I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Trying to Keep Up
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 16, 2022 01:37PM

It seems more and more rods are designed for, constructed for, or named for individual species, like "bass rods", or specific fishing techniques, like "jigging rods", or specific lures, like "buzz bait rods". Is there a single source that describes the distinguishing physical characteristics of these species specific or technique-specific or lure-specific rod types so old-timers (like me) can follow the latest advances in fishing tackle? An overview of the unique physical features of these rods would be nice; an overview with numbers would be even better.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trying to Keep Up
Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: September 16, 2022 01:43PM

I will answer this the same way I answer the age old, "What did you catch em on?"

Answer: Experience

Long answer is that I would recommend a read such as "Magic Wands" and just redact any mention of manufacturer. As anglers, over the years, we have trial and errored our way to know what works best for different baits and what different baits work well for the target quarry.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 16, 2022 01:55PM

Commercial rod enterprises do this so that the consumer doesn't have to bother with numbers, specifics, etc. I was talking with an industry icon a couple weeks back and he said the practice of labeling rods as species or technique specific has sold more rods than probably any other marketing effort of the past 100 years.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: September 16, 2022 02:26PM

Date: September 16, 2022 02:30PM

As long as consumers value grand promises over measured results the products available to them will not improve. I try unsuccessfully to name a specific advance in rod building components over the last 25 years - an advance based upon measured results, not paid testimonials, no-numbers claims, or plain old vague bushwa.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 16, 2022 02:37PM

To me it is action, power and mono line size. If I know the lure or bait to a specific fish species, then I can build a rod for it. The client can call it whatever they want. It makes it a little easier if the client tells you they want a specific type rod like a jigging or jerk bait rod, because then I can consider a suggested manufacturer's named blank. It may not be the right choice, but it is a direction. Don't make it more complicated than it has to be.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: September 16, 2022 05:15PM

Ewaniki, is again dead wrong !! Rods and blanks have improved vastly over the years. Just a few of the improvements have been: weight, strength and action choices. This is markedly so in fly rods!

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 16, 2022 07:48PM

Marketing's a bit different today than it was 40 - 100 years ago.

Date: September 16, 2022 08:15PM

Pick up a sporting magazine from the 1950's, or even earlier. Field and Stream, Sports Afield, etc. Marketing isn't at all different nowadays.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 16, 2022 09:53PM

PING!

Date: September 17, 2022 08:02AM

Improvement in fishing rods is a matter of faith, not fact. Do today's rods cast farther or more accurately than the rods of the past? Who knows, since the actual physical performance of rods remains unadvertised, unpublished, unknown? Hoop strength? Tracking? Adspeak has not changed much in 50 or 60 years. It's still a matter of adjectives and and emotions, not measurements and facts.

Date: September 17, 2022 04:48PM

RodMaker has published these measurements and facts over the past 25 years. How is it that you're not aware of this?

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 17, 2022 06:03PM

Hi Tom.

If you check his posts you will see he is a pot stirrer.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 17, 2022 08:31PM

Advertising reaches us in a much different manner than it did way back then. We are bombarded with advertising 24/7 today before we ever pick up a magazine. Targeted advertising.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (12.119.140.---)
Date: September 17, 2022 10:10PM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Improvement in fishing rods is a matter of faith,
> not fact. Do today's rods cast farther or more
> accurately than the rods of the past? Who knows,
> since the actual physical performance of rods
> remains unadvertised, unpublished, unknown? Hoop
> strength? Tracking? Adspeak has not changed much
> in 50 or 60 years. It's still a matter of
> adjectives and and emotions, not measurements and
> facts.

Do rods cast more accurately and further? No...these are abilities of the fisherman...not the rod.
Are rods better? Emphatically yes. The materials have improved...the fibers and the resin...no question about it.
Rods today are stronger and lighter than rods of yesteryear....both graphite and glass.
The guides have also improved...the ceramic rings are lighter and harder...the frames are lighter.

Date: September 18, 2022 10:07AM

I assume someone has actually tested and revealed the breaking strength of rods in the past and in the present, maybe even the makers of these rods - but they have not made their findings known. I assume that reputable rod makers actually test the breaking strength and harmonics of their new blanks, although their results aren't widely shared. I guess the average angler is more interested in the soulful, smooth, powerful, and sensitive qualities of blanks than in boring facts such as feet, inches, harmonics, hoop strength . . .

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: September 18, 2022 10:40AM

What is it gonna take to get this clown banned?

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: September 18, 2022 01:50PM

He must be living in the dark ages if he cannot see the improvements in rods and blanks, most can and do not need data to observe it! His posts pretty generally are without merit and usually voice his distain for marketing and advertising, so much so that many of us are fed up with his diatribes!

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: September 18, 2022 02:09PM

PONG!

Date: September 18, 2022 03:03PM

He has not broken any rules that would result in him being banned. So the best course of action, if you do not care for his conversation simply do not respond.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster