I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Renzetti Lathe with live bed
Posted by: Mike Hubbert (---)
Date: October 14, 2022 12:46AM

I just received my new Renzetti Lathe and would like to add bed. I believe I’ve come up with a couple methods that may work using conveyer belt U groove letting casters. I certainly would like to hear about a proven method/

Mie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Renzetti Lathe with live bed
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.cust.tzulo.com)
Date: October 14, 2022 08:53AM

Not sure what you are asking. Didn't it come with a bed?

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 16, 2022 01:38AM

Mike B asks a good question.

What is your definition of a "Live bed"?

Do you want the entire Renzetti rod wrapper to be able to roll up and down your rod bench?
Do you want to have a stationary wrapper bed, but have casters on a thread carriage to be able to use the casters to ease the movement of the thread up and down the wrapper bed?

Or what?

==========================
If you want your entire wrapper bed with the wrapper on top - to move up and down the bench, you can put rollers on the bottom of the bed, as I have done for my power wrapper as shown below:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Take care

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 16, 2022 12:14PM

Andy Renzetti built a version that allows the user to sit in one place and the bed moves right and left while the thread carriage remains stationary. It's a bit more expensive than the regular unit, but you might inquire as to the cost for a unit like that one.

Posted by: Mark B. Gonsalves (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 17, 2022 03:08PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Andy Renzetti built a version that allows the user
> to sit in one place and the bed moves right and
> left while the thread carriage remains stationary.
> It's a bit more expensive than the regular unit,
> but you might inquire as to the cost for a unit
> like that one.
>
> .............

Great idea. As a wrapper of mostly longer rods, 9' and longer, I would need a much larger space than the current area I use. At this time I have my Renzetti set with 2-4' beds. My previous set up had 4-4' beds but I had to move from the area I was occupying.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 17, 2022 04:10PM

That's the biggest issue with it. For an 8-foot bed, you'd need 16 feet of space to accommodate movement of the bed from end to end.

Date: October 18, 2022 11:02AM

Mike,
For myself, the change to a power wrapper bed was an evolutionary one.
This picture taken many years ago, was the first version of a movable bed on the wrapper that I implemented to began the move away from a stationary power wrapper to a movable power wrapper:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

To implement the movement of the power wrapper, I simply used board roller stands from Home Depot that are used to support long lumber stock when cutting and milling lumber.

With the ball bearing rollers on the support stands, the power wrapper rolled easily when building rods.

At that time my rod bench was a series of 3 four foot tables with roller stands placed between each table to allow the wrapper bed to move back in forth of my work station set up in the middle of the area.

Then, after I left the lumber wrapper bed and moved to the aluminum channel, I continued to use the roller stands, before I added the skate board ball bearings to the underside of the power wrapper aluminum channel bed.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Mike Hubbert (---)
Date: October 22, 2022 11:34PM

Thanks for all the replies. I have 18’ to work with so using the Renzetti aluminum platform, I’m placing in it a channel of HDPE, for the bottom to run on and the sides are also HDPE, to keep it running true with minor side movement. I tried several router cuts of different shapes from round hold the rounded bottom of the the lathe platform. It works well, but creates a little to much friction, so next attempt is a bottom of HDPE flat and a side rail (HDPE) at 90 degree’s to keep in alignment. So the channel will be open but the bottom rail. 1/2” below the bench surface. If this works like I hope I’ll post a picture to explain and a video on how it was put together.

I’m putting the Flexcoat ac/dc wrapping motor on it, which is really sweet. Quiet and nice control with the foot pedal. I don’t understand electric motors very well, but the noise from a geared motor ruins the joy. I was looking at several motors and variable speed controllers, trying to find a motor that where I can control speed at 200 rpm for finishing, is there such a motor, or is it best to use a pulley system?

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Date: October 24, 2022 02:30PM

Mike,
I would like to chat.
Drop me an e-mail -
hflier@comcast.net

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster