I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ice rod help
Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.176.90.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 19, 2022 11:14AM

Trying to build a ice rod for a friend in ND. Planning on using the V-line 36" Walleye wrecker. I need all information for the build; handle size, handle length, guide size and location....etc. Being from Florida, I have not made an ice rod before. I appreciate any input. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ice rod help
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 19, 2022 11:28AM

Mark,
Use a 6 inch long grip.
Use 4 guides starting with a size 10 and then go to a size 5 to the tip top.

Place the first guide at 12 inches and space the rest as needed.

Best wishes

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: September 19, 2022 11:56AM

I built a couple for my buddy in Chicago. They were 39" so I used 5 guides. What Roger said is what I would do on the 36". The reel seat needs some research. Ask your friend to send some pics of his ice rods with closeups of the seats. Seafoam and hot pink looks pretty nice for ice. Wrap the blank section just before the tip with 3/4" of hot pink for low light conditions. Gotta use CP to retain the bright colors.

Posted by: Stan Daubinawski (---.sub-174-249-218.myvzw.com)
Date: September 19, 2022 12:07PM

for an Ice Reel Seat I just use a straight Cork Grip(Tennessee) and then use Silicone Tape to attach the Reel to the Cork, no reel seat needed.

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: September 19, 2022 09:50PM

Stan,that seems to be the most popular way to affix the reel to an ice rod.

Date: September 19, 2022 10:40PM

What kind of guides would work best? I have an assortment to choose from.

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---)
Date: September 20, 2022 10:49AM

Eric Vossler is the designer of V-line blanks and a very highly regarded rod builder (the blanks are also sold through Mudhole.) This chart is his recommendation for number of guides and placement. [www.vlinecustomrods.com]

As to guide size. Ask your friend what size spinning reel he plans to use to determine the stripper guide size - usually a 1000 size or so for a walleye rod.

Tape the guides on and do a static test with a similar size reel to double check the guide placement, AND to check for "line thump" when reeling with a load on the rod and adjust the stripper placement and or size if needed.

My guides for that rod would a size 12M (match) stripper, an 8 SV, and #4 size wire fly guides for the rest of the rod including wrapping one on as the tip top.

Pac Bay Minina, or Mudhole's CRB MXG and VXG guides are my preferred guides along with wire fly guides. No need for titanium "flex" guides - just because they're more expensive doesn't mean that they're better... A wrapped on fly guide or a tube style tip top is fine and a matter of personal preference. I generally avoid tip tops with ceramic inserts on ice rods as they have more surfaces that gather water and lead to the tip icing up more.

Good luck.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 20, 2022 04:32PM

Dan,
Since there is no casting with an ice rod, one can normally use one size guide from the start to finish. This is particularly if one uses one of the new level wind reels.

Of if you are using a spinning guide, I like to use one tall match guide is about a size 8 or 10 - to minimize line drag and then size 4 to the tip. Or, if fishing in icing conditions- then go to a size 6, 8 or 10 depending on the amount of icing that you may experience.

When I build ice rods that are routinely used out of doors with no shelter in -20 to -40F with 40 mph winds blowing, I never put anything smaller than a size 10 guide on an ice rod. For these rods, I don't use guides that have inserts in the guide. Then, when the ice gets bad, just wack the rod against the ice and all of the ice falls off.

Normally, for these conditions, I only use fiberglass for the blank construction. Fiberglass is many times stronger than graphite - especially in very frigid conditions.

Be safe

Date: September 20, 2022 05:20PM

Thanks everyone,

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster