I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Your opinion on this
Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 22, 2022 08:48PM

Cutting through all the hype.

If I fished 1 or 2 times a month I would be satisfied with any $29.00 reel.

Since I fish 3 or 4 times a week I find the Shimano Stradic works best for me..

Michael Danek.
I went to replace my old Shimano reels I was upset when I found out the anti reverse lever was eliminated, But I still bought the Shimano because of their past performance, Surprising enough I have not missed that feature and am fine without it. But I agree with you it can be a deal breaker.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: November 22, 2022 08:49PM

For baitcasting i like the daiwas....The tatulas are a great value and i dont see a need to go any higher in the line up. Tatulas come in a wide variety of models too. Still fish my old TDZ'S , original Fuegos. I have a couple JDM Daiwa pixy's for finesse. JDM Better? Cool factor? i wouldnt say that....When i got them Daiwa USDM didnt offer anything like those pixys and presso for finesse casting stuff. IDK anything about shimano JDM . But JDM is cheaper now with the exchange rate , which wasnt always the case.

Spinning, I settled on that $80 -$100 range mostly. Tried higher end and for me I dont really get much better performance or longevity so why spend more. Been buying pflugers last few times. I do have one of the original stradic 3000 ci4 that i bought on clearance when they redesigned. Its a very good reel thats lasted longer than most of my other spinning reels.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2022 08:51PM by Matt Ruggie.

Posted by: Mark B. Gonsalves (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 23, 2022 05:40PM

Very informative and true comments Kent.

For spinning reels for saltwater use I have been and still am a Shimano fan. Even the freshwater Stella series have performed pretty flawlessly in the saltwater environment for however long they've been around. The "best bang for the buck" in my opinion is the Vanford/Stradic for the smaller reels. I don't have any other larger reels, 5000 size and up, except Stellas so I can't compare to lower end reels. I did use Daiwa Saltigas in addition to Stellas at one time but while the Daiwa felt mechanically sturdier than the Shimano they ease of cranking, drag, AND ease of obtaining service made Shimano the Champion.

I am concerned now since Shimano has stopped giving priority to servicing their Stella line over other reels. What was once 10 days turnaround time now is possibly 3-6 weeks.

Posted by: Patrick Noll (---)
Date: November 23, 2022 08:44PM

I used the Shimano curado E’s for years, switched to lew’s tournament pros 7.5 for my all purpose reels, lew’s bb1 pro 6.2 for my moving baits/cranks, lew’s custom pro 8.3 for high end rods and bottom contact and lew’s super duty for my heavy applications (thick frogging, lures over an ounce, etc). Really enjoy them and they’re nice and small so easy to palm. Lew’s go on good sales. I’ve used almost all brands and grade levels. Lew’s are solid in their mid grade reels.

Posted by: Ed Rose (---)
Date: November 24, 2022 09:08AM

Thanks for all the info supplied in this thread. Great to hear from techs who actually work on these things. I was debating the Shimano - Daiwa decision on a new spin reel and this thread helped me decide. BTW the new shimano Sahara does have an anti-reverse lever - just got one., the first new spinning reel in about 30 yrs - quite smooth actually.

I am mainly a fly fisherman with a few spinning reels and 2 casting reels.
Fly reels (freshwater) - old Orvis, Lamson, Ross, and old Pfluger Medalists.
Spinning reels - all old (80s and 90s) Shimano and Abu-Garcia., sorry, I don't know specific models.
Baitcasting reels - old round Abu reels without magnetic brakes, just drag and spool tension knobs.

I use low and mid level spinning gear because I'm not serious about warm water fishing, don't have a boat, just a canoe, and make occasional trips to the river or lake and the gear I have does just fine for catching a few bass. I plan to do more river wading small mouth fishing next year and have built a new NFC SB 722 rod with KL-H guides for that. First impressions of the rod are that it is very light but won't do anything more than the old rods I have for what I am going to fish ( many new rods seem to be very stiff with no flex or feel). The Sahara reel will be a great fit for that rod.

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---)
Date: November 24, 2022 11:02AM

I jumped into the JDM reels this year for the first time due to exchange rate. Scorpion DC for $210 vs $260 for a curado DC but scorpion has the higher end DC module with more adjustments), zillion sv tw g for $250 instead of $350, a 22 zillion HD for $270 vs what will be well over that in the USA when released, aldebaran mgl $244 vs $430 here.

So, the cost savings can be significant right now.

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: November 24, 2022 06:08PM

I have had good luch with most of them, if cared for. The Shimano SW Spheros is a lot of reel for the money. For smaller baits, I like the Diawa baitcasters. The Zillion is unbelievable. With bigger baits, Curado and Tranx have served me well. Even an odd Komodo SS before moving to bigger Penns. Had the worst luck with Lews bearings until upgraded

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: November 24, 2022 07:49PM

Dean Veltman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I jumped into the JDM reels this year for the
> first time due to exchange rate. Scorpion DC for
> $210 vs $260 for a curado DC but scorpion has the
> higher end DC module with more adjustments),
> zillion sv tw g for $250 instead of $350, a 22
> zillion HD for $270 vs what will be well over that
> in the USA when released, aldebaran mgl $244 vs
> $430 here.
>
> So, the cost savings can be significant right now.

Dean
IMO its a no brainer with the exchange rates right now. You pretty much have a another high end reels worth in savings when buying multiple reels.

I get the whole service end of things but , Ive never needed to send any reel in for service USDM or JDM. When i needed parts, there were a few go to shops online out of japan that had parts or could get them. For those that didnt work on their own reels there are guys from some of the tackle junkie forums that were pretty good reel techs and had zero problems working on the JDM stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2022 07:49PM by Matt Ruggie.

Posted by: Rob Carey (---)
Date: November 25, 2022 07:56AM

Die hard Daiwa guy here.

There is no substitute for a high quality reel. A poor quality reel can really ruin a day on the water.

I think spinning reels are more finicky when it comes to line management. A poor quality spinning reel can result in line twist and a day of tangles.

Baitcasters have come a long way and many of the high end features from Daiwa and Shimano have trickle down into there $200 reels.

For a baitcaster, there really is diminishing returns.

That said, $200 gets you a Tatula SV or a Curado. Both well made and will last several seasons.

I am a fan of the original Daiwa SV103. A discontinued reel I have 8 of. With yearly service, they are all still going strong. People always tell me how smooth they feel 7 years later.

I guarantee the $100 reel is a coffee grinder after 3 years.

Posted by: Daniel Grundvig (---)
Date: November 25, 2022 10:32AM

These are my favorite reels;

1. Surf spinning- Shimano Ultegra 5500
2. Surf casting- Seigler SM
3. General bottom fishing/jigging/slow pitch- Daiwa Saltiga star drag
4. Light chum/chunk/live bait- Penn Fathom 25NLD2
5. Heavy trolling- Penn International V 30VSX
6. Light trolling, chum/chunk for tuna to 100#- Shimano Tiagra Ti16 If I had to pick a favorite, this is it- smooth operation/drag and has been bullet proof for me.

As Kent mentioned, every new reel I buy, I open them up and apply a coat of silicon grease to the inside surface of the side plates, etc. and apply a synthetic to all the fiddly little parts, and grease up the gears.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster