I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lightweight Spinning Guides - All Stainless vs. Ceramics
Posted by: Marc Morrone (216.26.121.---)
Date: November 09, 2022 04:19PM

So my passion really is light, sensitive spinning rods. After playing with quite a few guides, I can't seem to find anything that touches the Stainless frame with Stainless insert ring style, outside of going with Recoils (which are not my favorite).

What's your go-to for light guides on a light rod? Talking freshwater 4# - 8# line generally.

Re: Lightweight Spinning Guides - All Stainless vs. Ceramics
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: November 09, 2022 07:27PM

Marc,
While admittedly a Fuji proponent, when seeking the lightest guide train, I like the PacBay Minima M reduction guides (SS or Ti frame w/SS ring). Set them up as per KR Concept. Although the Minima F runners may be a half-tic lighter than the Fuji KBs / KTs, I like the Fujis better. One way or the other, I always use a Fuji LG tip top on my ULs.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: November 09, 2022 09:36PM

Marc Morrone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What's your go-to for light guides on a light rod?
> Talking freshwater 4# - 8# line generally.

I've done a few rods on CRB SSR Light-Medium Duty guides.
Have to admit that they grow on ya.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---)
Date: November 09, 2022 10:22PM

Fuji K Ti frames and SIC rings. For casting rods: I like the KW with KB and KT. I have weighed the Minimas, the ones I weighed weighed, weigh more than than the SS Fujis, but I have not weighed all the Minimas. The Seaguide TiXBG, TiXOG-N and TiGOG-W with RS rings are pretty light also. For spinning: Fuji KLH with the KT & KB guides. Seaguide TiXOHG with the TiXOG-N & W. You can make a very light sensitive rod with these.

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: November 10, 2022 11:43AM

There are two great options from American Tackle, Vortex Air and Pentalite.

The Vortex Air have Stainless Steel inserts with ring sizes from 30 down to 4 (in the single-foot spinning version) and Atlas Stainless Steel frames. These guides are available in both Chrome and Matte Black.

Pentalite have an ultra-thin ceramic ring and are available in sizes from 50 down to 5.5. The frames are a lightweight flexible titamium material. Colors are natural Titamium and Black.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (216.26.121.---)
Date: November 10, 2022 02:37PM

I am liking the look of the American Tackle Vortex Air guides. I like that they are actually hard chromed, which does help with wear.

I fish mono a lot, and feel it fishes better on nice ceramics, but the weight reduction of the stainless is hard to beat. Thanks so far guys!

Posted by: Jeff Saxby (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 10, 2022 04:03PM

For reduction guides I like the Seaguide HLG much better than the Pac Bay versions. The swaging is much more consistent and the Adaman coating is much harder than chromed steel.

Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: November 10, 2022 07:43PM

Agree that the Seaguide adaman coated guides are very nice. Remember not to judge guide weight by appearance. Stainless rings are not necessarily lighter than ceramic rings. If you feel that guide weight is very important to your builds you owe it to yourself to weigh a bunch of guides.

Posted by: Norman Miller (65.140.165.---)
Date: November 10, 2022 09:40PM

The SeaGuide HLG reduction guides and MKG runners with the Adaman coating are lighter than the Minima M reduction guides and F running guides.
Norm

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: November 11, 2022 07:29AM

I have used the SSR guides from Mud Hole / CRB and the finish is really nice too. But I can't find any specs on the Gunsmoke color - if it adds wear resistance, if it has chrome under, or if it's just cosmetic? On the silver ones they just say Polished Stainless - which I think implies no plating or coating???

Any insight appreciated - thanks.

Posted by: Rick Hall (---.msl-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: November 11, 2022 11:18AM

Just my two cents.

Silicon nitride SI3N4 is the best ceramic for rings for several reasons. SI3N4 is made under extreme heat and pressure; only a handful of facilities produce this material, only two make it for the fishing industry, and SeaGuide is one. This is not the same as the Fuji silicon nitride rings for salt water, it is very different in how it is made.

First and perhaps most importantly is that SI3N4 has the best fracture resistance on the market for ceramics. Secondly, it has the best thermal conductivity or smoothness. It is also the lightest by volume or lowest specific gravity. SIC is a little harder ceramic at about 2300-2400 whereas SI3N4 is about 2000-2200.

Stainless steel 304 rings are about the hardness of 150-250 on Vickers hardness depending on the steel.
Hard chrome is about a Vickers hardness of 250-400.
PVDs we have tested are about Vickers hardness is about 500-700.
Adaman vapor is testing about 900-1000 Vickers hardness.
Aluminum oxide is about a Vickers hardness of about 1200-1400.

Rick Hall
Global Sales Manager
SeaGuide Corporation
406-750-2122
www.sea-guide.com

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: November 11, 2022 03:40PM

Rick,
Thank you very much for your informative reply. It is appreciated by all when a manufacturer takes the time to address issues personally. I have used Seaguides on a number of builds and consider them to be of very high quality and appearance. Your customer service and shipping is top notch as well.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 11, 2022 05:37PM

Really when it comes down to it on spinning rods, it is the reel. The reel is most of the weight of the entire set up. If you can lighten the reel then the overall performance of the set up is going to improve in spite the the rod components. If the rod is made to to dissipate the line motion (Fuji Concept and Rapid Reduction) of the line, it will cast farther. Casting reels have been made to be superlight, increasing the performance of a set up. You can literally have a combination of rod reel and line that is under 8oz. Spinning reels have been inherently more heavy, and the technology to lighten them has mostly been advanced in the last few years. When you can get a super light spinning reel, then it will make a difference in you entire set up and the tweaking of the rod will be more important to performance.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr01.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 13, 2022 06:11AM

I find it interesting that so many are ultra-interested in the lightest guides available but so few are interested in objective data on how the differences in guide weight affect the performance of the finished rod. Lighter guides theoretically improve sensitivity (the ability to feel a bite) and unequivocally increase the recovery speed of the rod. But how much? Is it significant? Only those who measure the True Natural Frequency know.

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---)
Date: November 13, 2022 01:01PM

For the past few years I've been using either Minima or SSR guides and have been pleased with the results. I use light, 6 and 8 lb, mono on the rods I've built and haven't any problems. Ceramic tip tops of course. On my next build I'll try the Adaman coated guides. Thanks Norm.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster