I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

UNDERLAYMENT TO PRODUCE TEXTURED THREAD WRAPS
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: October 30, 2022 09:07PM

Looking for something different yet subtle for my thread wraps, I started looking for a method to texture my wraps from underneath. I experimented with FG drywall tape, household window screening and a few others and I’m certain that I was not the first to do so. The results were quite pleasing with a slight texture to the wrap which I think offered a very subtle dimension to an otherwise common smooth surface. Looking for different underlying materials to utilize, I asked my friend who owns a sign shop if there might be any perforated “sign vinyl” and indeed there was. This perforated sign vinyl is used to cover windows yet one can see through it; most common uses are on city buses where it is difficult to see in but easy to see out. The perforations are ~.060in diameter and spaced about the same and has an adhesive backing = easy to use. At ~.006in thick, it will admittedly add some weight, but so little is needed to not be overly heavy to upset performance, especially if used in the lower half of the rod.
I just wanted to pass along a discovery to those who might be interested. Please find the attached links if you care to do so. These were wrapped on my test blank and there are 3 “perforated” wraps between some rather obnoxious colored fade wraps (I don’t know which colors may look good together until actually wrapping them). The wine-colored one on the left is wrapped with Gudebrod nylon E (the only regular I own) and the gold and brown are ProWrap NCP-A.
While certainly not expected for everyone, maybe someone can benefit.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: UNDERLAYMENT TO PRODUCE TEXTURED THREAD WRAPS
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 01, 2022 04:04PM

There was an article on this about 10 years ago in RodMaker featuring a host of items that can be used under the shrink tubing. You're correct - it's an easy and different way to utilize shrink tubing, not just for looks but for function as well.

Date: November 01, 2022 07:05PM

Thanks Tom. I’m sorry if I explained my finding inadequately. This is not shrink tubing but rather quite available “sign vinyl”; perforated flat sheets with an adhesive backing. After the perforated vinyl is applied to the blank, the thread is wrapped over the vinyl and consequently the thread follows the contours created by the (perforation) holes producing small, uniform divots in the thread wrap. If it is a guide wrap, the guide is mounted between the base perforated vinyl and the thread. The end result will look like a typical thread wrap at first glance but closer inspection reveals the divot pattern from underneath. Excuse me for any confusion.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: November 01, 2022 07:48PM

No problem. Looks like a good technique. Reminds me a little of the 2nd part of this library article but using a different medium. There is so much stuff you can do in rod building if you think outside the box. - [www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2022 07:50PM by Tom Kirkman.

Date: November 01, 2022 11:18PM

Tom,
Thanks for providing the link to “Texturizing Grips and Wraps”; I assume it is the same RodMaker article you referred to earlier. It was an interesting and informative read. That is the effect I was looking for but rather for over wrapping with thread rather than shrink tubing.
With the exception of the layout time required for the thread cross wraps, the shrink tube method should be fairly quick and simple. But, again, I’m wrapping over with thread. I found it difficult, if not a bit aggravating, to TRY to keep the wrapping thread packed nicely when applied over a base thread diamond, FG drywall tape, window screening and other mediums experimented with. The perforated sign vinyl is smooth enough to allow manipulation of the wrapping thread yet soft enough to securely hold it once in place. With the adhesive backing, just cut the width required, apply it around the blank, cut it off where it meets the starting point, and you’re done = quick and simple to apply and quick and simple to wrap over with thread! Although the ultimate texture may not be quite as pronounced as with an underlayment of thread or drywall tape, nonetheless it is still very visible yet in a more subtle nature = preferred by me anyway.

Mark Talmo

Date: November 02, 2022 07:14AM

No, not the same article. This was an earlier one.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 02, 2022 12:07PM

Hi Mark & Tom.

I can't find anything on what you are talking about, but all these articles are interesting.

15/1 Inlays Using Gold Wire. By Tom Kirkman. 14
17/1 Foil, Crinkled Technique. By Dwayne Talbot. 14
19/4 Faux Finish Evolution. 22
25/2 Creative Modifications By Tom Kirkman 12
22/1 Creative Rod Crafting (Part One). By Nuno Paulina. 14
22/2 Creative Rod Crafting (Part Two). By Nuno Paulina. 14
11/3 Custom (How Custom Are Your Rods?). 10
14/1 Blanks: Hydro Printing The Ultimate Custom Blank Coating. By Tom Kirkman. 22
2/3 Feature: Instead Of Diamonds, Think Triangles. By Buddy Owens. 22
14/1 Feature: Craquele! By Marco Antonio da Silva. 10
14/3 Feature: Easy Free-Form Wrapping. By Tom Kirkman. 22
18/5 Feature: Cord Under Glass. By Tom Kirkman. 16
15/6 Corded Tennessee By Tom Kirkman. 22
17/1 Coins & Pens, Affixing. By Tom Kirkman. 18

Tom, if you remember what the name is I can look again, I don' have anything on “Texturizing Grips and Wraps (none of the 1st-2nd volumes).

Hope you find what you are looking for, keep us informed.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2022 01:59PM by Robert A. Guist.

Date: November 02, 2022 01:05PM

It was about using shrink tubing. But Mark's technique doesn't require that so it's probably a mute point.

Date: November 02, 2022 03:01PM

Robert,
Yet again you have come through; your “indexing” of RodMaker articles is a valued asset!!! I think it is safe to say that ALL OF US thank you for all of your time and effort and taking it upon yourself to produce such. Tom should consider compensating for your list and publish it; it might even spark sales of back-issues. Thank you again for an appreciated job well done!!!
With the lack of other replies, I may be the only one who sees any possibilities or benefits of the technique. But then, I’ve already recognized that it may not be for everyone.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 02, 2022 05:29PM

Hello Mark.

I have done a lot of weird stuff on rods, once I took some fine cord (real fine-just larger than "E") and glued it on a blank into a pattern (like a rose) and then wrapped it with "A" or even silk thread.

The patterns are faint but they are there.

There are many things you can do using that basic technique, and there many off the wall techniques out there, and at some point MOST have been done by someone.

Keep playing with it Mark, you will have some fun exploring what you can do and wat you can't.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 02, 2022 07:17PM

It's a variation of the JT Dragonscale wrap. (Jim Trelikes)

Date: November 02, 2022 07:34PM

Robert,
You are so correct; exploring different ideas, venues, methods and materials is really what rod building is all about, at least in my book. Being a habitual over-thinker and fabricator of many different mediums, rod building has afforded me with a venue to really think outside-the-box and utilize knowledge gained in the previous years and experiences of my life. Although quite a few of my rod building ideas may have initially seemed like a brain-storm, many have turned-out to be brain-flatulence. Nonetheless, it is invigorating to investigate and explore a virtually endless plethora of options.

Mark Talmo

Date: November 02, 2022 08:36PM

Gottfried was the first to either do, or publish, the textured thread wrap.

Date: November 02, 2022 09:24PM

Totally forgot about Gottfried! LOL Where might I read more about this individual? Never mind, I found him, somehow I knew just where to look.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2022 09:29PM by Lynn Behler.

Date: November 02, 2022 09:37PM

Lynn,
Please share!

Mark Talmo

Date: November 02, 2022 09:38PM

His article was published in 1998, quite a few years before anyone else had shown, photographed or mentioned the technique. Hard to argue with actual dated, printed material.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: November 02, 2022 10:03PM

Mark Talmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Robert,
> .... Thank you again for an appreciated job well done!!!

I second Mark's remarks...markedly.

Date: November 04, 2022 09:25PM

Mark, it's in the library above, texturizing grips or wraps. Not actually the JT dragonscale mentioned, but the same principal.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster