I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Eliminating the Bulge Created by a Pulled-Through Tag
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: November 10, 2022 09:01PM

As the title implies, I am seeking to learn of a method / technique to eliminate, or at least reduce, the bulge in a thread wrap caused by the underlying tag end when starting or ending a wrap, or even when adding or dropping threads within a wrap. It is especially noticeable when multiple inlays are within a short distance of each other. While obviously a bit unsightly, I have just considered it to be “the nature of the beast” or a “necessary evil” = “like it or lump it”. Do any of you magic-makers have a solution / cure?
My attempts have proven fruitless = difficult to perform, possibly junking an otherwise perfect wrap = iffy at best.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Eliminating the Bulge Created by a Pulled-Through Tag
Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: November 10, 2022 09:40PM

Other than just flattening it out with a burnishing tool...I got nothing.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 10, 2022 09:59PM

[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 10, 2022 10:02PM

Chris,
Thanks for the reply. Been there / done that; it helps but only marginally. I realize and admit that I may be splitting hairs here, but then, that seems to be the norm for us rod builders all too often lol.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: November 10, 2022 10:31PM

Tom,
Thank you for replying as well. I have zero problems concealing the end of the tag because I insert my pull-through early, pull the tag until just secured under the main wrap, snip it off on the OUTSIDE of the main wrap, and then when the pull-through is pulled under the main wrap, the tag disappears underneath somewhere between the point of entry and exit; no second trimming of the tag required. I see absolutely no benefit to pulling the tag all the way through the main / base wrap only to HOPE it is cut close enough to not produce a nub sticking out.
My concern is with the bulge in the main wrap created by the underlying thread tag. It may very well be impossible to totally eliminate the bulge, but that is why I have asked = I am here to learn.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (185.203.218.---)
Date: November 11, 2022 12:17AM

I roll a flat blade of a spatular over it.
Herb

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 11, 2022 06:06AM

It can be somewhat reduced by "crushing" it with a burnishing tool, which is what I think Herb is doing. I also put them on the underside of the rod as much as possible.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: November 11, 2022 08:17AM

Mark Talmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Chris,
> Thanks for the reply. Been there / done that; it
> helps but only marginally. I realize and admit
> that I may be splitting hairs here, but then, that
> seems to be the norm for us rod builders all too
> often lol.

If you really must hide it...
You could pull the tag through right at the base of the tunnel (on the side of the guide foot).
The problem with that is that it's not very secure (at that moment) ...but you could temporarily secure it with a drop of UV resin and hit it with a UV torch.
Once you add finish it will be solid.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 11, 2022 08:55AM

As Michael said.
I also make sure that any of the pull throughs are on the side this is not visible when holding the rod. If one can't see it, it isn't there to cause a problem.

Best wishes

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 11, 2022 08:55AM

As Michael said.
I also make sure that any of the pull throughs are on the side this is not visible when holding the rod. If one can't see it, it isn't there to cause a problem.

Best wishes

Posted by: Ronald Atchley (96.125.236.---)
Date: November 11, 2022 10:38AM

Since you have the tag end just barely secured under the main warp , would it be possible to fray the tag tip after it's cut and then pull it through so the bulge might be a little flatter . This is honestly more a question than a suggestion .

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 11, 2022 11:02AM

Ronald, I think that would make the bulge disappear or just about disappear. The risk, I think , is that it might fuzz the thread leaving another potential problem. The thread that is pulled through might not be "clean."

I don't believe putting the tag under the guide foot is a good idea; it really risks coming loose based on my experience screwing up the pull through now and then. The wrap between the end and the guide foot will still have thread under it and may show.

The ultimate 100% solution is to have no thread under the wrap, but I don't know how to make that work. But it seems like I've read about a process before. ??

To me, it is a non-problem. It's only visible when the rod is in the hand, and not even then unless you turn the rod over .

Posted by: Ed Kramer (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 11, 2022 11:21AM

Mark,
I have thought of this myself and my solution is to do what Ronald Atchley suggests. I tie in a loop a few wraps before the end. I hold the tag end of the wrap tight and pull the loop tight against the wrap to hold the tag end in place. I then cut the tag end shorter than the amount of wraps, like you suggested to eliminate a bump. I then fray the tag end of the wrap before I pull it through. I found it works pretty well.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: November 11, 2022 12:15PM

Mark, you want to make two layers look like one. Your tucking method is the one I use, and like many of the others I try and have the tuck on the less visible area of the rod.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---.atlagax1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: November 11, 2022 12:57PM

Use black thread? :)

Date: November 11, 2022 03:26PM

Thank you for the additional replies.
Herb,
That helps and is basically what I have been doing. But still…
Michael,
I certainly line-up all my “lock-overs” in the most inconspicuous location around the rod; out-of-sight = out-of-mind. But still…
Chris,
While it would certainly not create a bulge in the main wrap, I agree with your mention of the tag not being very secure if pulled under at the side of the guide foot. I don’t even trust pulling a tag on top of a guide foot. And then there is not always a guide foot present when wrapping multiple inlays close together.
Roger,
As mentioned to Michael, out-of-sight may be the best feasible remedy. But still…
Ronald,
Your suggestion / question was what I initially thought would be the best resolve. I experimented with different frayed lengths and pulling the loop at different angles, but with minimal success. I determined that the pull-through loop “re-compressed” the frayed tag. This is why I included “difficult to perform” and “iffy” in my original post.
Michael-2,
You are certainly correct that no thread under = no bump or bulge. A few years ago, I saw a short video of a rod builder demonstrating to a dozen onlookers how to tie-off a wrap WITHOUT a pull-through loop!!! Everyone in attendance gasped with amazement. I watched that video upteen gillion times but couldn’t figure it out let alone duplicate it. I can’t find it now. Nonetheless, I would think that there STILL must have been a thread tucked under somewhere. If someone knows of that video, PLEASE provide a link!!!
Ed,
You are either a better man than me or not quite as picky lol.
Phil,
It may be the best defense. But still…
Michael W.,
Color makes little difference.
I sincerely hope that my replies are NOT taken as derogatory or unappreciated; CERTAINLY THE OPPOSITE! Everyone is thinking, which is a good thing! When there is only a bulge at the start and end of a wrap, they are much less noticeable than when there are 10 or 12 close together from adding and dropping threads of multiple inlays. Granted, a heavy coat of finish disguises them to some degree, but that is not an option for my UL builds with minimal thread finish.
There may not be a total solution. Some may consider visible starting and stopping points which are perfectly aligned and consistent to be an indication of quality thread work. But still…

Mark Talmo

Date: November 14, 2022 03:40PM

Greg,
Thanks! The “back serving knot” that you mentioned MAY just be the method used in the video I am referring to. [www.youtube.com] It also involves ”doubling the tag back over itself” and “possibly reversing the rotation direction (?)” that I mentioned my fossilized brain vaguely remembering; and all without a pull-through loop.
Phil,
While the back serving knot that Greg mentioned does include a “double layer” as you stated, I can’t imagine how to lock the tag without doing so, at least without glue or heat. It was a previous topic that I started “Eliminating the Bulge Created by a Pulled-Through Tag” which dealt with minimizing the bulge. An offshoot from that discussion prompted this topic of loopless tie-offs.
In the end when all is said and done, Greg’s offering of the “back serving knot” may be a viable alternative to the employment of a pull-through loop. Although it may have been intended for archery applications, it very well could also be applied to tying-off a thread wrap. The only thing I don’t like about it is that the tag end comes out 3 or 4 (or as many as desired) rotations in from the edge of the wrap, which needs to be trimmed-off. To eliminate any possible thread nubs when tying-off a wrap, I prefer to insert my pull-through loop quite early so that the pre-cut tag is buried under the main wrap. Those of you who prefer to pull their tag all the way though the main wrap before trimming it will feel right-at-home and be second-nature.
I am very curious to learn what the rest of you think of employing this LOOPLESS TIE-OFF method!!! Excuse me, but I need to go out to experiment and practice.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: November 14, 2022 04:52PM

This guy Q is a master:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr01.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 14, 2022 05:59PM

Can anyone imagine doing the serving knot of every wrap on every rod? I cannot.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster