I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Fly rod blanks. Unusual size?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 13, 2022 01:51PM

One of the funniest days I had up north was a day of fly fishing pike on a knee deep flat just immediately after ice out on that flat. When the wind picked up later on we fished bass jigs with big twister tails, watching the swell and boil of the water just before the take in that shallow water was such fun.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 13, 2022 05:12PM

Taylor, don't believe everything you see on this forum. It's all opinions. While they are valuable, there are so many variables involved that what works for one may not work for another. And there is the credibility issue.

Posted by: Ross Montgomery (209.52.88.---)
Date: September 15, 2022 01:40PM

I know a few manufacturers make short heavy weight rods for accurately tossing large flies into the mangroves for baby tarpon and snook, etc. could check T&T’s catalog as they still sell blanks. I’d be surprised it someone doesn’t have those type blanks available.

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: September 15, 2022 04:45PM

I think St Croix still makes the mojo bass at 7-11, no blanks at geeks

Posted by: William Giokas (---)
Date: September 25, 2022 08:30PM

Why not try a switch rod., while it is longer (11 ft) you use two hands to cast it and it is easier on the shoulder . Bill

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (185.202.220.---)
Date: September 26, 2022 11:49AM

Taylor,
It's difficult for us on this site to actually know what your issue(s) is.

IMO - most fly rods are 9'0" for a reason.
SUBSTANTIALLY shorter and you get less distance and must increase your stroke speed = fatigue. SUBSTANTIALLY longer and you are increasing the fulcrum length = more stress on wrist, arm and shoulder.

Perhaps your 9'0" fly rod is a "price-point" rod = stiff. Or, as others have intimated - your skill level is not what it should be.

A well designed medium-fast blank coupled with the correct line should be able to get you where you want to be.
A poorly designed blank with the wrong line will not.

Perhaps you should email me with what you're using as your current outfit - rod details and line details - size flies used Or, tell us here.
Regards,
Herb
CTS Rep

PS
Taylor,
If you are stressing your arm and shoulder - try using the following casting style. Start at the 2:00 minute mark.
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2022 11:55AM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: September 26, 2022 06:38PM

I’m the odd man and like shorter rods. The 8-4” meridian is very nice.

I fish inshore marshes and don’t wade. So boat or kayak, redfish or bass. The shorter rods are quite handy and much easier on the shoulder. 90% of my shots are undef 40. In the scheme of Don’t Do It ;) I had an extra Iconoglass 8wt blank (nephew who fishes a Method didn’t like mine) so for grins, I cut a foot off the butt and made a Banty grip. At 7-6” it casts very much likes it’s 8-6” father. I have a bass bug line on it and it just loads itself for short quick shots. It is quickly becoming a kayak favorite.

Out on the flat where I need a longer cast, yep, a 9’

To the Op, the 8 weight Ross flystick was a nice rod.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster