I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

4 thread carriage
Posted by: Wallace coulter (---)
Date: October 09, 2022 07:38PM

So I ordered an Alps wrapper from Voodoo it should be here soon. Shout out to them. Great people there.
I will soon be looking for 4 thread carriage and have a question. Will a crb tc-4 work on an alps wrapper?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 4 thread carriage
Date: October 10, 2022 12:39PM

I figured it out. Thanks!
Yes it will!

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-198-50-155.net)
Date: October 11, 2022 05:28PM

Look at the track or bed or whatever you want to call it. If they are the same then the same carriage should work. If the track is different then it probably will not.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---.atlagax1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: October 15, 2022 09:03PM

Get a hold of Al Engling and check out his Rail Wrapper carriage - great product. Not sure if he’s on here often but you can find him in Facebook

Posted by: Wallace coulter (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 16, 2022 10:13PM

Yep I found him and checked . He told me he was currently out of stock and that was almost a month ago. He said he would contact when in so.. Fingers crossed. I have seen his and they are very nice and I would love to have one. I would like to do a tiger wrap on my next build however that’s a few months out. I have time I was just checking my options because I don’t care for the alps carriage

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: October 17, 2022 11:51AM

I agree that the ALPS carriage is the weakest link on the whole setup. I started my rodbuilding on the MH dual carriage and really like the tension management on it since it is visual. The smooth bearing system is a nice feel too.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 17, 2022 12:26PM

Wallace,
You indicate that you will soon be looking for a 4 thread carriage.

Why?

Take care

Posted by: Wallace coulter (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 17, 2022 05:41PM

I would like to do a tiger wrap in the near future.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---.atlagax1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: October 18, 2022 08:13PM

When doing tiger wraps I just hold the threads between my fingers

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 18, 2022 08:23PM

Like Michael, I do decorative wraps by hand. Threads cut to length and held between the fingers.

Date: October 19, 2022 12:48PM

I’m a noob so take what I say with that in mind. :-) I’m ok with one thread in hand but multiple I don’t know.
I guess I’ll give it a try. Never really considered the idea. Thanks ! Any rips or tricks for doing it by hand?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 19, 2022 01:27PM

Cut them to length, spread the threads out across your index finger, thumb on top and wrap. The tag ends need to be free so they can turn and untwist as you wrap. You may occasionally have to use your other hand to facilitate keeping tag ends free from tangles. This isn't hard to do and even most people with power wrappers tend to wrap their decorative wraps by hand.

Date: October 19, 2022 06:40PM

Cool ! Thanks I’ll give it a go.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster