I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pac Bay RW-3L Trouble Shooting
Posted by: Steve Hatch (---)
Date: September 20, 2022 01:20PM

I have an older Pac Bay RW-3L wrapper that has stopped working or works intermittently. I replaced the foot pedal with a new foot pedal and it worked for several weeks, but now, same problems. I checked the wiring in both the foot pedal and under the motor and everything is good. I direct wired the motor and it runs at high speed. Finish motor runs when switched on. Any ideas on how to trouble shoot? New foot pedal is the exact model and specs as the original. Control board? Potentiometer? I'm desperate with a dozen rods behind.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pac Bay RW-3L Trouble Shooting
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 20, 2022 03:54PM

Did you check the motor's brushes? Motors do that when the brushes are toast, direct drive would max. the amps and the motor would just hum along with no load.

Date: September 20, 2022 04:22PM

Thanks, I can disassemble and check the brushes. I'm getting nothing when I press the foot pedal. No hum, nothing.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 20, 2022 06:05PM

I had that problem and it was the potentiometer

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---)
Date: September 20, 2022 06:11PM

There is another rheostat knob behind the drying motor. Not so sure that that could be a problem but a simple voltmeter will tell if it has continuity thoughout the range ? Roger Wilson is out chief electrical engineer and hasn't weighed in on this yet.

Date: September 21, 2022 01:17PM

Thanks Tom

I checked the continuity of the Rheostat with my voltmeter and I have no continuity reading throughout the range. I think you identified the problem. Now, where do I find a replacement?

Date: September 21, 2022 01:55PM

I would contact pacific bay direct.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: September 21, 2022 02:35PM

Steve,
Apparently, Tom W. may have identified your issue (a secondary rheostat) which would be a good thing. Tom also mentioned that Roger Wilson is the site’s resident EE and he has graciously helped me with electrical issues a number of times and many other people as well. With all due respect to Tom, consider seeking Roger’s knowledge, insight and advice as well. Good luck.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: September 21, 2022 04:32PM

Duplicate MSG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2022 04:33PM by Steve Hatch.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 22, 2022 10:58PM

Steve,
If it is only the potentiometer, I may have one on hand.

Can you take a picture of the unit and in particular - copy any numbers that might be on the pot.

With a picture, I can likely identify the type and possibly the value of the unit.

Note:
Yes, I am a retired Electrical Engineer, but I simply like to help people fix things. I am a happy dude if I am fixing something.

By the way, if you have the standard 5000 rpm ac motor and a typical resistor style foot pedal - you can normally just pick up an inexpensive Triac style light dimmer, hook it between the ac line cord and the foot pedal and motor and have everything work well.

For example:

[www.homedepot.com]

Best wishes

Date: September 23, 2022 01:23PM

Thanks for the assist Roger.

There are no numbers on either side of the speed control rheostat. It is identical to the Pac Bay RW-1/Rheostat shown online. I have a call in to Pac Bay, no response yet. Do you have the RW-1 speed control rheostat?

Steve H.

Date: September 23, 2022 01:41PM

Steve, your in good hands, Roger is the BEST.

TOM IN

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: September 23, 2022 03:37PM

Tom,
Be careful!!! Don’t give Roger a big head = he is already hard enough to get-along with!!! Just kidding, Roger is quite the opposite!!!!!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster