I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Fluorocarbon Line on a Spinning rod
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 17, 2022 11:59AM

David,
I wonder if you would try a test.

Take your various fluro lines and do the sand paper test and the stretch test on all of your various lines - and test them both dry and also build a tank so that you can also test them wet.

After your testing is complete, let us all know what you find.

Best wishes

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ronald Atchley (96.125.236.---)
Date: October 17, 2022 12:42PM

If a tyro made add an opinion here , I simply can't get FC lines to work for me on my spinning rigs . I broke down an spent the $$$ on some 8# Tatsu and still had so many problems with line twist that I gave up . I can tolerate an occasional birds nest with casting gear but , to me , it's completely out of place with a spinning rig . My life is much better with Norman Miller's suggested braid with FG knot to FC leader . As far as abrasion differences are concerned , I do use a FC marketed as more abrasion resistant ( eg AbrazX ) but believe the best "sandpaper" test is the one you do every few cast to check for rough spots or knicks .

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: October 17, 2022 01:41PM

AbraizX is one of the stiffest FC lines I have ever used. No doubt that won't hang on a spinning spool!

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: October 17, 2022 02:36PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I assume you mean "larger butt guide?" The choke
> would the first of the running guides, which are
> the smallest guides on the rod.
>
Thanks, Tom. After 2 years, the learning curve is finally starting to flatten a little bit.

Posted by: Ronald Atchley (96.125.236.---)
Date: October 17, 2022 03:31PM

Aaron Petersen Wrote:
> AbraizX is one of the stiffest FC lines I have
> ever used. No doubt that won't hang on a spinning
> spool!

Yes sir . You're exactly right . That's why I only use around 4-5 foot of it as a leader . Sorry , I should express myself better

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: October 17, 2022 03:33PM

Aaron Petersen Wrote:
> AbraizX is one of the stiffest FC lines I have
> ever used. No doubt that won't hang on a spinning
> spool!

pretty sure hes using AbraizX as a leader only. he mentioned tatsu for mainline... i use AbraizX for leaders and agree no way that stuff would do well as a spinning reel's mainline.

My fishing buddy is pretty much anti braid and uses p line fluro, cx and cxx. for the life of me i cant figure out how he deals with it. BUT when a heavy wind picks up on the river and we are fishing bottom finesse baits for smallies, he has the advantage. i tried to have one reel with fluro on it just for these type situations but gave up. too tough to deal with on spin gear.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 17, 2022 04:24PM

Roger, I certainly understand your request, but if it's ok by you, I'll just supply testing that Tackle Tour did for you to read yourself. They have been around a long time, starting out as a 8 -10 page publication that you had to subscribe to. I had one of those early subscriptions for about 3 years. I think they're pretty much just on line now, but that doesn't really matter. I trust their results as do many other anglers that I know.. Their test results transfer to on the water use quite well IMO. The first link is dry line testing. They test the lines wet in the second link.

[www.tackletour.com]

[www.tackletour.com]

Ronald, your experience with line twist with 8# Tatsu match mine. I get horrible line twist while using it on my drop shot rods, It's to a much lesser extent on my shaky head and Ned rig rods, and I've gotten to where I can control spooling problems with the latter mentioned baits, but I still get line twist with those baits. When fishing a drop shot I am dragging the line behind the boat to get line twist out, at least two times during the day. Line twist didn't show up as quickly when I used to use nylon mono to fish a drop shot, but it still showed line twist. And I have tried braid as has been mentioned on my spinning gear. I just don't like it. I would rather put up with the handling problems that using fluorocarbon on spinning gear brings, than use braid on it. Oh and unless I am fishing a Carolina rig, I hate using leaders. lol

There are no doubts that fluorocarbon line presents problems, even on casting gear. It definitely has disadvantages. Line conditioners do little to help the problem on the more premium fluorocarbon lines, because they don't absorb liquid. Line conditioner works great on Seaguar InvizX (not a quality line IMO) but is of little help on lines like Tatsu, or Sunline Shooter and Sniper. You have to be more careful tying knots with fluorocarbon lines, Some more than others. If you get a birds nest on casting gear you have to be careful when clearing it that you don't kink the line, as it can and will lead to a weak spot in the line.

I've been using fluorocarbon line for close to 20 years on casting gear, and probably close to 10 years as the main line on my spinning gear. It can be a real pain in the you know what. I have tried many different brands, and models within those brands. They all aren't good, with some being down right horrible. But the good ones .... even though they come with line management problems, are IMO far better than the best nylon or co polymer lines. The good fluorocarbon lines performance stays constant, Their breaking strength stays the same. knot strength, abrasion resistance, stretch, all stay the same. Water doesn't affect them. And UV rays don't affect them. They don't get chalky or rough feeling on the spool. The same cannot be said about nylon or co polymer lines.

I don't want to make it sound as if I have tried all the various nylon or co polymer lines out there, but I have tried a bunch. The one nylon mono I always fall back on is Berkley Big Game. And Sunline Super Natural nylon mono is some pretty good stuff as well.

Anyhow ..... as I have said in this thread and others. I totally get the disdain that fluorocarbon lines can evoke. It's not for everyone, and it's not the perfect line. No line is the perfect line for every situation, but fluorocarbon line isn't just a more expensive version of regular mono filament lines. Not if you choose the right ones.

Addition : I just read Matt's post after posting mine. Braid's performance in the wind is the exact reason I hate it on spinning gear. I use light baits when fishing spinning gear. I lose all feel with braid in the wind. Could I go to a heavier bait to help? Sure I could, but then I would be hanging up all the time, losing baits, and having tie on more leaders.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2022 04:29PM by David Baylor.

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: October 17, 2022 05:53PM

David Baylor Wrote:
Sure I could, but then I would be
> hanging up all the time, losing baits, and having
> tie on more leaders.

..........and getting way more fewer bites.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 18, 2022 07:23AM

Mark, at times ^^^ most definitely, at other times that heavier weight can get you a reaction strike. If you can keep from getting hung up. lol

Anyhow ..... I just thought I'd post a link to Tackle Tour's review of Tatsu. I didn't really need to read this review to verify what I already knew from using it. It's not the most sensitive fluorocarbon line I've ever used. Sunline Shooter wins that test hands down. But it is one of if not the most abrasion resistant fluorocarbon lines I have ever used. Again, Sunline Shooter may be just a bit better in that regard. But Sunline Shooter may be one of the worst handling fluorocarbon line's I've ever used. IMO it is a bait casting gear line only. Tatsu will work on both. You just have to understand that it isn't braid, and that it will present handling problems.

Finally, if anyone is interested, here is the link to the review of Tatsu.

[www.tackletour.com]

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster