I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Straight Blank Question
Posted by: Ronald Atchley (96.125.236.---)
Date: September 22, 2022 08:23AM

I was wondering why even the high end rod blanks generally have a wave/curve/bend toward the tip . Please don't get me wrong , I'm a rank novice and in no way am I complaining - just want to understand . I would think the mandrel would be made completely straight but can't understand why the blank that comes off it would be curved ? I guess it's not a functional problem but I'm just curious . Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Straight Blank Question
Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 22, 2022 09:23AM

IMO;
The very process of fabrication prevents the blanks from being uniform. Resin impregnated fabric is rolled over a mandrel wrapped with tape and heat cured. Looking at a cross section, the “rolling” of the fabric results in multiple layers of fabric which may not lay concentric. The fact that the fabric is spiral wrapped there will be a non-homogeneous cross section. The cross section varies depending where the edge of the fabric starts and ends. The resin thickness between layers can vary. Somewhere along the cross section there can be one less layer than its opposite side. That probably contributes to defining the spine. Sample a dozen blanks of the same model, some are straight some are curved others are spiraled. Tighter control of the manufacturing process and inspection will insure the blanks will be more uniform but it would be too labor intensive to be practical and cost effective for mass production.

Ronald no need to qualify your question, remember...

One who asks a question is a dummy for a few minutes, one who does not ask a question is a dummy forever.

Have fun

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 22, 2022 09:36AM

Mandrels are often only a few human hairs in diameter at the tip - they are rarely dead-on straight, particularly after they have seen some use. The curing process also tends to draw the blank into a less than perfectly straight alignment.

However, the natural curve of most rod blanks can be used to advantage. Here is some information for you to consider: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (185.202.220.---)
Date: September 22, 2022 10:35AM

CTS Blanks are STRAIGHT!! :))
Herb

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: September 22, 2022 11:07AM

I recall an interview with Gary Loomis in which he recounted a story of how some people would return blanks that had a bit of curve at the tip. Gary assured them it was not a defect but a 'natural' aspect of blank making.
Gary went on to share that there was another builder who wanted to buy ALL of his blanks with a curved tip.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 22, 2022 11:37AM

Leslie Cline Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I recall an interview with Gary Loomis in which he
> recounted a story of how some people would return
> blanks that had a bit of curve at the tip. Gary
> assured them it was not a defect but a 'natural'
> aspect of blank making.
> Gary went on to share that there was another
> builder who wanted to buy ALL of his blanks with a
> curved tip.

If you start with a perfectly straight rod blank, it will not be straight once you add guides to it. That's why many, including myself, prefer a slight natural curve along the length of a blank.

Date: September 22, 2022 02:36PM

Thanks to all for the replies and information . Much appreciated .

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 22, 2022 06:03PM

I have to admit, I like the straightest blank. I also have to admit to considering the spine when I build. But when forced to choose between spine and straight, I will build so that I don't see the curve. And they all fish just fine.

Date: September 22, 2022 06:27PM

Michael Danek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
And they all fish just fine.

After all is said and done , I guess this is what it's all about .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster