I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

There's more to Rod Building tha just Rod building
Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 06, 2022 01:49PM

We are all here because we enjoy rod building. That being said, we probably loveto both fis, and dine on fish. In many parts of the world, fish, and seafood are traditioal holiday meals. If you want to try something different, look around on the Internet and discover the rich holiday meal preperations of othe nations. You just might find something that looks better, and is healthier than normal U.S. holiday meals. Here's just one link: [www.bing.com]

i encourage you to explore new options for your holiday feasts.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: There's more to Rod Building tha just Rod building
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.secreoishaha.com)
Date: October 06, 2022 02:11PM

Bob,
Thank you.
I can always use more Salmon recipies.
Herb

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: October 09, 2022 12:19AM

It took me a while deciding whether or not to respond to the “cuisine” aspect of fish. While all of us rod builders are well aware of the personal preferences involved with crafting a proper rod not to mention the plethora of techniques and terminal tackle, such is also the case with cooking the bounty of our rod building labor. Everyone knows that ANY and EVERY fish tastes better if personally caught, especially if so with personally fabricated equipment!!! But tastes (in more than one respect) differ widely / wildly, hence my hesitation to reply.
There are a multitude of ways to prepare fish for consumption; some simple to exploit and enhance the subtle flavors of (most) fish, and other more extravagant methods to mask or disguise the flavor. In either case, it really boils-down to how much the diners actually like fish in the first place. People’s dislike for fish generally germinated from that wayward bone in their youth, or too mushy / too dry from ill-prepared fish, or simply too strong tasting. All of these examples are justified reasons why one may not like fish and possibly difficult to overcome.
First of all, don’t cook fish for people who do not like fish; you are destined for failure!!! Give ‘em a steak, pork chop, chicken or sausage! For those more acceptive, appreciative or adventurous, keep the seasonings / sauces to a minimum to allow the delicate flavor of the fish to please the palate. Even stronger tasting fish such as bonito, barracuda, yellowtail, even mackerel can benefit from mild seasoning. Soaking strong-tasting fish in milk for a few hours can reduce the strong taste; I have tried it and it works, but rarely have the need.
COOKING; I grill or smoke almost everything (eggs have always been a problem lol). Beef, pork, chicken, lamb, venison, veggies, potatoes, fish = it all goes on the grill or in the smoker! Either way, fish respondes very well to alder wood; other smoking woods produce good results as well, but alder is on the top of my list for fish. I use a minimal amount of seasonings (garlic salt, pepper, possibly some Mrs Dash herbal seasoning). I also really enjoy adding some live rosemary and sage branches into the fire as well. The result is a delicately seasoned fish which enhances the original flavor of the fish. While possibly delicious, fine cuisine sauces simply overpower the subtle flavor of the fish itself.
COOKING - 2; Fish should be grilled HOT AND QUICK! 1/2in filets =2-3 minutes/side. Thicker steaks require additional time. Just remember to not OVERCOOK your fish; you can always put it back on the grill for a few more moments but cannot reverse overcooking it. If nothing else, the moral of the story is to not overcook your fish. Bon appetit!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: October 09, 2022 09:53PM

Yes, there is more to rod-building, It reminds me of many years ago I was interviewing a Christmas tree grower for my Son who was looking for a new supplier of Christmas trees. He said when he started to grow them, he thought all you had to do is plant them and harvest them when they were the correct size. He soon learned that you had to worry about water and soil chemical makeup, insect and fungus control among many things including yearly shaping them and straightening the tip.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster