I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
hair jig rod blank
Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: September 09, 2022 11:13AM

Hello everyone
been out of the building game for a few years since i moved. wanna get back in and next rod ill need is for light hair jigs for smallies. weights 1/16-1/8oz. probably pair with 3000 Ci4 and 6lb braid to 6lb floro leader. thinking 7'3 to 7'6 would be optimal

few blanks im considering
MHX HS9600 cut to 7'6
MHX SJ9000
MHX NSJ 870
MHX NSJ871
liberty DS760

popping blanks?
I dont have any experience with popping blanks other than a lami xmg50 that was way stiffer in the tip than i expected. didnt throw light baits well imo

Recomendations for rainshadow immortal blanks? or or anything from rainshadow for that matter.

in the past i would probably of looked at the 76MLXF from st croix but doesnt look like rodgeeks has available.

TIA
Matt

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: hair jig rod blank
Posted by: Jason Gofron (---)
Date: September 09, 2022 04:46PM

I have the HS9600. I bought and built that blank for hair.

Lol honestly never used it for hair. Once I received the blank it seemed to have a stronger tip than I ever expected. It’s now my favorite rod for launching small swimbaits even used it throwing lighter tubes. The rod I use now is a phenix 76M umbx. Phenix over rates their blanks. The M power rating is more ML not remotely a M power blank. The phenix does a very good job. I use a high strand braid 10# or smaller and a 6-8# fluoro leader. Oh and I kept the HS9600 at its stock length. I wanted the extra distance.

I don’t have any experience with the other blanks but the liberty sounds promising and sj9600 I’d be curious how others view a SJ blank vs a HS blank. I also own the croix sc5 76mlf. Not to take you away from building but croix in their new victory series has a 710mlxf meant specifically for hair. Heard great things about the victory.

Maybe other can chime in on maybe a popping blank over the HS but popping rods might be to slow/mod action

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2022 05:01PM by Jason Gofron.

Date: September 09, 2022 05:03PM

great info jason. thank you
yes i saw that SC Victory hair jig rod and tbh might be an option too.

read somewhere on here that the sj9000 is similar to a hotshot blank.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 09, 2022 06:22PM

The Lamiglas XMG 50 LSJ 901 would have got the job done. The 9600 and 9000 MHX blanks I have got tips much like the 76MLXF but they don't have the backbone, nothing like the HS and SJ blanks from others that share the same line ratings, but they are older models from when the series was new to Mudhole, sounds like they changed them from the prior post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2022 06:30PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 09, 2022 06:29PM

At one time MHX had both a HS9000 the MHX SJ9000 listed and they were the same blank. The reason I know this, is that a number of years ago I had a warranty replacement for a SJ9000 and they sent me a HS9000. When I called them they told me they were the same blank, just a different label. They no longer have a HS9000 listed.
The SJ9000 makes into a very nice light jig rod. Very fast, with a light tip, and plenty of backbone. I have made a number of them. People use them for throwing light jigs for speckled trout, bass and crappie.
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2022 06:31PM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (199.241.225.---)
Date: September 09, 2022 07:01PM

You may want to look at the Batson walleye blanks, the IMMWS76ML-TC is a really great all around and should be light enough to throw light hair jigs.

Series : Immortal RX8
Item Length (in) : 7'6"
Rod Blank Color : Titanium Chrome Gloss
Rod Blank Application : Jigs
Rod Blank Application : Slip Bobbers
Rod Blank Application : Lindy Rigging
Material : RX8 Graphite
Number of Pieces : 1
Action : Fast
Power : Medium-Light
Line Rating (lbs.) : 6-12lb.
Lure Weight Rating (oz.) : 1/8-3/8oz.
Weight (oz.) : 1.8oz.
Butt Diameter : 0.435
Tip Top Size : 4.0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2022 09:07AM by Mark Blabaum.

Date: September 09, 2022 07:23PM

spencer, thx ya got me thinking now. i have a lami LSJ781 i never built, wonder how that would work extended...

Norm ...good info there. thx for confirming the SJ/HS9000 blank being one in the same...

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 09, 2022 08:01PM

St. Croix SCV76MLXF

Date: September 09, 2022 11:46PM

Mark. that blank sounds promising.

Posted by: John Nesse (---)
Date: September 12, 2022 11:32AM

The Northfork SJ 732 X-Ray blank is exactly what you want. I use it regularly for smallmouth and walleyes casting 3/32 and 1/8 ounce jigs - it's dang near perfect. The "mirror black" x-ray blanks, if you haven't seen them, are beautiful.

Date: September 12, 2022 03:58PM

john thank for the recommendation....how are they to deal with these days. i hear alot of mixed reviews. i honestly dont have the energy to deal with another company with poor CS, extreme lead times, and lots of excuses on why they arwnt delivering what they say. maybe im way off as ive never dealt with them....there website gives me a headache too.

always hear great things about the blanks tho. so theres that

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: September 12, 2022 04:25PM

My last order shipped exactly 2 weeks after order. 10 blanks. Arrived today. Everything in order. They are different to deal with, but they are a manufacturer vs others. No bad experience. Just slower compared to Voodoo.

Maybe Michael or someone can chime in on the backbone of the Point Blank 701L would fit

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 12, 2022 06:39PM

My history with NFC is that only once have I had to wait for 10 days to hear something shipped, remember complaints are always voiced, good results are rarely voiced. The impression that you didn't have to wait for product even decades ago "in the good old days" from many loved companies is just not my experience, it happens from time to time with all of them.

Date: September 12, 2022 09:51PM

hey thx guys. good to know on NFC. THX.

btw didnt mean to come off as bashing them

the 76MLXF croix keeps calling my name and honestly if they still offered blanks in sc3 it be a no brainer. ive test casted my SC369MLXF with 1/8OZ. hairjigs and can only assume the longer length would handle em and lighter even better

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.paw.cpe.atlanticbb.net)
Date: September 13, 2022 07:54AM

Matt

I think that the Lamiglas LSJ781 would be a outstanding blank to build for light jigging. I used that blank to build a spinning rod for light ligging (1/16th oz to 1/8th oz neds and grubs) for Pennsylvania river sized smallmouth bass, and it's one of my favorites. It casts very well and has enough backbone to feel good fighting smallies both small and large. If you prefer a longer rod, extend the butt. I bet it will make a fine hair jig rod! I wish that blank was still available !

Rog

Date: September 13, 2022 08:26AM

hey roger,
PA smallies is exactly what ill be chasing!! where ya from?

love the xmg50 blanks, one of my favorite lines of blanks to fish. unfortunately ive broken 3 out of the 4 I built. and im not one to break alot of rods. probably why ive stalled on building the 781 i have. that said. no sense in letting it sit and collect dust.
ill have to do a mock up and test it out. at the very least ill extend it 2 inches and use it for similar techniques you.mentioned

thx

Posted by: John Nesse (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 13, 2022 01:54PM

For what it's worth, I've had mixed results with NFC on shipping times. Sometimes it's fast, and sometimes it's slow. But unless you're in a hurry to get the rod built I think they're worth waiting for. I really do think you'd find that 732 blank to be exactly what you're looking for. I also built a DS-721 X-ray and found it to be a little light, but it sure was a fun rod to fish with. I used it for light dropshots primarily but eventually broke it and replaced with a different model. I've built a bunch of NFC rods over the past five years. Shipping can be slow sometimes, but I've only had good customer service and the product is always exceptional.

Date: September 13, 2022 07:54PM

thx again john. looked that blank up and you're right specs are right in line with what im looking for. the SCV76MLXF is out of stock so i put the NFC on the short list.

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.reverse-dns)
Date: September 13, 2022 08:52PM

I have heard rumors that the NFC HM SJ762 is a good hair jig blank similar to the G. Loomis 901’s. But, I have not fished a hair jig yet so I cannot confirm. THe SJ762 is good for the lighter Ned rigs.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.paw.cpe.atlanticbb.net)
Date: September 14, 2022 07:41AM

Matt

I am from Altoona and fish the Juniata River quite a lot.

Rog

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster