I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guides, what's best?
Posted by: Tore Nilsen (---.ti.telenor.net)
Date: December 03, 2001 08:19PM

I'm building a 590-4 XP and I want the best of everything for this rod. What's the practical difference between the hard-chrome, titanium, etc. ?And what about SIC gunsmoke? Simply; what are the lightest and most endurable guides on the market?

:o)
Tore

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guides, what's best?
Posted by: Chuck B. (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 03, 2001 08:47PM

The Fuji Titanium Cermet hands down. Hope you are wealthy though as they will cost you about $150 to $200 per set!! Probably a bit less if you can buy wholesale. Still want the best of everything?

Next up is the stainless framed Cermet and then the titanium framed SIC and then after that the stainless framed SIC.

After those you got the Alconites and then everything else lumped into a pile. How much practical difference is there between all these I really don't know. None of the ceramic guides will ever wear out unless you step on them or beat them around quite a bit. Worth the money? They are to me and some others but they are not for everyone.

Re: Guides, what's best?
Date: December 03, 2001 09:21PM

Thanks Chuck,
but I'm primarily looking for snake guides. I'm a bit consevative on the cosmetic side. What's the same rating on snake guides?

Tore

Suggestion
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: December 03, 2001 09:22PM

Mike,
A good alternative to try is TiGold or TiCN ring guides. Made of titanium carbide plated frames with either titanium nitride or titanium carbide plated over zircon rings. These are light, attractive, and with hard rings almost like SiC. Functional and well priced.

These guides are very popular with custom rodbuilders and are durable. I've been using them almost exclusively and think they are the best for the money and looks.

As Chuck points out, if money is less the object go for ceremet. For darker might go with the next best Titanium framed/SiC ring. TiGold with lite ticarb plated frame, an extemely nice consideration for your quality custom rod and proud to show.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel
Solyrich Custom Rods

Re: Suggestion
Posted by: Jojo D (---.dial-up.ipa.net)
Date: December 03, 2001 11:22PM

If you are only interested in snake guides -- Snake Brand

There's a link to the left, and I know Golden Witch carries them.

Re: Suggestion snake guides
Posted by: Roert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 04, 2001 12:56AM

You might go to haroly fly single foot fly guide I would recomend this to a beginner or any one over a snake guide you can cast much with this style of guide,(BLG by Fujie.) Haroly well do you just fine. How experienced of a fly fisherman are you.and where are you from?
Bob

All fuji SIC gudie not the same..
Posted by: Dorge (---.il.sprintbbd.net)
Date: December 04, 2001 02:49PM

I have put Fuji Titanium Frame Cermet guide, Titanium Frame SIC, and Stainless Frame SIC on fly rods. What I discover that the NEW concept titanium SIC frame get better performance that most. The
cermet Ti frame is light no doubt that the only frame style you can get in the state is the TiGG which has a tall frame. This IMHO is not the greatest for fly rod, especially the slower action ones (e.g. Scott
Arch, but is OK for the Scott STS). The new concept "J" frame SIC is the most ideal form AFAIK. The guide ring is so close to the blank. It is lighter and the finish is the best so far from Fuji. I have
used it on GUSA, Loomis, St Croix and Scott, all have great result. If cost is an issue, I would recommended only use Ti frame on the single foot ones and go with the stainless on the strippers. If cost no
subject, you may be able to order some titanium gold nitrate frame cermet direct from some vendors in Japan. For the ultimate, MULTI LIFETIME GUIDe the Titanium Gold nitrate Ruby will set you back
US$80 on a 6 size, that is if you can get it!!

Hope this would help you to decide what you need.

Good fishing (catching) <*)))))))><{

Re: All fuji SIC gudie not the same..
Date: December 04, 2001 07:30PM

Thanks for the many good tips, guys!

What a great forum!!

Best,
Tore

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster