I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Top Safety Tips
Posted by: Cory Lowe (---.brainerd.net)
Date: October 22, 2022 05:48PM

What are the top things to consider? I'm new to this.

I'm trying to understand epoxy and sanding/refurbishing rods.

I loved this resource. Maybe we should add this here:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Cory Lowe
Man of 10,000 Lakes

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Top Safety Tips
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: October 22, 2022 05:56PM

There is not a lot that is dangerous with rod building. You mentioned epoxy and yes it can be hazardous to many. Exposure to the skin should be avoided., Also obviously power tools should be handled properly,

If you plan on getting into the use of a lathe, it is a whole other game as far as safety.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 22, 2022 06:52PM

What Phil said. No real need to add much else as far as advice goes.

Date: October 22, 2022 07:02PM

OK, what are epoxy safety tips? Do I need to do it outside? Do I need special gloves? Do I need to let it completely dry outside? Or is it just that some people are extra sensitive?

If/when sanding rods, so I need some sort of special face mask?

Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: October 22, 2022 08:30PM

Epoxy doesn't have significant fume problems, but it can be tough on skin. Try not to get it on you. Thread epoxy should be fairly easy not to get on you. If having problems with rod buidling epoxy you could wear gloves. Yes, if you are going to sand rod blanks you should be outside and wear a mask (respirator). I would be very careful around sanding rods. Generally you can completely strip a rod (epoxy and paint) without having to sand. Slightly dull razor blade held at 90 degrees works well to scrape of epoxy and paint, and scotch brite leaves a nice surface without truly sanding.

Date: October 23, 2022 12:38PM

Why would you be sanding rods?

Date: October 23, 2022 12:44PM

Phil, maybe I won't. I heard somewhere to try to refurbish rods, which was what I was talking about. I won't try that at the beginning.

Cory Lowe
Man of 10,000 Lakes

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: October 23, 2022 04:07PM

Don’t fry bacon naked!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: October 23, 2022 07:04PM

Lol. Good call!

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 24, 2022 07:45AM

For some reason some people seem to be allergic to epoxy, but most people are not. No fumes as previously mentioned. You likely will not have reactions to epoxy, but simply use care to avoid getting it on you. It's very easy to get it tracked onto the rod blank and if it cures, you won't easily get it off. Denatured alcohol is good for cleaning uncured epoxy up off wherever it ends up. I would avoid stronger solvents that have strong fumes. There is no need for them anyway.

If you do sand blanks it's probably wise to wet sand them to avoid dust. Unless you refurbish you probably will not be doing that. There are suggetions on this in the post on NFC ridges on this forum.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 24, 2022 02:34PM

Note:
There are a couple of materials that work really well - both for cleaning as well as thinning other adhesives.
These two materials are

Acetone
Xylene

Although both of these materials work much better than virtually any other material for both cleaning as well as thinning epoxy and similar uses, they are VERY HAZARDOUS and need to be used with the upmost caution and with excellent ventilation.

I routinely use these chemicals, but I only use either one with the upmost caution and care.

----------
With respect to working with a lathe to use to shape grips and or work on blanks.
Do not ever wear gloves when using a lathe. I was warned not to use gloves while using a lathe and almost paid with the loss of a finger or multiple fingers when the tip of one gloved finger got caught in the work that was being turned.
Fortunately, the glove was ripped off my hand with no damage to my hand/s.

Best wishes

Best wishes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2022 02:37PM by roger wilson.

Date: October 24, 2022 05:35PM

I argue that acetone is not necessary for successful rod building, I've never used it, have not needed it, and IMHO it's too risky.

Posted by: woody osborne (---)
Date: October 24, 2022 07:46PM

wear eye protection when you're flexing rods/blanks.

Date: October 24, 2022 10:12PM

xylene should be avoided in rod building, there is no need to use it! It is dangerous !!

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 25, 2022 08:32AM

I agree with Roger, Acetone and Xylene are excellent solvents, Xylene is does a good job of removing silicone which is a major cause of fish eyes.

YES, these solvents like any other solutions can be risky and dangerous if your are ignorant of their hazards, or careless in applying and handling, or not using PPE (personal protection equipment).

Also we are not talking large amounts of solvent to wipe a blank or clean up around reel seats and grips.

Don't be intimidated by the dangers of solvents, they are very effective and safe when properly handled.

The save use of any chemical, tool or activity is determined by the amount of effort or awareness you apply to it

Bottom line use what you are comfortable with and works for you.

Have fun.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 25, 2022 02:49PM

My safety tips; don't cut the tips of your fingers off with a chop saw for the length adjustment of the rod butt and inhaling the epoxy and solvent used will not get you high, but in the state of California they could cause cancer. Oh also, you could poke your eye out with tip of the blank. Wear safety glasses.

Date: October 25, 2022 06:02PM

Yes, we can talk about proper care, properly handled, amount of effort to use properly, awareness, etc etc etc. "Awareness" doesn't do anything without action. I guess I'm lazy. I like to use effective, efficient, materials inside the house without worrying about whether or not I have the proper ventilation. With alcohol, no problems and it works for everything I've needed.

I remember the time when there was a recommended de-greaser/cleaner that ultimately was found to have a very severe influence on people who had recently drunk an alcoholic drink. Can't remember the name of it, but it was universally used. Until a woman cleaning up stains after a party died.

I'm not a California nutcase who thinks everything including air and water need cancer warnings.

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: October 25, 2022 06:57PM

x2 on the gloves while using the lathe. any loose clothing (i.e flannel shirt sleeves etc.) should be avoided IMO. Bench grinders too, not that theres much use for them in rod building. maybe some use them for guide feet IDK.

years ago when i worked in a shop, i saw a guy get his shirt ripped off on a bench grinder, granted he was a poster boy for what not to do with tools as he was also missing fingers and half a thumb from a miter saw accident years earlier..poor Stu was a mess.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster