I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NFC 721-1 or 761-1 ?
Posted by: Martijn Ferio (---.colocenter.nl)
Date: October 04, 2022 08:51AM

Hi everyone,

Currently looking to build a custom rod and I have narrowed down the choice to NFC DS 721-1 X-Ray and Ds 761-1 HM.

Lures I throw are hardbaits up to 2/8oz and carolina rig up to 3/8oz.

Leaning towards 721-1 due all the positive reviews on this blank.

Will it be possible to throw these kind of weights with the blanks? Some say yes, others say not really.. kinda confused here.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC 721-1 or 761-1 ?
Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.source.akaquill.net)
Date: October 04, 2022 04:05PM

I think those rods will be under powered for those lure weights. Using a 1/4 dropshot is different than having that resistance from a moving lure or pulling a Carolina weight.

Posted by: Scott Appley (---.ccgov.net)
Date: October 04, 2022 04:58PM

I would agree with Dean's observation. I would think a 3 power blank would fish the weight better.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 04, 2022 06:01PM

I too agree with Dean. I don't have experience with either blank, but just going off their specs, neither will fish a Carolina rig well at all. You're usually making long casts with a Carolina rig, or at least 40 - 50' casts, and you're going to need to move line on the hook set with a Carolina rig. and those two rods just won't do it well enough. Like Scott said, at least a 3 power for a light Carolina rig. And my personal preference would be a 4 power.

Probably make good drop shot rods if you're fishing near vertical close to the boat, but probably not the best choice if you are making longer casts and dragging a drop shot. They don't appear to have a whole lot of power. It would be interesting to see CCS numbers if one of the members happen to have them for either blank.

Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: October 04, 2022 06:52PM

I've built on the 721 xray and agree that it is way too light for anything I would consider a carolina rig. It works for light drop shots, but for me at least it is right on the line between a useful bass rod and a rod for panfish. Guess we didn't ask what you are fishing for, if I am way off base let me know.

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.reverse-dns.chicago)
Date: October 04, 2022 10:59PM

For me, the DS 721 X-ray and for up to 1/4 oz drop shot weights with nose hooked baits.

The SJ 732 is a finesse spinning rod. Thing typical bass finesse of open hook jigs, 1/8 oz plus soft plastic bait, give or take a little on weight of jig.

The MB733 is a finesse skirted bass swim jig in sparse over, keitech 3.8” rigged on open head or weedless hook. That kind of thing.

The Sj 736 is more typical weedless bass jig rod, 3/8, 1/2, etc. A good all purpose MH bass rod.

I think I would lean towards the MB733 for your applications, but I am FAR from an expert on these matters. Other guys here I respect put the MB733 as underpowered for what I use it for.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2022 09:02PM by Dean Veltman.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 05, 2022 04:01PM

Again I agree with Dean on his synopsis of the SJ 736. They list it as heavy power but IMO it sure doesn't fish like one. Him calling it a medium heavy is spot on. He is also right about it being an all purpose rod. It's an awesome blank that does a lot of things extremely well. As far as a Carolina rig goes, I most fish a Carolina rig over gravel flats or chunky rock bottoms for smallmouth bass. Because I fish them in some chunky rock I normally use a 3/8 oz walking sinker as my weight. I'll occasionally go to a 1/2 oz if I am fishing deeper than 20 ft. But that's really out of the norm for where I fish the rig.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-198-50-155.net)
Date: October 11, 2022 05:26PM

2-power for the minimum. A 3-power would not be too much. A 1-power is probably going to disappoint you for your purposes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster