I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy winding check
Posted by: Brandon fennimore (---)
Date: October 04, 2022 09:44AM

So I’m working on a casting rod and I can’t find winding checks in the color I want, is it possible to just add pigment to some epoxy and make a winding check? And if so how would I go about making it clean

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy winding check
Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 04, 2022 12:47PM

One of the listed sponsors, VoDoo Rods, sells pigments for mixing with epoxy, and for marbling effects. I currently use three of the pigments. They are east to mix, and don't appear to have affected epoxy strength. To make an epoxy winding check, I would mix a small amount od epoxy, add the color pigment, and apply a circle of epoxy against just the blank, and grip, in the desired diameter. i would let it dry on the rod dryer for an hour. Then, add another layer of colored epoxy, this time a little smaller, working away from the grip. Repeat until your winding check is the size, and shape desired. American Tackle and Alps both have good selections of winding checks, in many colors.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Posted by: Josh Hutchison (---)
Date: October 04, 2022 03:41PM

I have done this several times and it turns out nice. Mix the pigment of your choice with some thread epoxy and mix well. You can either freehand the epoxy onto the turning rod and make a “cone”. The easiest way I have found is to use a rubber or vinyl winding check then apply your tinted epoxy on top of it. If you use black pigment it hides the rubber winding check but the winding check helps it to achieve a nice cone shape. Good luck.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: October 04, 2022 05:26PM

What I do to make a epoxy winding check or ramp, is to use Rod Bond paste epoxy. Add the coloring agent as you mix the epoxy, then apply to the rod. Using the paste allows you to shape it without "running" concerns you will have with thread epoxy. Shaping with a alcohol wet finger works well..

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 04, 2022 06:55PM

There is an article on this in the RodMaker issue that just mailed.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: October 04, 2022 07:21PM

I’m with Phil. I use a paste epoxy, like rod bond, mix in a small amount of pigment and apply to where you want it. The paste epoxy will stay where you put it, and is easy to shape especially when it is partially cured. You can easily smooth it out with a nitrile gloved finger wetted with some DNA.
Norm

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 05, 2022 08:05AM

I agree that Joh Hutchinson's method is the most reliable way to get uniform, nicely shaped, colored winding checks. When liquid wrap epoxy, even lite build, is used to generously cover a rubber/vinyl winding check a nicely curved filet is formed. And it's easy to have each one done have the same size and shape.

A smart strategy would be to try a number of methods on scrap materials and determine which is preferred.

Posted by: Joseph Willsen (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 05, 2022 11:04AM

I have has great success starting with a base of paste epoxy and then finishing off with thread epoxy....pigmented or not.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: October 05, 2022 11:40AM

I too have used paste epoxy with pigment for trim before. Here is how it looks.

Before: [www.rodbuilding.org]

After: [www.rodbuilding.org]

I used Testor's pigment.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 06, 2022 11:22PM

While I was in the Coast Guard on an ice breaker built in 1941, we lost the only ice machine, near the equator, the drive gear had stripped a few teeth. We laid out some modeling clay and imbedded the gear in it, carefully removed the gear, rotated it a few teeth and imbedded it carefully again. We than mixed some Marine-Tex epoxy with brass powder included and poured it into the clay mold and allowed it to set, after a bit of minor cleanup of the finished gear, with new teeth, was put back in service and it worked for about 3+ months till we got back to Seattle to replace the gear.
I see no reason why you couldn't form simple winding checks the same way with epoxy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2022 07:12PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Brandon fennimore (---)
Date: October 07, 2022 12:31PM

Thanks everyone I got some playing around to do!!

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: October 07, 2022 04:17PM

Thats some real McGeyver stuff. Love it.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 07, 2022 04:24PM

If you are a RodMaker subscriber, the issue you'll get in a few days will have an article from Nuno Paulino on this type of thing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster