I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gold Leaf
Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: October 17, 2022 02:26PM

Recently acquired about 20 sheets of 22k gold leaf. I am going to use it on some of my builds. Anyone ever use this product on a rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gold Leaf
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: October 17, 2022 02:51PM

Mark,
I have not used gold leaf before but have watched my friend who owns a sign shop apply it. It requires certain techniques and materials and being well versed with both. Volume 22, issue 4 of RodMaker magazine offered an informative article by Bill Falconer on making gold leaf scales. Otherwise, an internet search or possibly asking the right sign shop to show you the process is definitely in order.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 17, 2022 02:59PM

Search the author Randy Parpart, he did some stuff with the craft store stuff back in the day, I think he even did a video. From what I remember it was a simple process.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 17, 2022 06:11PM

Bill Falconer, the new owner of Anglers Resources, did an article for RodMaker on using Gold Leaf a few years ago. I can't remember what issue it was in. Will try and take a look tomorrow and see if I can find it.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 17, 2022 07:00PM

Hello Tom.

Mark already listed it v22 I4 page 22.

Thanks Mark.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: October 17, 2022 07:10PM

Thanks, guys. Sounds like it is doable. I will try it next week and post results good or bad.

Posted by: Sterling Gray (---.crounse.com)
Date: October 27, 2022 04:28PM

Bill Falconer posted a video on YouTube of him putting gold leaf on a dragonscale wrap. Great video.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: October 27, 2022 07:09PM

Go with the video Bill's an excellent teacher!

Date: November 23, 2022 01:03PM

Built this redfish rod on a CB 704-1 NFC blank.

Thats a "belt" of scales from a 16" red dried around a blank mandrel and then glued to the rod blank. I left a live edge. The belt covers about 3/4 of the rod diameter. The "belly" side has an application of gold leaf. The leaf was too smooth for my liking so I applied about 25 small crinkled flakes on top of the sheet while the first coat of tinted epoxy was still wet. It gave more of a textured look.

The epoxy was tinted with various mixtures of VooDoo metallic dust. Colors are Sparkling Rust, Copper Penny, Inca Gold, and Liquid Bronze.

The blue tint on the "tail" is VooDoo Blue Dragon.

For the black spots I mixed some purple and black acrylic then added just a touch of the Blue Dragon. After applying the sizing for the appropriate size spots, I then laid down the gold sheet and brushed away the excess. Next, I painted the "grackle" color over the sheet leaving some of the edges exposed. Lastly. I dabbed a small flake of the gold onto the wet acrylic. Its got one coat of lightly tinted epoxy on it now. I'll probably apply a couple more light coats of clear.

Learned a lot from the videos posted and really enjoyed the process. I don't normally build rods with elaborate artwork. I'll just go back to building the basics with good quality components. After all it is just a fishing rod.

VOODOO RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster