I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Swimbait rod
Posted by: Rick Boley (104.220.94.---)
Date: September 17, 2022 11:00AM

Another newbe question. Swimbait rod my friend, he will be using 50#braid which he says is 12# mono diameter. I'm looking at casting guides from Alps. The Alps MXN are for 12-30# line and the XN are for 25-50# line. Are the recommend weights of the guides based on line diameter or test of the line? Easier question is which guides should I go with?

Thanks Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Swimbait rod
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: September 17, 2022 12:44PM

Lxn is all you need

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 17, 2022 06:54PM

Thomas is correct, line rating and powers are not linear, freshwater rated rods for the same line class are lower powered. I have a saltwater rod I built in 1985 with bass class guides that has survived fish to 10 ft. long and hundreds of lbs. with no damage using 80 lb. braid and 100 lb. leaders. Transport, getting stepped on, etc. and how it's stored are bigger factors in my guide selection.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2022 06:58PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Rick Boley (104.220.94.---)
Date: September 17, 2022 11:59PM

Ok, Thanks

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: September 18, 2022 03:41AM

One thing to keep in mind with braided line , despite what braided line manufacturers have always indicated, you should choose a braided line based on what you need it to do and NOT based on what a certain braid strengths mono equivalent diameter happens to be .

Choosing braided line based on what mono diameter you used to use before switching to braid is really limiting it's ability to greatly increase not only your fishing enjoyment but to also greatly increase your rod/reels performance potential particularly with spinning gear .

You can pull a car off the ocean floor with 50 pound braid , exaggerating of course but it's so ridiculously strong and so ridiculously overkill for most types of fishing . I do nothing but surf fish and have been for many decades and the highest pound braid I occasionally use is 20 pound and that's only when I'm targeting very large fish . For general everyday usage I have always strongly favored 10 to 14 pound braid which I've verified breaks at 28 to 36 pounds consistently . Most surf anglers back in the day spooled up with 17 to 20 pound mono and landed giant surf fish regularly and that mono in the 17 to 20 pound test range did not break at double it's advertised rating. Those lines broke very close to their listed ratings . That should give you an idea of how much lower you can go with braid and still easily land large fish quickly and efficiently

Abrasion resistance is a factor but not nearly as much as some make it sound

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 18, 2022 09:38AM

To be sure about line/leader strength a cheap spring scale, or just a #30 weight can be used to test strength. The most common result of this test, especially with braid, is your knot will fail - which is a bad thing but a good thing to know - and fix.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: September 18, 2022 10:55AM

I used #6 rings on my NFC SWB808 rig. I run #40 braid on it to lessen throwing off/busting off my lure if my reel backlashes to a sudden stop during a cast (not to fight fish). Using an FG knot and #25 pound mono or fluoro leader makes a decent sized knot, and the #6 ring passes it just fine; I'd go smaller guides if throwing straight mono or fluoro.

This is a bit off topic, but related to guide size choices: Braided lines are amazing for their suppleness, diameter to # test ratio, minimal stretch, and vibration transmission. Braid also has its limitations when that smaller diameter digs into the spool, can cut your hand, and more visible to the fish that care about line visibility. What cris said is so true: Chose a line if it fits what you want it to DO.

The size of guide, in my mind, is more about other factors such as line flow and leader passage than 'strength'. Even the smallest guides are brutishly strong.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 18, 2022 12:15PM

Take a rod off your rack that has a comparable power to the swimbait blank and string it up, fill an empty milk jug with water and give that 8 lbs. a lift, there isn't one respected manufacturer of guides out there that builds a guide that won't withstand that weight and more if you hung that same weight off that single guide. It won't even visibly deflect let alone bend.

Posted by: Danny Smith (---)
Date: October 03, 2022 03:43PM

I made the same mistake. I went to 50 lb. on my float rod because of the line diameter.. A friend convinced me to change to 20 lb. It was amazing in the casting difference with the smaller line. I have never had a trout break 20 lb. line.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 04, 2022 06:09PM

I use 65# braid for its' diameter. 20 and 30# braid cuts into cover much easier than larger diameter braid. And that cutting into cover increases hang ups. IMO if you're fishing heavy cover. large diameter braid is the way to go. That is if you're going to even use braid.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster