I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Single Reel vs. Multi Reel
Posted by: Cory Lowe (---.brainerd.net)
Date: October 22, 2022 09:37AM

I'm new to this forum. First post. Hello, everyone!

Building my first rod. Learning about the guide train. That's the reason I got into this.

I am trying to determine if I should design a rods to fit a given reel, or if I should make general rods. See below. I'm trying to determine how much the performance would be impacted.

SINGLE REEL STRATEGY
How important is the guide train? I'm reading about the Fuji system. This is based on knowing which reel you will use. If this is a huge important thing, then I should design rods for a specific reel.

MULTI-REEL STRATEGY
I'm trying to determine if I should plan to design rods that for a given reel, or that will work with a handful of reels. If the change in performance isn't that different (10% or less in casting/sensitivity), then it doesn't make sense to design a single reel for a rod - for lots of people anyways.)

If I go with the multi reel strategy, any advice on how to design the train? Any gotchas?

Thanks!

Cory Lowe
Man of 10,000 Lakes

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Single Reel vs. Multi Reel
Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: October 22, 2022 10:06AM

I vote for the multi-reel strategy...

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: October 22, 2022 10:12AM

What type of rods are you planning on building; spinning, casting, freshwater, saltwater? What sizes and types of line are going to be used? In my opinion, It is preferable to build a rod for a particular person based on the type of fishing he/she does, rather than building a one size fits all rod. I much prefer using the KR concept, especially when using braid.
Norm

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 22, 2022 10:39AM

I personally think the reel is not that important, but if one wants to design for a reel then design for the largest reel planned.

More important than the reel is the line. If one uses braid 15 pound test or less it really won't matter what the guide system is. Almost anything will work pretty well. if planning to use mono or FC above about 8 pound test then the guides become more important.

Like Norman, I prefer KR system (KLH 20-10-5.5M then KB's/KT's to the end) for spin, RV6 then KB/KT's to the end for baitcast. Consult the Anglersresource.net site in the left margin. I mix my reels for spin and cannot say I've ever really noticed a difference. They all cast very well with 15 -20 pound braid.

Posted by: Cory Lowe (---.brainerd.net)
Date: October 22, 2022 11:15AM

Can you elaborate on why line size makes so much difference? It has to do with the coils?

Sounds like line size is more important than the angle of the rod, if I understand correctly.

Can you give an example of how you would change the guides, based on line size?

Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: October 22, 2022 12:14PM

Yes, it has to do with the "coils." Braid is soft and will go through just about any guide fine.Mono and fluoro are not very soft, especially with high pound test. Basically if you are going to fish mono or fluoro that is heavier, you want larger guides to start with to tame the line. Reel is much less important. A little different angle or a few mm in spool size won't make much difference. Yes, there would be a difference between a 1000 size reel and a 5000 size reel, but reel size and line size tend to go together. Also, make sure you are looking at the KR GPS on the fuji (anglers resource) site. I just tried it and if you use light braid it has the same guides whether you use a 1000 size reel or a 500 0 size reel.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 22, 2022 12:35PM

Like Peter says.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 22, 2022 02:39PM

If I remember right the KR video specified, that they used stiff 8 lb. FC line to test with, so there you go problem solved.
I have found if I set up a rod for a 2000 reel, it also works just as good on a 2500, or 3000. Once I get into 12 lb. line on a 4000 I am stepping up one size on guides as I'm also in 12 lb. or greater class mono, and frankly I'm thinking about a spiral wrapped casting rod in most of my personal situations.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 22, 2022 02:50PM

Se the rod up for the largest reel and heaviest line you plan to use. Anything less than that will still work OK.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: October 22, 2022 03:20PM

Cory,
The above replies are good and I agree.
When pursuing the pinnacle of performance, is it best to build the guide train to accommodate the actual reel to be used ? Probably. Is it splitting hairs? Probably. Have I noticed a difference when using different reels on the same rod? Probably not. I am referring to being realistic and reasonable here; not comparing line flow of a 1000 versus a 5000 spin reel on the same rod. Although both types of guide trains (spin / cast) are affected by the type of line used (mono, fluoro, braid), I think it is safe to say that spinning setups are more sensitive to line type (the “coils'' you mentioned).
We still don’t know for certain that you are building a spinning rod but it sounds like it.
Good luck and enjoy the addiction.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: October 22, 2022 09:40PM

Look into the KR Gps on the Anglers Resource page. It allows you to input various reel and line types/sizes and you can see how it changes layouts accordingly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster