I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Another Pac Bay RW-3L issue
Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---)
Date: September 20, 2022 06:35PM

While we are on the subject of the Pac Bay RW-3L this is not a problem so much as an idea I had while wrapping my latest 7'2" build. As any of us know that own the Pac Bay RW-3L It is touted as a having a 8 ft aluminum base. What it doesn't say is that after you put chuck on it that significantly changes. As in my case I have an ALPS heavy duty three jaw chuck. Once you put a seven foot rod on it with a butt cap you can hardly wrap the last guide

Now the craze is 7'2" and 7'3" which changes the rules dramatically . Pac Bay sells a 32inch extension which is way overkill and expensive , I have asked at the ICRBE why not a 12 in or a 14 inch extension. My question fell on deaf ear for way to many years. Yes I could pay a machine shop to cut it but WHY?

Here is something i have done on the 7'2's . The rod base is offset on the mounting frame almost an inch. So on my last guide I merely turn it around backwards and gain about an inch which is quite doable.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

The other alternative is turning the rod around on the lathe and wrapping the tip guides back in the base section

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another Pac Bay RW-3L issue
Posted by: Steve Hatch (---)
Date: September 21, 2022 12:52PM

I moved my Alps chuck back to the edge of the base and added an aluminum bracket extension to the end of the base to hold the motor base. Simple and cheap update. I used aluminum angle from Lowes to make the extension.

Posted by: Steve Hatch (---)
Date: September 21, 2022 07:59PM

Duplicate MSG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2022 01:59PM by Steve Hatch.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 22, 2022 11:03PM

Tom,
There is another pretty simple solution to your issue.

Just fabricate a 2 foot extension - on which you mount your head stock and motor.

One generally doesn't have any thing going on with the first couple of feet from the butt cap on a rod that requires the use of a wrapper.

Best wishes

Date: September 23, 2022 10:52AM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tom,
> There is another pretty simple solution to your
> issue.
>
> Just fabricate a 2 foot extension - on which you
> mount your head stock and motor.
>
> One generally doesn't have any thing going on with
> the first couple of feet from the butt cap on a
> rod that requires the use of a wrapper.
>
>
> Best wishes

Roger, THANKS, that is the most practical and economic way of fixing this issue. So long as I get the ALPS chuck mounted firmly on the base.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 23, 2022 01:08PM

Tom,
Just to share a picture:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

A few years ago, I had decided to replace the wrapper bed. I found a 10 foot long piece of 2x4 aluminum channel that I used for the base. I had a friend with a Mill to mill slots in the top surface of the channel to mount rod rests, as well as holes to mount the motor.

Since my head stock - including the motor underneath the head stock is only 6 inches long, I use only that much length of the wrapper bed.
With my back issues, I do not stand doing any jobs. As a result, I installed rollers in the form of high quality skate board bearings to allow the wrapper bed to roll back and forth in front of my work station with tools, thread, light and misl items. I also installed brakes on the wrapper bed, so that when I work on a particular guide, I roll the bed into position, set the brakes and complete the word. Then, retract the brakes, roll to the next guide position and complete the work at that guide location.

This means that I do not move myself, the foot pedal, the control box, nor the lights, tools or anything else. The only thing that is moving is the wrapper bed, motor, chuck and rod.

Just another way to get the job done.

Date: September 23, 2022 07:42PM

roger wilson Wrote:
> Tom,
> Just to share a picture:
>
> [www.rodbuilding.org]
> p/photo/16981/title/power-wrapper-bed-with-rollers
> -and-brakes/cat/508
>
> A few years ago, I had decided to replace the
> wrapper bed. I found a 10 foot long piece of 2x4
> aluminum channel that I used for the base. I had
> a friend with a Mill to mill slots in the top
> surface of the channel to mount rod rests, as well
> as holes to mount the motor.
Since my head stock - including the motor
> underneath the head stock is only 6 inches long, I
> use only that much length of the wrapper bed.
> With my back issues, I do not stand doing any
> jobs. As a result, I installed rollers in the
> form of high quality skate board bearings to allow
> the wrapper bed to roll back and forth in front of
> my work station with tools, thread, light and misl
> items. I also installed brakes on the wrapper
> bed, so that when I work on a particular guide, I
> roll the bed into position, set the brakes and
> complete the word. Then, retract the brakes, roll
> to the next guide position and complete the work
> at that guide location.
>
> This means that I do not move myself, the foot
> pedal, the control box, nor the lights, tools or
> anything else. The only thing that is moving is
> the wrapper bed, motor, chuck and rod.
>
> Just another way to get the job done.

Very interesting and informative Roger. Isn't it amazing given a challenge what you can do to overcome it. Great idea on the rollers and the brakes. A bit off topic but my best friend lost the use of his right arm very early in life. He says I am not handicapped just a bit impaired. When my wife passed he offered to go the ICRBE with me since he knew how much We liked going there. On the return trip home he said, you now what Tom i think I would like to make a fishing rod !!! So we worked on a plan and if you could see his work with only one hand, and how he mastered the craft, you would be amazed. He showed Billy Vivona his decretive cross warp at the show, Billy was amazed. It took him ten hours and one thread at a time but he did it without any help from me.

Tom

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 26, 2022 02:33PM

Tom, I know exactly what you're talking about with the head stock taking up usable bed space. The way I get around it is, I have my base sections attached to two pieces of 1 5/8" aluminum unistrut. If I need more usable bed space, I just pull out the screws that are attaching the base section with the chuck on it, and spread the sections about 5 inches apart, then reattach the base to the unistrut.

It may not look all nice and professional, but it costs nothing, and is easy to do. I do it after I've wrapped the butt or stripper guide to avoid any potential problem with positioning the rod stand.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 26, 2022 06:56PM

David Baylor Wrote:
> Tom, I know exactly what you're talking about with
> the head stock taking up usable bed space. The way
> I get around it is, I have my base sections
> attached to two pieces of 1 5/8" aluminum
> unistrut. If I need more usable bed space, I just
> pull out the screws that are attaching the base
> section with the chuck on it, and spread the
> sections about 5 inches apart, then reattach the
> base to the unistrut.
>
> It may not look all nice and professional, but it
> costs nothing, and is easy to do. I do it after
> I've wrapped the butt or stripper guide to avoid
> any potential problem with positioning the rod
> stand.

David, that is an excellent idea. So simple yet so effective, I am going to give that a try.........Thanks

Tom

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 27, 2022 07:52AM

Tom, glad I could provide an alternative suggestion to what others have offered. Since my bed sections are screwed to the unistrut I didn't need to use the connecting straps for the bed sections, so it's super simple to do.

Thus far I haven't had to move a rod stand across the gap when applying finish, but if needed, we know how easy that would be.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster