OEM rod business? They'll manufacture blanks for other companies to put their name on?

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 22, 2022 10:57AM

One part of their business will be building finished rods, and possibly blanks for other companies to put their name on. The other part will be having a full line of blanks for custom rod builders to build on.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: November 23, 2022 12:12AM

St. Croix announced that it will be dramatically upping its fly rod game in terms of range and quality of offerings. Maybe that will mean some new blanks in the future at Rod Geeks.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: November 23, 2022 12:27AM

I would LOVE to see Rod Geeks offer SCIV surf rod blanks since they have only offered SCII in the past. I much much prefer the former to the latter.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: November 23, 2022 01:37AM

I have always had very successful and pleasant experiences ordering from Rod Geeks. The blanks have arrived without flaw. Their customer service goes through Park Falls, Wisconsin, and the person who gets routed every thing pertaining to Rod Geeks is outstanding. I haven’t ordered a blank with paint or one made outside of Park Falls. It does take a while for delivery, so I order early. The only vendor that has managed speedy delivery on blanks that I’ve ordered is VooDoo Rods (which is far from where I live). Utmost Enterprises is also awesome. Anyway, I very much appreciate being able to get St. Croix blanks through Rod Geeks.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster