I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Grip making with "gray grain" EVA
Posted by: Tyler Reinert (---)
Date: October 11, 2022 06:59PM

I bought a couple sticks of this EVA and I'm going to turn it tomorow. I notice it's a very bland pattern from the factory and has to be turned with some kind of irregularities to produce a pattern. I plan on making the grip into a concave shape for a 14" rear grip. Any tips you all have on how to get a nice pattern would be appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2022 07:00PM by Tyler Reinert.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Grip making with "gray grain" EVA
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 11, 2022 09:47PM

The "pattern" will be sort of built in to the grip. What is your priority? A certain grain pattern or a certain shape? I would think it'd be the latter, which means that the pattern will be whatever it will be once that particular shape is attained.

The only other way to obtain a different pattern would be to bore the block or cylinder off-center and turn from there. But is the stock is already bored that won't be possible.

Date: October 11, 2022 09:56PM

Thank you Tom. Have you seen the EVA I have in person? it is just layered gray and black. Basically pinstripe. But the picture online is more of faux wood grain. It seems to me as you you break through the layers of color you create that pattern. I understand with 99% of colored and patterned EVA it is what it is and as you shape it you only change the shape. But with this style my understanding is that's how the pattern emerges. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2022 09:57PM by Tyler Reinert.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 12, 2022 07:21AM

Yes you are correct, thus as I said the particular pattern you get will depend on the final shape of the grip. So the grip shape you desire may not necessarily yield the exact pattern you desire, or vice versa.

Otherwise, just turn it to the shape or taper you want and see if the pattern suits you.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (131.123.51.---)
Date: October 12, 2022 08:43AM

As long as your grip has some contour to it, either a taper or a curve, you will see a nice pattern. I agree, it's rather boring if you plan on using it for a straight grip.

Here is one of the first handles I turned, which happened to also use that material:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: October 12, 2022 01:56PM

Thank you guys as always. Going to go give it a try! If I'm not pleased with the pattern I have some black EVA to turn for my grips.

I like how your grips came out Joe. That's the look I'm hoping for.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster