I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NFC XRAY MB684 VS SB684
Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: October 11, 2022 08:34AM

Anyone compare these 2 blanks. rod deflection charts on rodhouse show them to be very similar blanks. but the SB has a light overall weight.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC XRAY MB684 VS SB684
Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: October 11, 2022 11:00AM

I have not measured either of these blanks. However, My guess is that the MB684 X-ray will be more powerful than the SB684 X-ray. In my experience with what manufacturers designate as a spin blank (such as spin bass (SB)), versus a casting blank (such as mag bass (MB)) with the same power designation, the casting (MB) version is always more powerful. I have measured the SB724 X-ray, IP=463 gm, AA=74, and the MB704 IM is listed as IP=558 gm and AA=72.4. It should be noted that both types of blanks can be made into either a spinning or casting rod, no matter the manufacturer’s designation.
Norm

Date: October 11, 2022 11:14AM

thx norman
i would think the same as you which is why when i looked at the rodhouse deflection charts for these 2 blanks, it through me... as they are so close. the MB actually loads more with 100g then they are basically identical. then the SB is .3 oz lighter which makes me think its less powerful ....not sure how accurate those charts are.

Posted by: Leonard Bourdage (---.nls.ford.com)
Date: October 15, 2022 08:53AM

I have the MB664 and the SB684. The MB has a lot more back bone. For me, the MB664 is a great 3/8 ounce jig rod and the SB684 is a good light soft plastics spinning rod (1/4 tubes and 4" weightless senkos, or light drop shot, type rod (it's a lot more buggy whip type feel than the MB).

I also have the MB704 and the SB724. I built both as spinning rods. The MB704 is a carbon copy of G Loomis' MB843 casting rod. I built it for fishing Flukes, Senkos, 3/8 ounce jigs, etc.... on windy days where a casting rod would prove more difficult in the wind. The SB724 is my favorite spinning rod of all. It is great for tubes, drop shot, neko rigs, just about any bass fishing technique that involves a spinning rod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2022 08:54AM by Leonard Bourdage.

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: October 15, 2022 11:34AM

Leonard Bourdage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have the MB664 and the SB684. The MB has a lot
> more back bone. For me, the MB664 is a great 3/8
> ounce jig rod and the SB684 is a good light soft
> plastics spinning rod (1/4 tubes and 4" weightless
> senkos, or light drop shot, type rod (it's a lot
> more buggy whip type feel than the MB).
>
> I also have the MB704 and the SB724. I built both
> as spinning rods. The MB704 is a carbon copy of G
> Loomis' MB843 casting rod. I built it for fishing
> Flukes, Senkos, 3/8 ounce jigs, etc.... on windy
> days where a casting rod would prove more
> difficult in the wind. The SB724 is my favorite
> spinning rod of all. It is great for tubes, drop
> shot, neko rigs, just about any bass fishing
> technique that involves a spinning rod.

Interesting. So, you feel the SB684 is not just a shorter version of SB724, but a lighter power as well? I would have though those would be very similar.

Date: October 15, 2022 01:22PM

Leonard Bourdage Wrote:
> I have the MB664 and the SB684. The MB has a lot
> more back bone. For me, the MB664 is a great 3/8
> ounce jig rod and the SB684 is a good light soft
> plastics spinning rod (1/4 tubes and 4" weightless
> senkos, or light drop shot, type rod (it's a lot
> more buggy whip type feel than the MB).
>
> I also have the MB704 and the SB724. I built both
> as spinning rods. The MB704 is a carbon copy of G
> Loomis' MB843 casting rod. I built it for fishing
> Flukes, Senkos, 3/8 ounce jigs, etc.... on windy
> days where a casting rod would prove more
> difficult in the wind. The SB724 is my favorite
> spinning rod of all. It is great for tubes, drop
> shot, neko rigs, just about any bass fishing
> technique that involves a spinning rod.

leonard
thx. great info. so im guessing thats the weight difference comes in where the backbone extends farther up the blank on the MB. strange they show so identical on the deflection charts.

from the numbers i have found (rda) the SB684 falls right in there with something like a SC 3/4/5S66MF.
i was looking at it for a tube rod using 1/8-3/16oz. insert heads and 3-4" tubes every now and again id go to 1/4oz. but also have other rods for that.

as dean mentioned id also be interested in hearing if the SB724 and SB684 are different powered blanks...
thx
Matt

Date: October 15, 2022 03:23PM

The SB684 is what I like for a little shorter tube rod for skipping under docks with 1/8 to 1/4 ounce weight. For fishing open or deep water, I like the longer SB724. The power rating on both are similar but the longer rod has back bone farther up the rod. Both blanks are good for any tube and ned rig type baits in the 1/8 to even 3/8 ounce range.

Date: October 15, 2022 04:39PM

thx leonard very helpful info

Date: October 16, 2022 07:39AM

For those interested in the MB704 as a spinning rod, the following YouTube link is from a fishing trip I took last week that you can see the rod in action. I was fishing in about 14' of water for schooled-up largemouth on the deep weed line. Most fish were in the 3 to 5 pound class (18 to 20 inchers). I was casting a 3/8 ounce Jig. The reel was a Diawa Tatula 2500. The line was 20 pound braid with a 15' 20 pound fluorocarbon leader. Normally I use a casting rod for this type fishing but on this trip it was very windy at times so I used this spinning rod I built for these conditions.

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2022 07:40AM by Leonard Bourdage.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 16, 2022 08:00AM

When I look at the two blanks loaded to the same load on the comparator their charts are one on top of the other indicating that they are the same. But the experience of above posters states otherwise. What am I missing? thanks

Date: October 16, 2022 09:04AM

Northfork recommends using their Catalog Specs for choosing a blank. They list their recommended line, lure weight, and techniques for each blank. They are usually very good recommendations.

Date: October 16, 2022 10:13AM

Michael Danek Wrote:
> When I look at the two blanks loaded to the same
> load on the comparator their charts are one on
> top of the other indicating that they are the
> same. But the experience of above posters states
> otherwise. What am I missing? thanks

thats exactly what was throwing me off. the rodhouse deflection chart shows identical but with the weight difference and identical butt and tip dim. it didnt make sense. from leonards posts i think the SB684 is the blank i need

thx

Date: October 16, 2022 11:04AM

great video. can really see how that blank flexing under load.

also interesting ya mention the 704 being a carbon copy of the mb843. NFC lists the MB705/735 as the classic mb843. i have read theres isnt much difference between the MB 704 and 705 tho.

edit to add...your not the first person to mention the NFC catalog as the go to. sounds like they did a much better job than there website. ill have to pick it up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2022 01:05PM by Matt Ruggie.

Date: October 16, 2022 12:04PM

Yet another reason to know the CCS numbers rather than subjective descriptions and deflection charts.

Date: October 16, 2022 08:42PM

Michael Danek Wrote:
> Yet another reason to know the CCS numbers rather
> than subjective descriptions and deflection
> charts.

Absolutely, i just dont get why most blank manufacturers wont jump on board. Was hoping that once Point blank did others would follow.

I ordered the SB684 along with the SJ703. sounds like these 2 blanks will build very nice finesse blanks. looking forward to my first couple builds on NFC blanks.

Date: October 17, 2022 08:58AM

One of the reasons why Point Blank is my go to premium blank source. I know what I am getting.

Date: November 07, 2022 06:28PM

just figured id update and say thx.....

Blanks arrived today which fell right in to NFC'S 2-3
week window they quoted. packed very well too! for awhile i was hesitant cause of all the chatter here and on other boards about long lead times and poor packing. thx to all that replied and gave positive feedback ....Glad i pulled the trigger on these very nice blanks at a great price.

Blanks are straight and very much what i expected. Although the sticker for the SJ703 is gonna bug me with a stated lure range of 1/4-3/4oz. LOL.

Im gonna have to play around with the SJ703 some. i want it to finish off at around 6'10 and will have to take some measurements with just a hair off the tip
by taping or wrapping a guide in increments. Most will be trimmed from the butt tho.

the SB684 looks good as is, and flexing it next to a couple rods i already built, it should be a good fit for what i want to do with it. Thx leonard!!

thx
Matt

Posted by: El Bolinger (50.233.0.---)
Date: November 16, 2022 11:26AM

Leonard Bourdage Wrote:
> For those interested in the MB704 as a spinning
> rod, the following YouTube link is from a fishing
> trip I took last week that you can see the rod in
> action. I was fishing in about 14' of water for
> schooled-up largemouth on the deep weed line. Most
> fish were in the 3 to 5 pound class (18 to 20
> inchers). I was casting a 3/8 ounce Jig. The reel
> was a Diawa Tatula 2500. The line was 20 pound
> braid with a 15' 20 pound fluorocarbon leader.
> Normally I use a casting rod for this type fishing
> but on this trip it was very windy at times so I
> used this spinning rod I built for these
> conditions.
>
> [youtu.be]

Thanks for sharing the action footage. I was really trying to watch how the rod loaded - it looks like it loaded into a moderate fast bend with a fish on, but at times looked like it stopped more at a "typical" fast action. Being called a classic Loomis MB does it have that same multi taper feel that Loomis says they have? I've never fished one, but the concept of something like a multi taper sounds like a brilliant and practical and useful design - if its true.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster