I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Struggling with ridges on NFC X-Ray blank
Posted by: Daniel Grundvig (---)
Date: October 22, 2022 04:57PM

I'm in the middle of building an NFC LMX FAF908-4 fly rod with an X-Ray finish. I'm having difficulty burnishing the wrapped thread to eliminate gaps- either the thread wants to rest on the ridges or in the valleys. This results in gaps in the wrap where the gray of the blank shows through- very unprofessional looking. The problem wasn't too bad near the butt end of the rod because the ridges are more widely spaced and not as "tall". However, on the top two tips sections, the ridges are very pronounced and I'm struggling with a way to handle this. I guess I could put a coat of finishing epoxy under the footprint of the guides but I want to keep the build as light as possible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2022 06:04PM by Daniel Grundvig.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Struggling with ridges on NFC X-Ray blank
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 22, 2022 05:00PM

I agree with you, PIA, but I've always been told I'm the only one who struggles with the blanks. Suggestions include larger thread, but if you are like I am, I have tons of A and no D.

Gut it out and in the future buy the mirror finish or Point Blank. Point Blanks are smooth and very high sensitivity, fast recovery time blanks. Cannot be beaten when sensitivity is the goal.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (---)
Date: October 22, 2022 06:28PM

I just finished a lmx 1004-4 euro nymph rod. I normally use silk. Not on these. Go with nylon. Lighten up on the thread tension a bit it makes it easier to pack and burnish. Go slow and pack often. That’s my 2 cents.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 22, 2022 06:59PM

Of no help to you, but I can sympathize with what you're going through. I picked up a couple X ray blanks before they offered the mirror finish (at least in their bass rod blanks) I lightly sanded the entire blank of both of the blanks I purchased for the exact reason you're running into.

And Michael is absolutely right ..... I remember when I first got them I mentioned how I thought the ridges would make wrapping them a real pain, and got numerous responses like those that Michael mentioned. All I know is I am glad I sanded my blanks myself. lol

Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: October 22, 2022 08:23PM

Agree with Gary above. Go slow, pack often, lower thread tension. Also, wrapping xrays is easier after wrapping some deltas which have much more prominent ridges. Also agree with Mick, I'm done with ridges even if I can wrap on them ok. Lots of other options.

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: October 22, 2022 08:51PM

X3, lower tension otherwise it digs in and you can’t pack. If you can wrap towards the butt. Some days off the foot flows, others…..the LMX FAF are bears.

Just cut off and redo the bad ones until you hit the groove, pun intended.

Date: October 22, 2022 09:11PM

I'll try lowering the tension to see if that helps but I've already experienced some issues with the wraps staying in place even with up to 8 wraps before the tag end is pulled through- the ridges don't allow a tight cinch. I've done 5 guides which look presentable and have 5 more to go (toward the tip). Unless there is some extra ordinary (i.e. huge) improvement is rod performance by having the ridges on a rod blank, I wont be buying another. The extra work isn't worth the effort when there are so many excellent blanks to choose from. I'll finish this one...lesson learned. Thanks everyone for advice (and condolences) lol

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: October 22, 2022 09:26PM

A light sanding might help a great deal. Light !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2022 09:27PM by Lynn Behler.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 22, 2022 10:03PM

Make sure you are wrapping in the opposite direction of the ridges.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: October 22, 2022 10:38PM

I much prefer the smooth over the ridged version also , far far easier and quicker to wrap .

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 23, 2022 06:30AM

Wow! I'm not trhe Lone Ranger after all.

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: October 23, 2022 01:13PM

Some good suggestions, but I have another. Use size B thread (can get it from Mudhole or American Tackle) As a slightly larger thread, it is less susceptable to the ridge effects. I completed two NFC fly rods, a 4-wt and a 5-wt, both with the ridges. Using the B thread, I had no issues with gaps or burnishing, and B thread looks almost as clean as A, no ropey effect like D will give you.

One other caution, don't burnish over the ridges with too much pressure or you risk cutting the thread.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: October 23, 2022 03:15PM

When putting the rod decal on, lay down a coat of epoxy first.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: October 23, 2022 06:31PM

If you don’t like the resin ridges on the unfinished NFC X-ray blanks then wet sand them smooth. Use 500 or 800 grit wet/dry sand paper. Wet sanding keeps the dust down, and is very easy to do by hand. All you are doing is removing the excess resin which is squeezed out during the cellophane wrapping and heat curing processes of manufacturing a blank. You are not removing any of the carbon fibers, just the resin. Basically you are polishing the blank smooth. Only takes a few minutes to do and is surprisingly easy.
Norm

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: October 23, 2022 07:51PM

does the black mirror finish still have slight ridges?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 23, 2022 07:53PM

No they have been sanded.
Norm

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: October 24, 2022 08:00AM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No they have been sanded.
> Norm
THX!

Date: October 24, 2022 06:43PM

Well, the rod is done and it looks pretty good. Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I've been building rods off and on for nearly 40 years but I can always depend on forum members to provide constructive suggestions to improve my craft. For that I'm grateful.

Since this rod is for a friend, I'll never personally know the attributes of this particular fly rod blank. For those who have fished an x-ray blank, was reducing the tension, wrapping and packing more slowly and frequently than you normally would, wrapping toward the butt, sanding the blank, and putting down a layer of epoxy before applying the decal worth the extra effort? I'm not trying to be snarky here but my last build was a CTS so I guess I expected a similar time frame for the build. lol Thanks again guys for helping me through this build!

Dan

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: October 24, 2022 07:17PM

The FAF LMX are the worst ones. They test my patience. The classic and Gama Beta are hand sanded. So you “lucked” out

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 24, 2022 07:47PM

Daniel, I'm not a fly fisherman, I'm a bass angler, so my blanks were 7'3" one piece blanks. As I mentioned earlier, I sanded my blanks, mostly because I knew I wouldn't be able to tolerate the feel of the ridges. Also, and important as well, I use size A thread, and wrap with high thread tension. I knew the ridges would present a huge problem for me. I never asked on here how to get around it, but I will say that for me personally, I would no way reduce the tension I wrap with, and use larger size thread just to make it possible to wrap over the ridges. As Norman said, the ridges sand off very easily. I put my blanks in my power wrapper to sand them, and it may have taken 20 minutes per blank to get them smooth.

You ask if it was worth the trouble. If I remember correctly I paid $75 each for the blanks, so for me, the performance the blanks offered compared to other $75 blanks makes the sanding I did more than worth the small amount of trouble I went through. The priciest blanks I have built on thus far would be the two Rainshadow Eternity blanks I have built on. One was the RX 9 version of that series, and the other the newer RX 10 version. The X ray and RX 10 are IMO neck and neck when it comes to sensitivity and blank quality.

So yeah, to me for the price, it was well worth it. And honestly, even if the ridged X ray was the same price as an RX 10 blank, it still would have been worth it because sanding them was very easily done.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster