I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Storing rods in winter
Posted by: David Riesenbeck (---.ipv6.telus.net)
Date: October 04, 2022 05:43PM

Is it safe to store rods at temperatures that can reach -40c. The usual temp is somewhere between -20 c to -30 c. They would be stored in the garage. I am moving in with my girlfriend and we are trying to figure out where to put them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Storing rods in winter
Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: October 04, 2022 06:04PM

I would call -40 C (which is also -40 F) a little harsh on rods and reels.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: October 04, 2022 07:25PM

Do people actually live in that, or do they hibernate like the other animals. LOL By a Californian.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 05, 2022 03:10PM

I live in Central MI and have stored my rods and reels in my unheated pole building for many years. The temp rarely gets lower the - 10 F, but now and then has gone lower to about - 20.

I have never seen any indication that it's a problem on my rods or reels. Of course they are kept dry and covered with a dust cover. I think the biggest risk is dust, not cold at this level.

You would want to have a good way to store them so that the shafts of the rods are free and not forced into any bends.

Having said this, I remember working in a cold room for auto testing and many materials, like rubber ball joint seals and plastics would get brittle at - 40 F. They would survive if not under stress, but fairly low stresses would cause failure. If you really expect - 40 it probably would not be a good way to store equipment. You might get some cracking of plastics, rubber, and similar materials. One material that would likely not survive unaffected would be nylon line (mono) . - 40 would dry the line and make it brittle from loss of moisture.

I think if you stored the reels inside and the rods were properly stored as mentioned above they would not be harmed by - 40. It surely would be good to hear from someone who has acutally stored equipment at - 40..

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: October 05, 2022 07:32PM

I would definitely turn down all the reel drags to a minimum.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 05, 2022 09:16PM

I don't know how many rods are involved or how long the temp is at -40 but;

Think about removing the reels and storing them inside. Individually they don't take up much room they can keep your socks company..

The rods without reels may not take up much room and may be stored in a closet or rafter.

If the rods can't be taken inside bundle them and put them in a cardboard tube or PVC pipe to keep them safe from handling while stored..

Good luck

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: October 06, 2022 12:33AM

David,
As with Phil Erickson, I am admittedly a (So) Cal kind of guy and do not experience the severe cold as you described; people in LALA Land freak-out when the temps PLUMMET into the 30s lol. That being said, there should be no reason for alam for storing rods in -40* environment; actually, it may be better than storing them in a 120* environment. Basically, after the epoxy in the blank and thread wraps have cured, they are stable no matter how low the temps might get; elevated temps may cause softening but we are not discussing that here. Such cold as you described (-40*) would raise caution to avoid sudden impact to, or over-flexing of, the blank (brittle), but that would seem unlikely while in storage. I cannot imagine any long-term negative aspects / results with storing rods in a -40* climate. But, I am here to learn.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 06, 2022 08:34AM

David,
Really, you have a question about cold weather and graphite and fiberglass?

Flag poles used around the world including the arctic and antarctic are made of fiberglass and graphite.

For many years, I have made ice fishing rods that I have shipped to Canadian fishermen, who routinely fish out of doors at temps of -40F in the open with no shelters.

I have never had a rod returned due to a temperature related issue.

For the scientific inclined minds reading this; here is a white paper that describes the theory and procedures as mechanical properties of composites are investigated at extremely cold temperatures:

[core.ac.uk]

Read it, understand it, and reach your own conclusions.

Best wishes

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: October 06, 2022 09:52AM

In general...freezing weather wont hurt a rod and reel..
But there are other components that COULD be effected.
Take masking tape for example. A temp like -40 would turn the tapes taky flexible into a glass like solid.
I use to use dry ice to freeze a reel seat and break it loose. Now dry ice is a lot colder than -40C..but you get the point.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 06, 2022 01:01PM

I imagine we have a lot of airplanes and helicopters with graphite components not only setting but flying in those temps.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 06, 2022 06:43PM

I think as long as the equipment will not be stressed when at - 40, all will be OK exc nylon line which will dry and become stiff/brittle. And will not fully recover.

But remember my cold room experience with stressed auto parts. Most likely vulnerable would be the reels' plastic/rubber parts. And they can easily be kept inside.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster