I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NFC fly blank ferrules
Posted by: Andrew Ogilvie (---.gci.net)
Date: October 24, 2022 03:49AM

Does NFC make any fly blanks that have standard ‘tip over butt’ style ferrules-?
Not looking for ‘Ferrule Lite’ as an option…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2022 04:09AM by Andrew Ogilvie.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC fly blank ferrules
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 24, 2022 11:01AM

NFC makes both. If the blank performance will be adversely affected by an overly stiff ferrule, then they use the best design for the situation, this ferruling system is nothing new. Check with them, but I imagine the vast majority are tip over butt.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: October 24, 2022 01:05PM

NFC fly blanks are tip over butt.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 24, 2022 02:42PM

Andrew,
Who told you they don't build tip over butt fly blanks? I don't see anything saying they do that. On an info note, I have two steelhead casting rods that were designed butt over tip, Japanese build and designs, 30 years old and like brand new as far as ferrule fit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2022 02:47PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 24, 2022 04:15PM

I believe the "Ferrule Lite" is a tip over butt style that does not require you to return one section of the rod if you should need a section replaced. Otherwise most ferruled rods require some hand fitting of ferrules to restore a good fit on replacement sections.

Date: October 24, 2022 05:49PM

I apologize….I didn’t word this correctly.
Yes, these technically are ‘tip over butt’ ferrules.
The problem I have with NFC’s ‘Ferrule Lite’ joints is that too much of the male section of the joint sticks out, thus
making it aesthetically unpleasing to the eye. It gives the appearance that the male section isn’t pushed in all the way.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: October 24, 2022 06:26PM

Andrew, I think you are referring to a spigot ferrule versus the modern tip over butt ferrules (Feralite ferrule). Technically both are tip over butt ferrules, but the spigot ferrule uses an internal plug which the tip fits over. The most common ‘standard’ ferrule used these days is the modern tip over butt ferrule. Spigot ferrules are difficult to find, and thus are not the standard. I’m pretty sure NFC does not make blanks with a spigot ferrule.
Norm

Date: October 25, 2022 01:23AM

Maybe I should rephrase the question:
Are all NFC fly rod blanks made with ‘ferrule lite’ joints?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: October 25, 2022 11:37AM

Yes.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster