I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Handle Heat Shrink
Posted by: Daryl Norvell (---.compute-1.amazonaws.com)
Date: September 22, 2022 11:17PM

I was wondering if anyone has used the heat shrink handle tubing you can find on @#$%& ?

I found an old rod at a pawn shop and the fake cork handle is peeling.
It's like cork particle board covered with a fake cork-look vinyl or rubber film.
I had seen the rod handle heat shrink covering on @#$%& and wondered about how it stands up to sweat, sunlight, ozone etc.
I was going to post a pic of the heat shrink in question, but i don't see an option to insert a picture.
It's the heat shrink coming out of China. One model has a cross hatching pattern and another model has a fish scale pattern.

Experiences anyone ??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Handle Heat Shrink
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 23, 2022 12:57AM

Wouldn't it be safer to just use the tubing from the sponsors to the left? We know that works well.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 23, 2022 07:03AM

Spencer is correct. Go with the tried and true products.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 23, 2022 08:32AM

I have use the shrink tubing from Mudhole. I used it on a rod that had EVA grips that got hard and crusty. It turned out very well but it looks jury rigged, far from a factory look, but it feels good and serviceable and I am satisfied with it.

A word of caution the shrink tube takes the shape of the form it is applied to, if there are divots or gouges or worn down areas in the grip the shrink tube will conform to these contours. The application will turn out to be serviceable but somewhat of an eyesore. To make it look good the original grip shape has be restored

Trimming the ends can be a chore, I used a can "freeze" spray on the ends to get the tubing hard and makes it easier to cut with a X-acto or razor blade.

One benefit is that over time if it gets worn or unusable it can be cut off and can be replaced.

The advise from Spencer and Tom will offer a better alternative.

Have fun

Posted by: Michael Ward (---.sip.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 23, 2022 10:38AM

I’ve used the x-flock heat shrink tubing from the big online stores on multiple occasions to refurb some older personal rods and have used some on new builds.

Posted by: Fred Zimmermann (---.raintreegraphics.com)
Date: September 23, 2022 01:51PM

I have used the regular shrink tube from different online stores and it may not be quite as grippy as the flocked stuff, but it is much less expensive, and you can find some that is made in USA. I put a layer of fiberglass tape under mine and it really looks good and the grip is fine. I like to support the ones on the left and I do, at least 95% of what I spend goes to them but they should really offer the flocked tubing in bulk rolls and no one does. If you do the math, it is five or six times more expensive. I'd much rather buy 50 or 100ft rolls but they won't offer it. Kinda like grocery shopping. Every store has good prices on a lot of things, but not all and you have to pay attention.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2022 01:53PM by Fred Zimmermann.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: September 23, 2022 03:29PM

Daryl,
I agree with those above; stick with the known shrink tubing from the sponsors to the left. Otherwise, “let the buyer beware”, “things which seem too good to be true, usually are” and “pay me now or pay me later”.
I use X Flocked Heat Shrink Tubing, usually over cork tape, for most of my saltwater grips simply because it is easy to install, tough, grippy, comfortable, easy to clean and can easily be replaced (although I have never had to replace one). I don’t think it is actually flocked but rather the material itself is textured, which is probably better.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: September 23, 2022 11:08PM

Wow !
I've been busy all day. I didn't expect to get this many replies. I've already ordered some of the scale pattern tubing in blue and cross hashed tubing in green. The pictures of the cross hashed tubing on ((that marketplace facilitator website that starts with a E - LOL)) looks suspiciously like the X Flocked tubing. Often places will acquire stuff from China and put their own brand on it.... midwestoutfittersRodSocks are an example. You can get "basically" the same rod socks on (edited out by RBO) for cheaper.

The rod is a QuantumTorsion 6' 6" casting rod with a nice green IM6 graphite blank. MH action. I "picked" all of the peeling fake cork film off with a thumbnail.
OUCH, my thumb is sore ! {:o ) __ I have both grips looking good ! There's a few gaps and divots to fill.

I also purchased some green 25mm width silicone self fusing tape. I'm thinking of trying the self fusing tape first, with a band of the cross hashed heat shrink on each end of the wrap.

It would be easy to remove if it doesn't work out. That is if it doesn't turn to gooey slime !! {:o )

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2022 04:17PM by Daryl Norvell.

Date: October 01, 2022 04:48PM

Hopefully one of you guys is following this thread.
i received the fish scale heat shrink and it looks good.
I just wish it was available in green !

I thought of how heat shrink usually shrinks lengthwise as well.

Does this stuff shrink minimally or quite a bit ?
Also, what would be best to fill divots and gaps in a "piece formed" cork handle material? Silicone caulk? Latex caulk?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 01, 2022 04:57PM

It won't shrink much lengthwise. Very, very little in fact. Most of the reduction is in the circumference.

Date: October 01, 2022 05:19PM

Thanks Tom !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2022 06:48PM by Daryl Norvell.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster