I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Applying decals
Posted by: Danny Smith (---)
Date: October 30, 2022 04:50PM

I searched previous posts and did not find an acceptable solution to my problem. I have had some difficulty with placing decals on the rod. I know the problem is with my first coat of epoxy. It is not leveling well and looks kind of lumpy when looking at it closely. I use heat and it still does not level well. If I put the decal on this lumpy coat, no amount of coats will make to look right. I use a high build product, and after reading an unrelated post, am thinking I need to use a lighter product. Am I doing something wrong? Possibly a layer of CP would be better than epoxy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Applying decals
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 30, 2022 05:16PM

You're putting on too much epoxy. Any epoxy is only going to support so much of itself before it starts to sag and run. Try putting on less.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Danny Smith (---)
Date: October 30, 2022 06:31PM

Thanks Tom. I will try that. I was thinking it did not have enough epoxy and was not covering completely. I will try a few on my practice blank and see if that solves that problem.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: October 31, 2022 02:42PM

Danny,
Tom may very well be correct; if so = great, you’ve solved your dilemma.
If not, consider this. All thread epoxies are designed, amongst other things, to self-level and they all do a good job of doing so even if some possibly better than others. Discovering how much to apply is the key; too little may leave ridges / streaks circumferally while too much may produce a smooth surface but “football” shaped. I have found that the light versions self-level better than the high-build versions, noticeably so when applied thinly. If indeed you are applying too much yet still getting a lumpy, uneven surface, you may have a (slight) contamination issue. Consider wiping the surface with a solvent such as acetone or DNA, allow it to thoroughly dry, then lightly scuff with 400 or a gray ScotchBrite pad, remove the dust, followed by applying your epoxy. Good luck!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Lee Swaim (---)
Date: October 31, 2022 08:58PM

Danny,
I am here to 2nd Tom's comment. I have found that applying a thin coat of epoxy on the rod yields the best result. I primarily build on raw graphite rods so when there's just enough epoxy on the rod so that I can't see the bare rod that's the perfect amount.

Lee

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: October 31, 2022 11:09PM

Make sure the room temp is at least 70 + degrees because for epoxy to level really well it needs to be warm in the room you're applying it in . Whenever I had issues with epoxy not leveling correctly and getting lumpy it was always due to the room I was applying it in not being warm enough . It will get lumpy really fast in a colder room .

Even if you warm up the epoxy beforehand like you admitted to doing, if the room temp isn't warm enough you will still have issues. High build if mixed correctly should work fine just do what Tom said to do which is apply less . Read his link it covers it all.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster