I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Alps Toray MVT
Posted by: Rick Shaffer (67.213.20.---)
Date: November 01, 2022 08:25PM

I have ordered an Eternity RX 10 ETEC72MH-SS for soft plastics. I have seen positive comments on this site regarding the Alps MVT16 Toray Reel Seat. Having built close to 30 casting rods, I have mainly used Fuji ECSM reel seats and have not needed an insert. The MVT Toray has an insert, not being familiar with inserts, what purpose does it serve???? I am fairly sure it will be a 16-12.5 or close. I noticed 16-14mm and above reel seats do not use an insert. I'm not sure but wouldn't the insert possibly decrease sensitivity????? My goal is light and sensitive. Please advise. Thank you in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alps Toray MVT
Posted by: Wade Hirai (---)
Date: November 01, 2022 11:45PM

The insert is for looks. If you look at the picture, the insert is that dark woven carbon that you see through the side cut outs. It ends there, it doesn't go the full length of the seat. The seats usually come with the insert pre-glued.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 02, 2022 01:38PM

Yes it will. Direct contact with the blank is the most sensitive. I use mostly Fuji SKTS split Reel Seats on casting rods. I cast soft plastics, top waters and jerk baits with them. I do not like SK split reel seats with spinning rods because they are uncomfortable to cast. The casting ones are fine and fit in your hand much better with a lot of blank contact.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 02, 2022 04:05PM

Rick, in case you weren't aware, the MVT seats are sized at the end of the thread barrel, not the rear of the seat. So order accordingly. If not sure, go the half size smaller and just ream to fit, That's what I do. And while they don't ream super easily, they aren't that hard to ream. As far as the insert decreasing sensitivity. Technically since the blank is contacting the insert in that area, I guess it would, but I seriously doubt if you or anyone could tell a difference between the two in that respect.

The blank contact window on the MVT is forward of the where it is on the ECSM, and is a little bit longer which gives you a little more area of exposed blank for your fingers to touch. I love the MVT seat. Ever since using my first one, it's been the only seat I've used on my casting rod builds. It is extremely comfortable to fish with, and I personally think it's a lot better looking seat than the ECSM. But if your major concern is how much each one of them weighs, the ECSM is going to be lighter. But I have no idea how much lighter.

I'm not one that really worries about the total weight of a rod. Where the weight is located is what has the most affect on rod performance, and weight at the reel seat has little if any affect.

Date: November 06, 2022 07:58AM

Thanks to all who commented regarding this topic....THANK YOU David, just the information I needed.....I have ordered the Toray MVT. Thanks again

Posted by: Michael Ward (---.atlagax1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: November 06, 2022 01:59PM

great seats- won't be disappointed

Date: November 06, 2022 03:42PM

Thanks for your comment Michael....I respect your opinion as you are a regular contibutor of good knowledge on this site.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster