I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Weird guide system
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 16, 2022 01:46AM

I wonder:

I wonder that if the line spool to the guides were increased - would the same result be noted.

i.e. Rather than have the first guide at 15 inches, move it out to 20 inches. Then, instead of having the 2nd guide 8 inches in front of the first guide, move it out to 15 inches and then conventional spacing from then on?

My guess is that with the guides being further away from the spinning reel, that more of the line coils will be reduced in diameter by the time that they get to each guide and thus any distance reduction be reduced.

I wonder.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 16, 2022 01:49AM

Note:
For virtually all of my spinning rods that I build, my first guide will be a tall match guide of a size 20 or 25 -- rather than a more conventional SV guide.

I find that the tall match guide eliminates all line slap that I will sometimes get using an SV guide for the first guide.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 16, 2022 09:01AM

Placement of the butt guide isn't really the issue here. While that does make a difference, this particular lay-out isn't about spacing. It just makes most guide systems cast further, for whatever reason.

Posted by: Chris Rosell (---)
Date: March 04, 2024 05:03AM

Interesting no doubt I will order the Magazine, or a subscription. I am building a 9ft 8 in Steelhead rod right not and have been playing with the placement of Reduction Train and taking some slow motion video yet it is difficult at best the get a good video of the line one handed.

I was trying to follow another thread about the KR concept with KL H guides and got confused about all the misplaced terminology so I just clicked the reference to this thread and have become ENLIGHTENED!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster