I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Modifying a blank, need advice
Posted by: Steven Stanely (---.cpe.sparklight.net)
Date: October 01, 2022 01:46PM

I haven’t been able to find a blank that fits what a customers wants me to build that matches a factory rod that has now been discontinued by the manufacturer.
I need a blank with “xxheavy power and virtually no flex” to fish up to 3 oz jigs tipped with natural bait for red snapper, using 30 lb mono with a #40 mono leader. So he basically wants a graphite “broom stick”, I get it. However I don’t want to purchase several different blanks and the have to return all but one.
I know that I’ll be totally screwing up the action of the blank, but could I take several inches off the tip and a few off the butt of the blank and it still be somewhat fishable? I’m wanting to cut just enough off the top of a suitable blank to get to approximately a # 9 tip. Shooting for a finished blank no longer than 7’

I’m also looking at the following blanks: all of them would require some trimming either from the tip, butt, or both.

Northfork Composites
MUH896 IM-LMX

Rod Geeks

C276XHF
B4711XHF
MKY72XHF

BUSHIDO

76"
MUSKY.
PIKE 30-60
LB. 2-60Z

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2022 03:06PM by Steven Stanely.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Modifying a blank, need advice
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 01, 2022 02:08PM

Why not just buy a blank the right length? United Composites DHX graphite blank UC 70 Monster. I wouldn't call a broomstick X Fast, it would be much closer to a moderate rod. X Fast would have a soft tip.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2022 02:24PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Steven Stanely (---.cpe.sparklight.net)
Date: October 01, 2022 03:05PM

Thanks so much for your reply, you are correct, I am needing a blank with “very little flex”. I updated my original post to better clarify what I’m looking for. I also appreciate your suggestion of looking at United Composites for the blank I need.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: October 02, 2022 08:17AM

In rodgeeks I'd look at the X-comp series.

Lamiglas GCBT is a proven choice.

Seeker and Calstar have models that will do fine. The Hercules was made for NE party boat fishing.

Musky blanks are very light and sensitive but won't handle boat flipping or high sticking. Personally I'd go with a composite blank for durability reasons.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster