I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Trying to Keep Up
Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 20, 2022 01:49PM

Phil,
AAHH the errors of a misspent youth.

However, My dream did come true I made it to college (G.I. bill) and studied engineering and with of all the problems ,exams, labs, demonstrations, etc, a rod blank was never an example. Maybe rod blanks are addressed in post graduate work in tune with more sophisticated students.

I enjoy reading your posts and responses and occasionally you slip in a gem worth remembering.

Good luck with your crusade against the advertisers and manufacturers.

Against my better judgement............

I

"PONGED"

You are a good button pusher.

Regards

John

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 20, 2022 02:52PM

Damping is "speed." Hoop strength is of no concern and most would have no use for it nor know what to do with it. Dead lift strength is the better indicator of how much a blank can lift before failing. There is no such thing as "tracking." The rod moves along whatever axis you move it along, although marketers like to use that term to foster the idea that their product does something better than someone else's.

All the information you want is already available.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 20, 2022 08:22PM

As a rod builder I have not purchased a rod in some time, but I still see lots of rod advertisements, and besides rod length and (less frequently) rod weight, these ads contain no useful information about the physical attributes of rods - or rod blanks. Adjectives about rods don't count but physical properties of rods do, for me at least. Howeverl, asking for measured, dynamic properties of rods seems to infuriate anglers who prefer advertising copy to physical measurements?

Date: September 20, 2022 10:40PM

Advertisements don't usually contain such information, but the catalog listings do.

There is no such thing as a "dynamic property" of a rod. You made that up just like the advertising people do. It's as bad as saying a rod has a "soulful action."

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 21, 2022 07:46AM

Regarding: "Any good custom rod builder should be able to look at the measurements of a rod blank and tell you about how it's going to perform - where it'll flex, how far it'll deflect under about any given load, how fast it will respond and recover, etc. If you can't do that, don't blame others for failing to provide yet more information - take yourself back to rod building school and study the rods you have now. Measure them and see how those measurements correlate to those rods and how they perform. Now you have a place to start from."

Hit the nail right on the head!

Date: September 24, 2022 10:42AM

For you which is the most important attribute of a custom-built rod: its appearance or its performance? I can recall but one post on this site which provided physical facts about a rod's performance - with numbers - but then my memory isn't what it used to be. Before length and weight "any good custom rod builder" would wish to know the materials used to fabricate the rod. BTW: There are two schools of thought as to what constitutes a "good" rod builder: the one who makes the the most beautiful rods or the one who makes the best functioning rods; Show versus Go. For over 60 years of rod building I have favored performance over appearance.

Date: September 24, 2022 11:41AM

Plenty of physical facts have been presented on this forum over the past 20 years. Ten times that number have been in the magazine over the past 25 years. Data. Facts. Measurements. Test results. You choose not to look at them.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.broadband.sta.mhtc.net)
Date: September 24, 2022 12:12PM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It may be that the average rod-builder is not
> sophisticated enough to appreciate the measured
> physical behavior of rod blanks and rods, as Mark
> B. assumes.

It wasn't an assumption, no rod manufacturer is going to share that information with an average rod builder, much less their competition. Sharing your proprietary information with your competitors isn't something any manufacturer rod builder or other will share. Phil Ewanicki is assuming that companies are willing to share information with someone that is more than happy to steal that processes and incorporate it into their manufacturing process, companies that are on top of the game don't share with those that aren't willing to put the work in themselves. Sounds like Phil Ewanicki should do some reverse engineering and share with the rodbuilding community instead of wishing someone else would do his work for him.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.broadband.sta.mhtc.net)
Date: September 24, 2022 12:21PM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are two schools of thought as to what
> constitutes a "good" rod builder: the one who
> makes the the most beautiful rods or the one who
> makes the best functioning rods; Show versus Go.
> For over 60 years of rod building I have favored
> performance over appearance.

I have found over the years that anyone who makes this statement doesn't have the ability to actually build a show quality rod that performs as well as a "Performance" rod. Usually the people that make this statement can barely build a presentable rod.

Date: September 24, 2022 12:46PM

Another name for the "feel" of a rod blank (and a rod) is its resonance. This numerical measurement is a whole LOT more informative about rod performance than "medium" or "fast" or even "extra fast". The vast majority of rod builders are perfectly capable of understanding this scientific measurement and its implications for selecting rod blanks - that is, selecting the blank which best suits the type of rod they are building. Why don't blank builders publish the resonant frequencies of their blanks? It certainly is not the cost of doing so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2022 12:47PM by Phil Ewanicki.

Date: September 24, 2022 01:15PM

Because most builders and fishermen wouldn't know what the heck RF was or how to use it. You'd have to spend untold amounts of money to educate the general public and most wouldn't care to begin with. The other terms you used are very, very important. They describe the action of a rod and over many decades a good many rod builders and fishermen understand what those terms describe. If your goal is to sell rods, then you make things simple.

But nothing anyone says here will satisfy you. You're complaining about things that no one here has any control over. I'd advise you to take your complaints to the blank and rod manufacturers. In the meantime, I think the forum would be better if you took a little "time out" and allowed everyone else to get back to rod building topics.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: September 24, 2022 03:31PM

I warned everyone, when you feed a troll it will never go away. For a troll it’s all about provoking a response. I really get tired of this nonsensical back and forth.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.nux.net)
Date: September 24, 2022 03:56PM

This is the problem with forums where posts pop up to the top anytime a response is made. It turns into a chat room style place where a half dozen people just chat or argue back and forth and the people who want quality information interaction end up going elsewhere. It has ruined more than one forum and it will ruin this one. You have 20+ years of proof that this forum worked. Why hand it over to a few people and ruin it?

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 25, 2022 11:52AM

Mike Ballard has a point. A number of these posts wind up being "placate the poster" threads and turn into ego battles. A lively discussion is always good but when it becomes a crusade it gets monotonous and irritating and having it pop up to the top each time a rebuttal is made it only exacerbates the situation.

When a post moves down the list it tends to become less important and dies out more quickly..

I apologize for pushing this thread up, but I had to add my two cents.

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: September 25, 2022 02:48PM

I disagree. The problem is not the format. It is something else.

Date: September 25, 2022 06:13PM

I tried the current "return to the top" format early on. It didn't work for the very issues that John outlined. It's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of what we know happened. That's why I got away from it and the forum flourished under the descending posts format.

Alex has said that something having to do with the ability to post photos on the forum requires the return to the top format. So the best thing to do if someone can't let something go is just don't respond.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 25, 2022 06:48PM

Hello All.

Tom X 1000.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster